General kayak fishing question

bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
Just curious how much inshore water you cover in your kayak from one launch point? Like do you launch at one spot and travel miles and miles away on the yak or do you try to limit it to within a mile or 2 from launch point?

Replies

• Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    In the bay I don't have to go far from my launch to where the fish are (less than 1/2 mile). Offshore it may be more than 10 miles depending on the drift. I usually launch and land from the same spot, so I don't want too far of a paddle south against the current at the end of a long day. Some guys will take 2 trucks, leave one somewhere like pompano and drive south, launch from Dania and drift all the way up to Pompano. Everyone has different styles/strategies too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
    AH so thats the trick, my first kayak fishing trip was horrible. I paddled against the current/wind for a large chunk of it and was too exhausted to do anything else.
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I map all my trips out on google earth becuase im always curious. I did 7 miles thursday and 6.4 on Monday but ive done as much as 12 before in one day from one launch point, just depends on how far i have to go to find the fish that day.I fish the Indian River in Fort Pierce mostly
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    In the bay I don't have to go far from my launch to where the fish are (less than 1/2 mile). Offshore it may be more than 10 miles depending on the drift. I usually launch and land from the same spot, so I don't want too far of a paddle south against the current at the end of a long day. Some guys will take 2 trucks, leave one somewhere like pompano and drive south, launch from Dania and drift all the way up to Pompano. Everyone has different styles/strategies too.

Float plans are the best route considering where you are (tide changes, current, wind etc.). Most of all, you fish with a buddy. It's best when one of you has a vehicle that can carry more than one kayak. :Agree
  • krashkrash Posts: 593 Officer
    Inshore waters, I cover between 2 and 8 miles, round trip, in a fishing day, launch at sunrise and pack it in by 2pm... in my roto-molded ScupperPro which I just sold. I also have a Kazkazi Dorado that is a fiberglass hull and it allowed me to increase my daily distance to around 12 miles in the same time, as it paddles better.

The paddle craft you have, your paddling ability and stamina will have a lot to do with it.

I typically sight fish, plan out a location to hit today depending wind/weather predictions and tide, then I am chasing signs of fish.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Launch where the fish are if you're doing inshore. Choko/mingo you basically launch and you're on the fish. Miami there's a bunch of spots that 1/8-1/4 mile you're on the fish too. Inshore isn't the issue. Offshore is where you get into trouble. Usually you want to start fishing when you hit 100 feet of water which equals out to about 1.5~mile paddle from the beach. If the current is moving at 2+ kts I usually fish for less than an hour and paddle in. It just isn't worth it fighting the current all day. If the wind is 15-20+kts I don't paddle out. If the current isn't moving usually the bite is slow.

Only way to get around these conditions are to set up a drift like said above with two cars and use the current to your advantage With high winds you can brave it but down size how many lines you have out to minimize tangles and bring less equipment to deal with rough surf conditions when you come in(or just don't go out). If the current is dead try to fish near the inlet where the tide will at least get the water moving a bit and should increase the bite but then you need to be careful of boaters who come flying out and potential barges coming in/out.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    I have had days where I bet I wasn't more than a 1/4 mile from the ramp and there have been days where I covered 10 miles.
    It's amazing the number of fish that are very near boat ramps. I have caught plenty of slams within sight of the ramp.

On days (or at certain places I should say) where I plan on paddling a bit further from my launch location, I try to go with the tide both directions. Ride/fish the outgoing in the morning, ride/fish the incoming on the way back.
    It doesn't always work perfect though cause if the fish are really biting, I will stay longer and just paddle more when I decide to head in. Lol
  • limpetminerlimpetminer Posts: 317 Officer
    I usually fish offshore from 1 miles south of Sebastian Inlet to and inside the inlet, with a swing about .5 miles off the beach if that is where the fish are schooling and getting bait. On other days I will fish inshore north and south of the inlet and in and out of it, but I will not go through the inlet if the tide is surging. Somedays I will travel up and down the lagoon for a few miles, but most of my trips are the first two options. I keep everything tied down in my yak because I turn it over quite often in the surf off the inlet. I tie a rope to my paddle and then to the front of the yak so I can keep everything with me when I dump. Haven't lost any rods yet, but when I was green, I lost a camera I had around my neck.
    once-bitten-twice-shy-(page-picture).jpg