Pays to shop around

I found some 9' Lamiglass #25 and 30# G1000 live baits at Sea Isle Tackle in NY that were being closed out for $69.99. Mudhole lists them at $122.00! Sweetest deal I found in a while! Sorry bought the last 2 they had! :grin

Bad part is now I have to build one and match it with a Revo 60 NaCl....dang rod building gets expensive! Build a rod buy a reel, build a rod buy a reel...:banghead

Replies

• HopittyhopHopittyhop Posts: 302 Officer
    sell me one :)
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    Just finished the build on the 30# class G1000 108-1MH. The blank only weighs 5.2 ounces so I really went with a minimalist approach to components to really keep it superlight and no fancy butt wraps or thread work. Gonna match it with the Rev0 60 NaCl. Went with alconite guides and cork tape under the shrink tunign fro the fore grip for good balance and almost no weight added. its a size 17 Fuji exposed graphite trigger reel seat for added sensitivity and weight reduction. I also did the last 4 guides signle foot for even less weight. Can't wait to flip baits with it!
    20130419_113320.jpg
    20130419_113242.jpg
    20130419_113137.jpg
    20130419_113119.jpg
  • StevieDStevieD Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Like the simple look.....quality, no frills build....well done
    It now is matched with this:
    Revo60.jpg
  • rysherrysher Posts: 380 Deckhand
    cork tape adds more weight than butt wraps, especially the rubberized cork tape that is the msot common.
    Not quite sure I understand your comment - but the cork tape was placed under the shrink tubing on the foregrip to offer a little bit of cushion grip but weighs much less than using a 6 inch foam foregrip and aided in keeping the balance of the rod since the butt section is so light with no full length butt grip. I did not use cork tape anywhere else on the rod.
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    YOu sure are going light-weight, not much line on that reel. Is that to keep the weight down or you don't think you need much? :shrug
    That is just the mono before the braid...I spooled 240 yds of 50# PP Slick blue on it.
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    Not quite sure I understand your comment

i was under the impression that you didnt put fancy butt wraps to keep it light?
    minimalist approach to components to really keep it superlight and no fancy butt wraps or thread work.
    That is correct, I did no butt wraps to keep it light and minimal. You said
    rysher wrote: »
    cork tape adds more weight than butt wraps, especially the rubberized cork tape that is the msot common.

I used cork tape as a foregrip covered by shrink tubing...not a butt wrap, and the cork tape is lighter than a foam foregrip when it gets to be 6 inches or longer. This is a 30# class live bait rod, it has to have a sizeable foregrip.
    did you use the rubberized cork tape or the real "cork" cork tape?
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer

That is correct, I did no butt wraps to keep it light and minimal. You said

Very clean and beautifully crafted rod, thanks for sharing!

P.S.- I do not do butt wraps 'cause I suck at it, I have a friend who does incredible rod art work.
    did you use the rubberized cork tape or the real "cork" cork tape?

I use the kind that comes on a roll from mudhole. Its like 1/8" thick
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    I like. Do you have pics of the whole combo ? Did that reel come with a clamp ?
    The reel did not come with a clamp, I used a size 17 reel seat and it seems to lock down pretty good. I bought the delux reel seat, I would not cheap out on the standard or an off brand because of the lack of clamp with this reel. I left the setup on the boat will tryto take a pic Monday / Tuesday of whole set up. Broke it in on a little cobia that went about 10-12 lbs and whooped him easily. I am a little doubtful if it will be enought for a triple digit **** though- hope to find out soon.
    johnD wrote: »
    I like. Do you have pics of the whole combo ? Did that reel come with a clamp ?

20130514_182104.jpg
    20130514_182048.jpg
    looks beautiful
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    looks beautiful

x2 !!
  • phillyophillyo Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Nice work. My Dad worked at Sea-Isle for years. He still keeps his boat docked behind it. Great store.