Water Spots on Motor Cover

91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
Bill,

I just spent a week fishing Everglades Park and you are not allowed to wash your boat inside the Park. At the end of the week after washing the boat, I have large water spots all over my Yamaha Engine cover that I can't seem to remove. Prior to the trip I treated the engine cover and hull with a competitive product (Rejex). While the hull cleaned up fine, I can't seem to remove these spots all over the motor.

First what do you recommend to remove the water spots and second what product would you protect the motor cover with going forward?

Thanks.

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 510 Officer
    Star brite Water Spot Remover, followed by Star brie Premium Marine Polish with PTEF. In my experience the Premium Marine Polish provides a barrier and gloss as good as that from Rejex, but without the 12 hour cure time between applications.

The WSR is also a good spray detailer between full polishes.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
    Excellent information. I will order both tonight. I assume both products will also work on stainless and powder coated aluminum?
    I would not use the Premium Marine Polish on anodized aluminum. It's great on stainless steel, fiberglass, painted surfaces. I even use it on the windshield of my car & Jeep. It's better than Rain-X, imo.

The WSR can be applied to any non-porous surface.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 544 Officer
    Bill,

I used the Water Stain Remover. Very impressed. I had some spots on my polished stainless areas that had spots I couldn't rub off. One shot with the WSR and they look great and feel very smooth.

On the motor cover the spots were so aggressive, the WSR helped a lot but you can still see the spots in certain angles and lights. I'm pretty sure these spots are from the nasty foamy water in my livewell that gets in there when I have a ton of baits packed in there. When I plane off a little of the water will run out the back of the well into the splash well and then blow all over the motor. It pretty nasty stuff and it got baked on for a week Camping at Flamingo.

I am thinking it may take something a little more aggressive to remove like a very light rubbing compound. Any thoughts? I would really like to restore the finish and then protect with your Polish with PTF.

By the way, after I wiped the WSR off the motor cover the finish was smoother than it was with two coats of Rejex.

Thanks for all your help.
    You are welcome. I'd be hesitant to recommend rubbing compound on an outboard motor cowling where the paint won't be very thick. Try a cleaner degreaser 1st and if that doesn't work, then progress to a cleaner wax/polish.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,329 Captain
    Any toilet bowl cleaner containing HCL will rapidly remove suborn water spots from an outboard hood as well as baked on spots from the painted aluminum mid section.

Use gloves and wipe the product lightly on the surface with a rag and wait about 20 seconds. Rinse off with plenty of fresh water, dry, and treat with Starbrite polish with PTF. I just treated my black Suzuki, which had white spots that were resistant to everything else that I tried. Even oxalic acid containing wheel cleaner.

Just be very careful and rinse off every part of the engine. I missed 2 spots under my anti-ventilation plate and found holes eaten through the paint a few days later.
    Tidy Bowl is tough on boats. so Doc's advice to be careful is well worth following. There' s yet another reason we use the "right stuff" in our products. They get the job done and won't *#* up your boat. Use your own "just as good" remedies at your own risk.

Just sayin'

there's a reason our salt off is not just vinegar and we don't use muriatic acid for hull cleaners or straight bleach in our MSR.