Home Egret Boats

Looking for advice

Mark29860Mark29860 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Hello everyone , just found this site a couple days ago and need advice this will probably be long but bear with me. First let me say I have 2 boats a 16' G3 aluminum boat and a 21' Carolina Skiff DLV the one that is supposed to ride good. I have started looking at boats in the 19 ft range what I'm looking for is something light that's easy to move around a good dry ride plenty of storage and a large aerated bait well. I was looking at bay boats to start with but every since I saw the 189 nothing comes close . I would say about 80% of my fishing is freshwater either either live bait striper fishing or crappie fishing but I do like to drag my boat to the coast and fish fish for trout and flounder also like to throw the cast net during the SC shrimp baiting season I've said all that to ask do you all think the 189 is the right boat for me just want to make sure it would be ok to fish the jetties the other thing is I'm almost 50 and not quite as quick on my feet as I used to be how stable is the boat to be fishing off the front deck in choppy water. Thanks for the help

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The best advice i can give you is try to find someone in your area to give you test ride or a day of fishing on one. You will be able to see if the boat works for you and what you’re trying to accomplish.
    I can tell you all the great things about the boat and what it can do. But you need to see if it works for you and your style of fishing. I'm sure if you post where your located you'll find someone that would be willing to take you out.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Mark,

Since you mentioned fishing freshwater stripers and dragging your boat to the coast fishing the jetties, I am guessing you are in Upstate/Midlands of SC. I am from Greenville, SC and will be moving back to Greenville from NC in the next couple of years. When I built my 189, I built it to be a multi-function boat that will be used 80% of the time fishing for freshwater stripers and 20% of the time making the long trek to the Keys and Everglades Park targeting tarpon. I wanted something very easy to tow, but a good stable platform and plenty of room for a bait tank for gizzard shad, herring or trout for stripers. My Dad has a 22' Pathfinder that he striper fishes out of and I wanted something just as fishable but easier to tow and store. I emphatically feel like I hit a homerun with my 189. Previously I have had a Maverick 18 Master Angler and a Hells Bay 18, neither boat came close to the flexibility this boat offers to use in various situations. The maverick Master Angler wasnt bad but it constantly had a wet cockpit and the quality or ride wasn't comparable.

It is incredibly stable, just as stable as the Pathfinder and rides better than the Pathfinder. It has best rod storage of any boat I have ever been in. The overall storage capacity is incredible as well. For instance, in the front compartment I can keep my sea claw anchor and a ton of rope, a large anchor ball, a 5 gallon bucket and 4 cast nets. It's crazy how much storage this boat has, way more than the 22 Pathfinder.

If you look up my build pics you will see that I added 2 airstone bubblers to my livewell, those are specifically for keeping blue back herring alive since you can't recirculate the hot lake water with them. That well is so good I still haven't had to ever put my shad tank in the boat. The only reason I would have to put it in is if I was catching gizzards myself and I needed to filter the water as they purge.

Also, I got the removable pole holders on my boat. I had Frank make the threads larger to fit my Hoover Rod Holders. I basically have 4 stainless bases for the push pole on each side that can be used for my striper rod holders (the Florida Guys have no clue what I’m talking about here but if you striper fish you do) and then when I go to the salt I can locate my push pole on either side of the boat I choose, that is a nice option for overnight dockage. I also have 4 in gunnel rod holders (2 in rear deck and 2 in front deck) that work great when running planer boards for stripers.

If you mount your depthfinder/GPS on a swivel mount and have a seat base put in up front you can work you baits from a comfortable seat up front and see your whole spread.
    The biggest disadvantage I have seen is the open configuration makes it a cold boat to fish out of in the winter. The higher console and windshield on the Pathfinder does offer a little more protection. But not enough to offset all of the advantages the Egret offers.
    I am currently located in Winston-Salem NC and would be glad to show you the boat or give you a test run. Or if you wanted to ask any other questions just shoot me a PM and I will give you my cell.

Good Luck.