Home Boating

fire extinguisher mount ideas...

lostcreeklostcreek Posts: 17 Greenhorn
Where do most center console boatowners mount their fire ext.? I would guess on the console itself, but on my Pathfinder it looks like it will interfere with rods in the rod rack.
Thanks,
lostcreek

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    If you have the space, SSI (sailing specialties Int.) has a recessed fire extinguisher mount.
    I prefer to have mine mounted external to the console, either recessed or flush mount.
    I think of it as my most important item for Coast Guard compliance and safety.
    I think of it this way, I can swim pretty well, but I don't burn so well.
    I want it easily available for anyone to grab and use as needed.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Mine's under the hatch in front of my console. Lift the lid, and its mounted on the side wall inside. It was really my only option.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Mine's under the hatch in front of my console. Lift the lid, and its mounted on the side wall inside. It was really my only option.

I had options, but chose to mount mine inside a compartment just forward of the console. It's easily assessable, but not sticking out there for someone to steal.
  • nsbcpansbcpa Posts: 4 Greenhorn

I've always kept my fire extinguisher under the seat in my leaning post.

During a recent marine patrol inspection, the officer indicated that the extinguisher had to be "mounted" and could not just be available under the seat.  Is this true?  I've researched and can't find this requirement anywhere.

I've also always understood that it's better on the extinguisher to store it horizontally than vertically.

Thanks

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    This is from boat us
    Myth #2: All extinguishers must be mounted with a bracket.
    Reality: Mounting a fire extinguisher on a bracket keeps the unit in a handy place and may protect it from being banged around the boat, but it is not a legal requirement. You do, however, need to ensure the extinguisher is readily accessible, so leaving it at the bottom of locker or compartment is a big no-no.
    Looks like you have to have a bracket to be USCG approved but the bracket does not have to be mounted as long as it is accessible.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,974 AG
    Mine is in a bucket with flares and other emergency items inside the console. 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 870 Officer
    If you have a t-top you can buy extinguisher mounts from offroad truck accessories place. They are made of ballistic nylon and Velcro to the t-top. I like it because when I get stopped by the man, I can just point to the guage and show him the extinguisher is good.