FS Politics section and credibility

Replies

• Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Longhaul wrote: »
    Credibility? When you have a bunch of people punching a keyboard to express opinion it has NO CREDIBILITY WHATSOEVER. Now, looking a man eye to eye in discussion or a forum of people meeting in person to discuss issues? thats when it really matters. A internet forum? please.

If an idea can't stand on its own, it isn't worth entertaining. If an argument cannot be made anonymously, it is not worth being made.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,958 Admiral
    so who actually fishes and lives in Florida and contributes regularly ...... it is tarpon season here in SWFLA
  • White DogWhite Dog Posts: 5,343 Officer
    Florida Sportsman and politics. The politics forum is as Jerry Springer was to ratings: effective, but vapid and unproductive by any other measure. I can't believe it is permitted here. Inflammatory and derisive.

You know you don't have to click on this section, don't you?........ok, just checking.
    The White Dog.........R.I.P..........1996 - June 2nd, 2011
    Finfinder wrote: »
    so who actually fishes and lives in Florida and contributes regularly ...... it is tarpon season here in SWFLA

Me.....heading to Bimini on Friday too.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,124 AG
    White Dog wrote: »
    You know you don't have to click on this section, don't you?........ok, just checking.

EXACTLY!!!!! There are several on here who should follow this advice!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG

Had some nice fresh caught mackerel sushi last weekend. Also had to have boat towed in because of ethanol issues. To bummed to post a report.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • LouieLouieLouieLouie Posts: 2,702 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    You'll just have to dazzle them with brilliance and baffle them with BS. The latter is all they got in their playbook. :grin

Thanks but I'd first have to give a ****.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I want to offer thanks the "FS Forum Powers That Be" for giving me the opportunity to see the light and makes changes from my past... The knowledge and awareness I have gained during the last few months of BannedCation has helped changed my life... I will strive to continue in the right, I mean LEFT direction... Thank You.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Had some nice fresh caught mackerel sushi last weekend. Also had to have boat towed in because of ethanol issues. To bummed to post a report.

See where all that environmental crap gets you?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    See where all that environmental crap gets you?

I am only for ethanol where it makes sense. In the corn belt!

Now biodiesel on the other hand, is quite different.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • chumcrazychumcrazy Posts: 862 Officer
    I am only for ethanol where it makes sense. In the corn belt!

Now biodiesel on the other hand, is quite different.

Are you telling me that your boat doesn't run off old fruits and veggies:nono Run that thing more often!
    "Obama hands out $5M a day like it's pocket change. He doesn't need the Donald's money to be generous, he has yours." -Mister-Jr
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    The liberals would leave.......

My name is ernie martinez and I have a half dozen close friends two of which are best friends. They are from both sides of the political aisle. This is a place to talk sheet. Too many people take themselves way too serious on here.
  • lawaiaalawaiaa Posts: 1,266 Officer
    Has the FS politics section lost credibility right along with the Obama administration?

Never had any to begin with.
    Do you care what your screen name represents or means to people.

Not particularly, but especially not to you.
    Are you the real person or playing a character (screen name)?

And this question is the most stupid of all three of them.

The one service this place provides is an outlet. With the amount of anger and threats I see around here I believe I'd be reading about some of you guys on the news if it weren't for this forum.

Thanks Florida Sportsman...... keep up the good work!

And a special Mahalo to Nuevowavo..... You are the best Moderator I've seen on this forum. You and TTT3 make this place better.
    lawaiaa wrote: »
    Never had any to begin with.

Not particularly, but especially not to you.

The one service this place provides is an outlet. With the amount of anger and threats I see around here I believe I'd be reading about some of you guys on the news if it weren't for this forum.

And a special Mahalo to Nuevowavo..... You are the best Moderator I've seen on this forum. You and TTT3 make this place better.

What makes you think I had negative intent.....or did you just assume that. I can tell you being a Floridian I can give 2 craps if you are on a Florida website.

Interesting how some prefer a cut and paste verse a thought provoking thread it took 8 pages and over 800 views. Maybe if you read things with your happy voice you would be so thin skinned and negative.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Too many people take themselves way too serious on here.

Yeah, the guys who get pissed off and start slinging personal insults. Those are the ones who are taking the wrong things way too seriously.

fishing in SWFL is great now water quality best its been in long long time waiting for the rains
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,702 Admin

Thanks, lawaiaa. We're trying.

A couple of points:

This section was created because the political banter was overwhelming OT (same goes for Sports).
    There have been discussions over the years about eliminating this section and banning all political posting, but we always come back to the fact that there are members who actually enjoy it. So for the time being, here you are.

For as LouieLouie's assertions that "Can't remember ever seeing anyone from the liberal gang getting banned but I only drop in here now and then. IMHO No doubt the take over at the top of InterMedia by Leo Hindery Jr. (a member of Barry's posse) has tagged all facets of the operation.":

That's absurd. The moderators on the Forum are volunteers who take no direction from and have no contact with the Intermedia people. Our only mandate is to keep the Forum family-friendly, which I don't believe is a particularly liberal stance.
    No one from the "liberal gang getting banned"? We don't announce it when a member is disciplined, but I'm sure most here can tell when a frequent poster is absent for an extended period.

And "I got 3 warnings today from the forum popo about attacks and name calling. The mgt. of this forum is so bias it ain't funny."?
    Actually, you received one request from me: "If you'd like to continue to post in Politics, please keep to the topic and do not engage in personal attacks or slurs on other members." Where's the bias?

Finfinder, for a long time I've been a proponent of "banned means banned", but we try to give members a second chance after a timeout.
    Some of the repeat offenders have seen their time in camp extended to 90 days, and we do permaban if that doesn't seem to send the message.
    I guess that we could throw people out of the bar permanently when they punch someone....

At any rate, as long as this section exists, please keep the discussion to the topics and leave the personal stuff in your head. Thanks.

BTW, Gary M, you do know I was kidding in my first post, right? About the "Can't imagine what happened 5 years ago to cause this" thing?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • brentsumbrentsum Posts: 1,618 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Thanks, lawaiaa. We're trying.

A couple of points:

This section was created because the political banter was overwhelming OT (same goes for Sports).
    There have been discussions over the years about eliminating this section and banning all political posting, but we always come back to the fact that there are members who actually enjoy it. So for the time being, here you are.

For as LouieLouie's assertions that "Can't remember ever seeing anyone from the liberal gang getting banned but I only drop in here now and then. IMHO No doubt the take over at the top of InterMedia by Leo Hindery Jr. (a member of Barry's posse) has tagged all facets of the operation.":

That's absurd. The moderators on the Forum are volunteers who take no direction from and have no contact with the Intermedia people. Our only mandate is to keep the Forum family-friendly, which I don't believe is a particularly liberal stance.
    No one from the "liberal gang getting banned"? We don't announce it when a member is disciplined, but I'm sure most here can tell when a frequent poster is absent for an extended period.

And "I got 3 warnings today from the forum popo about attacks and name calling. The mgt. of this forum is so bias it ain't funny."?
    Actually, you received one request from me: "If you'd like to continue to post in Politics, please keep to the topic and do not engage in personal attacks or slurs on other members." Where's the bias?

Finfinder, for a long time I've been a proponent of "banned means banned", but we try to give members a second chance after a timeout.
    Some of the repeat offenders have seen their time in camp extended to 90 days, and we do permaban if that doesn't seem to send the message.
    I guess that we could throw people out of the bar permanently when they punch someone....

At any rate, as long as this section exists, please keep the discussion to the topics and leave the personal stuff in your head. Thanks.

BTW, Gary M, you do know I was kidding in my first post, right? About the "Can't imagine what happened 5 years ago to cause this" thing?

Well said Neuvo - Thanks for your moderation, you guys do good work in light of what you asked to do.

Suck up.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    As much as WE members want it to be. For one thing WHY does FS continually allow habitually banned members back in the room. You can get under peoples skin if that is your thing without being banned. Not all politics forum are nasty.

Im just trying to take the lead here and do something different, maybe we can all use a conversation that is not the topic of copy and paste and troll. Sorry if you take this personally. Id like to think I have not wasted my time all these years. LOL but Im pretty sure the answer to that :grin

letting banned members back in is the only way there would be any sense of controversy here....
    otherwise there'd only be gary 3c's, white dog, and you.....
    you might as well turn off the lights.....
    I don't think so.

This forum attracts flies.

The Off Topic forum has gotten just as bad. It's like a role playing game with no point, no objective or goal or entertainment, just characters making loud unintelligible noise.

You make people put their names on this nonsense and it would stop.

gary.....
    you want to see vicious s**t go on, try sailing anarchy political forum.....
    you can call a member a stupid f##k head and keep on going....no holds barred over there.....
    this place is peaceful in comparrison......

as you were...............
    mac
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,332 Captain
    I remember the rollicking days when USENET groups were popular.

No moderation, anything goes.

Vulgar and profane insults, physical threats, gleefully parading around a poster's personal info.

Most entertaining.

Still, my policy has aways been to never say anything to anyone, anywhere, which I would not say to their face.

Also, some people may wish to review the "ignore" function.
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    sjm1582002 wrote: »
    I remember the rollicking days when USENET groups were popular.

Ugh, my teenage years are still archived there :)
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    stsimons wrote: »
    You have the remote control. Change the channel if you don't want to watch - but with 8400 posts it seems you are a bit complicit. :grin

Complicit?

It's like watching your kid turn into ax murderer. This is my 14th year, BTW.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,472 AG
    Complicit?

It's like watching your kid turn into ax murderer. This is my 14th year, BTW.

Not that I'm trailing you much, but those 8400 posts came after the crash a couple of years ago. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,297 Captain
    You people need to remember that radical right wingers are a MINORITY. A stupid vocal one at that. And that the teabaggers are so off the wall stupid (ran paul) that they have disintegrated the republican party. When normal fiscal republicans are replaced by idiot right wingers and tea baggers you have MAJOR toxic partisanship

ronny raygun was the catalyst of the radical right wing.

You people basically have no clue as to what you are talking about or trying to say.

As always, I just want to thank Florida Sportsmen for giving mentally challenged, self loathing, dumb liberal white guys a place to vent.

It's an incredible service you provide, and I can't thank you enough.
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
    what do you think ???

Has the FS politics section lost credibility right along with the Obama administration?

I plead the 5th
    I think this place has way more credibility than the Obama Machine
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,444 Captain
    I rarely go to the politics section,and after a glimpse here,will not for a long time. Enough junk embedded within the other sections.
    No doubt many here will be glad of the absence.

Be reasonable,see it my way!
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bigbluebigblue Posts: 484 Officer
    As always, I just want to thank Florida Sportsmen for giving mentally challenged, self loathing, dumb liberal white guys a place to vent.

It's an incredible service you provide, and I can't thank you enough.

You're being a little on yourself dont'cha think?
    Respect is earned : Honesty is appreciated : Trust is gained : Loyalty is returned :

" By their fruit you will know them "

:hail
    bigblue wrote: »

Biggie
    nice sig :wink Respect is earned : Honesty is appreciated : Trust is gained : Loyalty is returned :

Many of us have debated each other for years. Used to be a time when one sat on the sideline and viewed before one would go all in with opinion. Not speaking for Rep but cyco has been vulgar, antagonistic and dramatic for years . I bet the guy has been banned more than 30 or 40 times. Now in Pete's defense he has kept the same screen name all these years and loves all things Florida and that’s a good thing obviously. But IMO Reps description is accurate based on the “body” of work. the guy is a "character"
    Originally Posted by Finfinder
    Are you the real person or playing a character (screen name)?

do one

I just remember Florida Sportsman has done at least 1 article in print that I know of which specifically discussed and promoted "characters/people" of FS forum.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,297 Captain
    bigblue wrote: »

Are you Cyclist's wife?
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke