Looking for a cobia blank

Thinking about building a dedicated cobia rod and looking for suggestions on the best blank. This won't be a super high end build but want some good quality components nonetheless. The rod will primarily be used to toss 2-4oz. jigs, 2oz. swimbaits, etc... I want something that I can cast a lot that won't be a hassle to jig with (lightweight and fast) but also has the strength/power to lift the fish when they are sounding.

By the way, it will be a spinning outfit matched to an 8000 stradic fj with ~50lb braid. My initial thoughts were a length of 7'4" - 7'8".

What do you think?

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,281 Captain
    I use a 4C79HF from St. Croix, and occasionally a 3C80HF. I'm getting ready to order a 4M90HF and should have her ready before the pogies move in. Some decent stuff coming from seeker these days, but they're a little heavy for my taste. CTS is making good stuff, but you're gonna pay for it. For guides I've started to favor Alps over fuji, the LXN's have proven themselves to be super durable (the frames are heavy, and not really suitable for lighter rigs).
  • StevieDStevieD Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Take a look at the Phenix M1 blanks in the bigger, swimbait sizes. Matt Sewell of Sewell Custom Rods just built some of these for guys throwing big swimbaits at BIG snook here in SW Florida and the blanks are holding up real well.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    KC696, available only thru Biscayne Rods in Hialeah. This is an 8' blank that can be cut to your liking, For what you are wanting, and knowing this blank, I'd cut it all off the butt