What's your favorite artificial for snook/redfish?

Everybody has their go-to lure. And here is mine:
Yo-zuri suspending 3d fingerling... greenback something or other.
31sonT9HJWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can honestly say IMO it's the next best thing to live greenbacks. And it's a very close second. My biggest problem is that the hooks are WAY too small for snook, especially when they start getting in the mid 20"+ sizes. And any redfish worth its salt will bend one or two hooks without much effort. So the dillema is, if I change the hooks to a bigger one the action gets all messed up.

Well here I am asking the masses... have any good artificials you'd recommend to me? I'm leaning towards something quite a bit bigger than this lure. I'm wanting to catch more quality and less quantity... so I'm thinking about using bigger baits... much bigger baits.

Well... my ears are open (eyes online I suppose).

Thanks.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    I really like the Mirrodine....I've caught snook, reds, tarpon and trout all on this one lure....like the natural colors, ie. green back/white belly, bayou green back/white or black back/silver belly.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Zara Spook-Bone color.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    x-rap purple ghost
  • staz5staz5 Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Sebile stick shad!
    IMG_0494.jpg[/URL]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,875 Captain
    :hail

I actually ordered a sebile stick shad and a yozuri mag darte last night. Looking forward to trying them out.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,837 Captain
    Green / chartreuse DOA Jerk bait rigged weedless with a small cone led, just like bass fishing when I was a kid!
    P.S. - bring the whole bag, your gonna need em!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • Shark bittenShark bitten Posts: 209 Officer
    My favorite is a mirrolure think Mr 22 or 17. Its an older style. But I've been repainting many of my hard baits with a dark purple and silver glitter clear coat. That color combo just flat out cleans house in all water colors day and night. Not sure why thou. I upgrade all the hooks to Owner trebles with the rear treble having the one extra wide gap. That one wider gap really works better than others regular treble hooks. Plus the Owners are sharp and strong.
  • StevieDStevieD Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    If you are after quality, throw a River2Sea S-Waver and hold on.....
  • rugbyryrugbyry Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I pulled that exact Yo-zuri lure(albeit a bit old and rusted) out of a tree not too long ago. Haven't really tried it much, but I replaced the hooks with size 4 O'Shaugnessy treble hooks. I'm not sure what the original action was like, but it still has some good movement through the water. What kind of retrieve do you use when using it?
    Usually about three or 4 reels with a twitch, then 3 or 4 reels with 2 or 3 twitches...

Slower for redfish and fast for snook, especially on lights. For some reason I catch WAY more snook on the lights at night when I blow it through there at what seems like way too fast of a retrieve.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Posts: 381 Deckhand
    dtobias wrote: »
    I really like the Mirrodine....I've caught snook, reds, tarpon and trout all on this one lure....like the natural colors, ie. green back/white belly, bayou green back/white or black back/silver belly.

X2 in regards to the green back. It's always tied to one of my rods and usually sees the most action.
  • staz5staz5 Posts: 95 Deckhand
    River2sea? Is that Larry Dahlberg's lures? I've seen some of his shows and some of those lures he makes have some awesome action.
    Lol... I buy so much crap because of you guys. I ordered one of those river2sea deals... a bag of lil johns, and I ALMOST ordered a bag of the Goby 7" thumper tails but they're $18!!!! a bag!!!! No thanks on that one.
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    skitterwalk (white) rapala, the big and medium size ones. Catch reds, sharks, Snook and trout on it always! Need a couple new ones cause the two I have are beat to crap from catching tons of fish on them.
    10073455.jpg?is=500,500
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]