Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

FWC to ban jig fishing in BGP

Replies

• ScottKScottK Posts: 216 Deckhand
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    You always wanted to be #1 at something....now you are...

I'll show you yet again who's #1 tomorrow. Twill be the same sad story for you, hope you enjoy wearing that hat!
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    My money is on Bly.
  • Jirvin70Jirvin70 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    So I had earlier offered to email the .pdf of the Complaint to those caring to read it. The complaint is 235 pages and was 50MB file size, so it took me a while to figure out emailing it. I have sent it to those requesting. I also see tarponater has posted the Injunction and the Complaint --some of the exhibits are missing because of the word format.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,952 AG
    Jirvin, You have a PM. :) Thanks...Mike

p.s. Provided Jirvin does not take issue, I will upload and post the longer version.
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    After reading it there is a lot of gossip points but to me, the principle if a direct competitor trying to gain unfair advantage by making unsubstantiated resource damaging allegations does have merit. If it was just an organization with no econonic benefit for the demise of PTTS it would have no legs. But if you solicit same sponsors in writing to join your tournament and dump PTTS because they are destroying the fishery it may have legs. I think that hokds true whether fishing or selling widgets but ought to be interesting!
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    I heard a rumor that even if they impose the ban that the tournament can get an exemption from the state due to bringing $$ into the community? Just what I heard down at the bait shop in Cape Coral.
    Looks like the PTTS is grasping at straws
    Frolich is named in the suite.

His father has a large atty practice.

I'm sure STT won't need to go far to answer this.
  • whitebaconwhitebacon Posts: 354 Officer
    The beauty of a civil lawsuit is discovery. We thank the clowns at PTTS for filing the "lawsuit". We will reach so far into their bowels with discovery, they won't have to worry about the bad press any more............it will be attorney's bills.

I don't think anyone on this forum, or in reality, doubts the ability of STT or the Boca Grande community to respond strenuously to the childish antics of the PTTS. Many of us will be fighting to fund the defense solely, and the amount of wealth this little island can throw at something will astound those pathetic tools.

Lawyering them to death, with an easy dismissal, gaining all the intelligence necessary to wipe them out, will be true sport.
    The tortious interference claim is comical. But the most comical is the 235 page complaint. Maybe Joe Mercurio suggested size matters.........to his lawyers.

Let's make another idiotic bet (that I will win)..........the legal bills from the lawsuit will put the last nail in the coffin of the PTTS.

Truly, the demise of the PTTS is a self-inflicted wound.
    Here is a promise......if the PTTS thinks they're going to financially or otherwise harm any of the named defendants in the "lawsuit", including Davis, McLaughlin, Frohlich, Hirsch, Morris, Locke, Hastings, or Futch, well it goes without saying that, that isn't going to happen.

Can someone here who knows those two clowns please impart some wisdom........it's not a good idea to slap a hornets nest........repeatedly

P.S. - The FWC isn't done, and the most severe rules haven't been made public, nor will they be in advance.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    I have had time to read all the documents in the suit, thanks to the 20+ mph winds this weekend.

Just a few thoughts about the suit. I can not see how the PTTS thinks they will win this suit. I do not see any court issuing an injunction to prevent STT from posting about the PTTS or for calling for a boycott of the sponsors of the PTTS. If this is what the PTTS wants in my opinion they will not prevail. I also see that filing this suit was a huge risk for the PTTS. I have to agree with Whitebacon, the PTTS has opened a can of worms for their sponsors with discovery. STT will have access to all their contracts with the PTTS. I can't see how any sponsor would want to be sucked into this lawsuit by the PTTS. Sponsors are looking for good exposure for their brands, not to become involved in a lawsuit. If I were thinking about becoming involved, I don't think I would if I thought I was going to have to deal with this lawsuit. I also think that the suit will bring more exposure for STT and will help them raise even more money. I have to think that the PTTS thought about these points when deciding to file this suit.

That makes me wonder, why file suit? The only reason I can think of is that STT is doing so much damage that they had no other option than to file this suit. I have to conclude that they believe the PTTS will not survive if they do nothing so they decided to go down fighting. In the end I do not think it will work.

I never called for an end to the PTTS and I thought the could have made a few more changes that would have made most people happy. In the end it looks to me that they made some bad choices that put them where they are today.
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    I agree with you LGI about the motivation of the lawsuit. I think STT did damage PTTS business. Here is the examples though of more than just freedom of speech in play here: With no evidence Burger King cannot run around saying "McDonalds serves rat meat, we know it to be a fact stop eating there and eat at BK". PTTS alleges STT contacted their sponsors, accused them of snagging, killing fish, etc then invited them to withdraw as sponsors and instead support their World's Richest tournament. I think that is a no-no whether its fishing tournaments or selling widgets. Particulary, in the face of FWC studies to the contrary. But this is just the filing and the response has yet to be filed so just one sided so far. It should be an exciting summer! If it was jsut a group with no competitive interest to the same sponsors then it would just be freedom of speech but since its competitors there is more to it IMO. But heck I am no lawyer.
    Now that PTTS has gone to measurement only, no gaff, no weigh in, it should silence the critics with exception to the jig. So really for the FWC it comes down to that single issue and there must be a conclusive determination with video to end the debate.
    I believe STT will be able to show that the PTTS does snag and kill fish. They have posted evidence of both on their site. They may not be able to show how many, but I'm not sure they have to prove they snag and kill every fish they catch.
    Should be fun wacthing those guys measure a 180 pound tarpon in the middle of the pass with hammerheads chasing them around.
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 667 Officer
    Just a question... with the 2013 PTTS season to be under way as of Sunday, 5/19, and 4 more events on each of the following Sundays of 5/26, 6/2, 6/9, and 6/16, can we assume that their 2013 season will not be affected by the STT efforts? I also see where the PTTS has advised their anglers that due to changes in fish handling, Tarpon stamps are no longer required. Wondering what will take place within the next week or two??
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,314 Captain
    LGI wrote: »
    I believe STT will be able to show that the PTTS does snag and kill fish. They have posted evidence of both on their site. They may not be able to show how many, but I'm not sure they have to prove they snag and kill every fish they catch.

I have never seen anything that proves that they are snagging fish anywhere. That a jig is snagging fish. If that evidence is there, and not some trumped up BS, I would love to see it. Everything I have seen and or read has been full of half truths and or out and out lies. Show me a few videos of a jig snagging a tarpon. It doesn't exist guys. It is all conjecture and glorified on social media in their rants. They do have a dead tarpon and the DNA proved it was a fish weighed in the PTTS. The tarpon was therefore tagged and considered harvested, in another words DEAD by the FWC. It is a shame it died but show me one captain out there that hasn't had a tarpon sharked. I have had people ask for a tarpon I landed to tie it to the back of their boat and chopped it with an ice pick to chum for sharks for goodness sake.

The PTTS is definitely hurting. In talking with some captains down there this weekend, it sounded like it might not make it to week 2. Loss of sponsors etc. has put a serious dent in the armor. Don't have a full field and the ones they have aren't paying for all the weeks. The measurement methodology also looks to be hokie at best with some sort of a device that the captains must purchase for $300 or some crap.

AGAIN, I AM NOT A FAN OF THE PTTS. I would be good with ALL tournaments going away for all species. Not my gig at all. I am also totally in support of anyone's right to boycott a business as a show of support for any cause they so choose. I believe though that the boycotts against the PTTS sponsors and participants have been a little more than just not going to the business. Lies, threats, etc... thus the lawsuit. I am no lawyer and not sure either side has the deep pockets it would take to have that lawsuit go through the whole process but it was clearly an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Sure looks like it is going to be an interesting year in the pass. I will be down Wednesday-Sunday for the new moon tides....Looking forward to the fun...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Captianbly,

You may be right about the proof of snagging, I guess I should have said proof of foul hooking. I am sure STT will argue in court that it is one and the same. I was just pointing out that I don't think the PTTS has enough to get a court to silence STT. I guess we shall see....

On another note, I fished on Friday did not see any fish in the pass. There were some on the beach, but they did not seem to be eating. Lots of boats on one big pod off the south end of Boca Grande, did not see anyone hookup. I jumped one after dark in LGI pass, but that was it for me, looking forward to the new moon.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,314 Captain
    Same here. Saw those on the beach. Saw some on the pan. Didn't see a single hookup. Went offshore exploring some spots on Friday. Saturday was howling and nothing in the pass so got some breakfast and headed home. Hopefully they will cooperate a little more this weekend. Stop by and have a beer if you are down there. Good group of folks hanging out all weekend long.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Captianbly,

You may be right about the proof of snagging, I guess I should have said proof of foul hooking. I am sure STT will argue in court that it is one and the same. I was just pointing out that I don't think the PTTS has enough to get a court to silence STT. I guess we shall see....

On another note, I fished on Friday did not see any fish in the pass. There were some on the beach, but they did not seem to be eating. Lots of boats on one big pod off the south end of Boca Grande, did not see anyone hookup. I jumped one after dark in LGI pass, but that was it for me, looking forward to the new moon.

You're one of those guys that anchor in LGI pass and give the boaters a dirty look when they fly by at 30mph aren't you?
    I don't anchor and I try not to fish it when boats are running by at 30 mph. I do grin when they hit the bar now and then.
    I don't anchor and I try not to fish it when boats are running by at 30 mph. I do grin when they hit the bar now and then.

Must be those out of towers.

If you can't navigate that area, you shouldn't be driving a boat.
  • Captain SlayerCaptain Slayer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I cant resist, you out of town douch bags dont have a clue..Tarpon on the beach not chewing last week especially friday? Really? Perhaps thats because you were part of your jig fleet gone livebaiter on those fish on the southend.. Within only a few minutes the 20 of u douch holes had them running offshore no different than most mornings in the pass last season.. Interesting, my fish werent running offshore!! jigger to me is more than a style of fishing, it defines your total being of how you all think and approach fishing and life as a whole, you are all so smothered in your ego's you cant grip reality all that well and it affects your decision making. The fish have been chewing just fine, well thats atleast for us that know how to aproach a pod of tarpon with patience, respect and fish them not more than two boats at a time.. The twenty of u douch holes had them 5 miles offshore by 10am.. You guys are pathetic, whats funny is only you jiggers were in that crowed all other respectible and knowledgible guides had their own fish chewing like mad as you spooked them away, maybe you guys should consider that.. . Truely sad....
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    Now that is funny. A few of them tried to fish the harbor early last week as well, I saw one of them hook 1 fish, then he decided to blast his sound system as loud as it could go to celebrate his success. I thought for sure it was all over for us up there when he showed up, I figured all of tampa bay would have been up here. Thank god there was fish in the pass the very next day. I heard about the cluster on the beach, I dread having to leave the harbor in May anymore.
    I cant resist, you out of town douch bags dont have a clue..Tarpon on the beach not chewing last week especially friday? Really? Perhaps thats because you were part of your jig fleet gone livebaiter on those fish on the southend.. Within only a few minutes the 20 of u douch holes had them running offshore no different than most mornings in the pass last season.. Interesting, my fish werent running offshore!! jigger to me is more than a style of fishing, it defines your total being of how you all think and approach fishing and life as a whole, you are all so smothered in your ego's you cant grip reality all that well and it affects your decision making. The fish have been chewing just fine, well thats atleast for us that know how to aproach a pod of tarpon with patience, respect and fish them not more than two boats at a time.. The twenty of u douch holes had them 5 miles offshore by 10am.. You guys are pathetic, whats funny is only you jiggers were in that crowed all other respectible and knowledgible guides had their own fish chewing like mad as you spooked them away, maybe you guys should consider that.. . Truely sad....

I assume you are talking to me. I did not even try to fish in that clown show and I have never been a jigger and have had a house on LGI since the 70's. I can understand your anger at that style of fishing and you would know I agree with you if you had read any of my prior posts.
    Doubled up, are you talking of a livebaiter? I saw that jackwagon with the brochard wrap three times do that tuesday when they moved on the hill u could hear his system from millers dock!!! I wont get into his rediculous boat maneuvering and disregard for everyone else..
    I have read your posts LGI i thought you insenuated that you were in that crowd, my bad. Beyond that, their behavior that was shown friday on the beach is what has every respectible guide fuming.. It changes their feeding habits and behavior.. Why dont they understand this?? Its clear to me and many others
    I have read your posts LGI i thought you insenuated that you were in that crowd, my bad. Beyond that, their behavior that was shown friday on the beach is what has every respectible guide fuming.. It changes their feeding habits and behavior.. Why dont they understand this?? Its clear to me and many others

I did not get close enough to see who it was on those fish, but I know enough to know if you see 20+ boats running after the same tarpon in 15ft of water it's a waste of time to even try to fish them. As I have said before we are dealing with people who learned to fish watching the PTTS. Then if a recreational guy sees a guide in the mix he thinks that is how you fish for tarpon.

I also think that some guides want their clients to see fish around them so they stay on them even when they know they are not going to catch one. Then they just tell their clients the fish were not biting today.
This discussion has been closed.