Home General Fishing

Favorite rod for light baits?

fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
I am still trying to decide on what new rod to buy, and there are a lot of great options, so I think this will help me narrow down my search. I pitch a lot of unweighted live shrimp(freelined) and a lot of fluke style baits unweighted... The more distance I get the better it is because the areas I fish are highly pressured and the fish can be spooky... I want to know what you guys favorite rod for long casts with light lures and baits is. What length rod do you prefer. I figured the longer the better, and I currently use a Teramar MH 7'6" but I figure with a lighter rated blank I can get more distance with light baits? What do you guys use and like? All responses are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    If it's strictly unweighted baits to 1/2oz I'd pick up a mojo inshore 7'6 ML or a Star Stellar Lite 7'6 ML.
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I love my Star Seagis, its a bit better blank than the Stellar Lite, and it has amazing sensitivity and a whippy tip so you can chuck those light light baits out pretty far without flipping them off the hook
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    I bought a T. Allen custom rod 7'2 M action about $50 more than the Seagis and can toss a greenie a lot further than with the same reel and line on the 7'6 Seagis I have. The Seagis is real nice though, don't forget to use a lower lb test line also. you can pick up a couple more feet in your cast.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Try a St.Croix triumph 79.99 or for about $200 my favorite rod which is a Karma Mojo best rod i have ever owned never had an issue with it
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Gotta have a 7'6" fast medium. I just got two st. Croix mojo inshore rods-one 7' and one 7"6 and I can legit say they are already my two favorite rods for casting. I have used star rods for years but the split butt and fast tip make them awesome. Go buy one at **** they are having a great deal thru may 4th.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    falcon bucoo micro............:Horse
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    falcon bucoo micro............:Horse

Hahaha! I am definately considering it!! I am scouring the Internet to find out how people find falcons warranty and customer service...
    Now I am debating whether to get a medium or medium light...
  • jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Okay, thanks! I will let you guys know what I finally get!
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    No! Get a Medium Light Falcon micro guide rod or a coastal xg!! For casting live shrimp/greenbacks/finger-mullet and weightless lures up to 1/4 oz get a 7'6 and get a nice reel to pair it up (as long as its balanced size does not matter) I would spool the reel with 8 lb braid of your choice. I personally recommend 8 lb Spiderwire Invisi-braid. Smooth and casts a long ways.
    Let's go fishing!
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 138 Deckhand
    If you like Teramars, you could downsize to the medium 7'6" with the extra fast tip. I have one and I really like it for light baits.
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    Yeah the medium 7'6" teramar is really whippy pretty much a medium-light in action
  • Weed LineWeed Line Posts: 177 Officer
    I mostly fish for reds trout and black drum. Loving light tackle, I have 2 St Croix tidemaster 7' ML. Those can cast a weightless jerkbait a mile. I fish the flats so letting drag scream isn't an issue, but it can cast anything
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    fishboy wrote: »
    Now I am debating whether to get a medium or medium light...

Medium light will throw the live shrimp better but the medium will be better for working those flukes.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I'm too cheap to fish with live shrimp, unless perhaps I'm on vacation somewhere.
    When fishig for snapper, the only things that work in my area is freelined whitebait and shrimp, so if there are no greenies around then I use shrimp
  • JohnnyTsuJohnnyTsu Posts: 133 Deckhand
    My favorite for fishing light live baits was built on a Shikari HS830. It is a 8'3" Hot Shot action (x-fast light tip with a stout butt).

If I were to do it today I would look into something like the a Batson HS1023F with a whole bunch of micro guides.
  • CunokingCunoking Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Loomis Pro Green 7'6". You wont regret it
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    i know ive said it a million times but i love my falcon lol.. its a helluva rod.. best one ive ever owned hands down for tossing light or finesse baits.. those micro guides choke down on the line more as it leaves the reel, making the spiral of line coming off the reel smaller.. with bigger guides the line has a tendancy to slap the blank more and rob casting distance.. very accurate rod which manages the line well.. and the fact that i get no wind knots now just solidifies this in my mind.. plus, the rod weighs 4oz.. featherlight.. i have it paired with a 6oz reel.. its lovely..
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 332 Deckhand
    7ft 6 St Croix Avid ML. But more importantly, use 6lbs Berkeley Nanofil to 15lbs fluro leader. You are restricted to no more than 4-5lbs of drag with this setup but it will cast a mile. Unfortunately, learning how to tie the Sebile knot is a requirement when using Berkeley Nanofil line. Any other knot and you will swear the line has really ****ty knot breaking strength.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Check out the Crucial. Well rounded rod with a soft tip for lots of distance with light baits. Shimano warranty.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    My lightweight rod is a 6' ultralight St. Croix...it's kind of a specialty app though, I used it strictly in small creeks with 6# line.. can't throw alot of distance with it. My next stick(s) up are ML, fast action 7' Shimanos but I gotta be honest with you they are starting to **** me off. I can't tell you how many flounder I've missed because the ML fast action tip is just too whippy to get a good, immediate hookset. I was seriously at West Marine two hours ago eyeballing a M weight rod as a good all arounder. Frankly they all looked and felt good to me including the Ugly Stik Lite series. I'm personally starting to move away from the L-ML rods and going to M's... it's gonna come down to that last 24" of tip...whatever you go with make sure it's not too whippy.