Home General Fishing

Culling in the park

worleybirdworleybird Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Has anybody ever heard of a culling permit for Everglades National Park?

Replies

• TailHunterTailHunter Posts: 333 Deckhand
    what's a culling permit?
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    TailHunter wrote: »
    what's a culling permit?

It would be something that gives someone the right to remove a small quota of a species for the purpose of stock enhancement. Never heard of any National Parks issuing them for fish. The only thing I have heard similar to this is lionfish permits.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    To answer your question---no.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • worleybirdworleybird Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    worleybird wrote: »
    Has anybody ever heard of a culling permit for Everglades National Park?

I had a park ranger tell me that's required when a tournament in the park!! BS!!!!
  • Flat_TopFlat_Top Posts: 298 Deckhand
    This is going to be directionally correct, but might not always us the right terminology.

Some of the larger redfish tournaments I've fished have given us a paper from the state allowing us to cull our fish for purpose of the tournament. I think the number of boats in a tournament to required the culling permits is 50 or 75. This is required because the way the law is written. When you keep, possess, a redfish you are not allowed to keep another one that day, even if you release the fish you kept. The culling permit allows us to keep a smaller fish and then cull, release it, when we catch a larger fish. This could be what you are talking about.
    Sell Your Stuff, Keep The Dog, Live On An Island
    Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24 Band
    Beer Can Collection
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,014 Captain
    Worley I do know that marine scientists do get special permits to work small nets and longlines when doing research (I've worked with Mote Marine on a couple of projects in the past) -but they're strictly regulated and controlled. That whole business of tournaments culling fish is BS (I'm being polite here). I've been a full time guide in the Park now for more than sixteen years - if you want to inquire directly contact the Chief Ranger's office at the Visitor's Center -try (305) 242-7700 as an initial contact number and remember that the folks you're trying to reach are strictly 9-5 types, Monday-Friday. Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • worleybirdworleybird Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thx for the info. I did call but I didn't talk to Chief Ranger. I'll call soon. Thx again.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Read pages 8-10 for your answers. This document is updated yearly and is something every angler fishing or camping in the park should follow closely, as the rules can change without any other notice.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/parkmgmt/upload/EVER-Compendium-2013-FINAL.pdf