Home Off Topic

Boston Bomber Lawyer's - who pays the bill?

RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,483 Officer
So..........all these hot shot lawyers lining up
to represent the little piece of................
I assume, most of it is for personal gain and publicity.
Who pays the bill? Do they get their usual hourly salary or what an assigned attorney would get?

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    They should have their citizenship revoked and sent to Cuber. ... Oh and if they get a public defender fine but I bet Muslims(you know the non extremist ones that still promise to kill non muslims) around the world are sending $$$ to his defense.

and in other news the Bengazi witness' attorneys are denied access to information.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • EastcoasttugEastcoasttug Posts: 231 Officer
    Who pays for it??? We the tax paying public. The part that guard me the most is that for all i care, he has no rights and deserves no trial. However, he will get a better lawyer than many of us(tax payers) could ever hope to have(that WE would have to pay for) if we ever found ourselves in a spot of trouble.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    RStyle wrote: »
    Boston Bomber Lawyer's - who pays the bill?

Is this a trick question?
    The part that guard me the most is that for all i care, he has no rights and deserves no trial.

Everyone gets a fair trial, isn't that kinda what separates us from most of the rest of the world?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 985 Officer
    Everyone gets a fair trial, isn't that kinda what separates us from most of the rest of the world?

Are our trials fair?
    When rich athletes, movie stars, whatever can afford high dollar lawyer teams and the best I could ever be able to afford was the local ambulance chaser, is it fair at all?
    Acceptance of any type of behavior effectively reinforces that behavior.
    Original member number 3640 - September 2001.
    NRA Endowment Member

obamasales.png
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    You get the justice you can afford, and not a bit more. Unless maybe you are a baby killing ****, or bomber, etc. that can give a defense attorney the pub they so desire.
    rent my beach house
    johnnyb wrote: »
    Are our trials fair?

Can you name any place else on this planet where the trials are any fairer than ours? Our system is not perfect but I can't think of another country that has a better one, can you?.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    Can you name any place else on this planet where the trials are any fairer than ours? Our system is not perfect but I can't think of another country that has a better one, can you?.

He didn't say fairer, just fair.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,483 Officer
    No..........not a trick question
    I know who pays for attorneys assigned by the court.
    But.....if suddenly 3 attorneys that charge 1K an hour take the case...............of someone
    who can't afford it...............do they do it Pro Bono? Does the court pay them a set amount?
    Are they doing it free for the publicity?
    If they get $$ from Muslim organizations for payment ..........is that ok?
    CaptTater wrote: »
    He didn't say fairer, just fair.

Isn't fair or fairness subjective?

But.....if suddenly 3 attorneys that charge 1K an hour take the case...............of someone
    who can't afford it...............do they do it Pro Bono? Does the court pay them a set amount?
    Are they doing it free for the publicity?

You mean like in the case of Casey Anthony or George Zimmerman or Timothy McVeigh? I guess there would be a multitude of possible reasons why someone would take a case like that for little or no immediate compensation.

If they get $$ from Muslim organizations for payment ..........is that ok?

Should we restrict who can contribute to to an individuals legal fund? What are your thoughts on how we should go about doing that?
  • matt2gamatt2ga Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    If the lawyer is appointed by the Court, they will be paid the court appointed rate. On non-death penalty cases in federal court the appointed rate is currently $125.00 per hour. Lawyers that are involved in death penalty cases will be paid more in an appointed case than a non-death case because they are more qualified due to certain training and experience. I don't know what the current appointed rate is in federal court on a death case. If the lawyer was appointed the lawyer cannot accept payment from other sources....they only get paid the appointed rate.
    Isn't fair or fairness subjective?

sure. and for two sides. Do you think it's fair to have a jury of your peers be nothing like you? Not the same economic class, ethnic, upbringing, education etc?
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Do you think it's fair to have a jury of your peers be nothing like you?

Yes and no.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Do some of you realize how absurd it is to claim that he should be denied due process? What if YOU were accused of a crime and they just sent you straight to the gas chamber with no trial? You sound like fascist dictators. Maybe you should try reading the constitution and the bill of rights sometime. It's funny to me how many of you will defend PARTS of the constitution depending on whether it's convenient to you or not.
    I think he should have due process.

But......it does bother me that a high profile case like this gets the expensive leeches out of the woodwork wanting
    to have their faces out in the newspapers and TV willing to do it for whatever minimum the government pays when many of our citizens due not get that treatment.
    I do not think there is a solution............it just bothers me that he may escape the death penalty just on the basis of the attorneys that suddenly want to
    participate in his defense and make a big show out of the whole thing.
    There is no doubt that the justice system is not fair when dealing with high profile vs low profile cases and in cases of rich vs poor

It would be great if they we find out they were funded by a terrorist Muslim organization, accuse them of treason and put them in the same cell with the bomber. So they can be friends forever
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Do some of you realize how absurd it is to claim that he should be denied due process? What if YOU were accused of a crime and they just sent you straight to the gas chamber with no trial? You sound like fascist dictators. Maybe you should try reading the constitution and the bill of rights sometime. It's funny to me how many of you will defend PARTS of the constitution depending on whether it's convenient to you or not.

The one thing you are missing is he already admitted to it. BEFORE the scumbag attorneys became involved. We should have an expedited process to slam em through and hang em after they admit it.
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Committing a terrorist attack should be considered an enemy combatant and treated as such. It's not equal to some guy robbing a 7-11.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
    I suggest he gets one assigned attorney and every other one that jumps out "wanting to help", particularly from another state other than the court where the terrorist will be judged, be accused of treason for
    assisting an enemy combatant:grin
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    BobD wrote: »
    Committing a terrorist attack should be considered an enemy combatant and treated as such. It's not equal to some guy robbing a 7-11.

Knowing I'll be persecuted for stating this, I agree. If only the true destinction is he was a foriegner, who committed a crime of war against us (US).
  • KnotabiteKnotabite Posts: 332 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »

I think terrorist acts should be different. Especially in a clear cut case like this. No right to trial and no media coverage for days on end. I vote for a few beatings and a public hanging. Broadcast it live on Al Jezeera network
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,774 Moderator
    Unfortunately, this case will bring a high level of publicity. Many aspiring defense attorneys look at this case as the perfect advertisement opportunity. What better way to get your name out in the public where you can capitalize on future clients.

What sickens me is the level that many DA's have sunk to in cases I've personally been privy to. Even with the full knowledge that their client is GUILTY, they will exhaust all avenues of finding the perfect loophole to clear them, all the while, victims' families, friends and society as a whole will shake their heads wondering, HTF did he/she get away with it... I've sat on the stand and had DA's flat out lie, have their clients lie, have witnesses lie, all to have their client beat the charge/s... Some were successful and some not so lucky.

With the right DA, or DA's, and a horrible jury selection, this guy could walk and laugh on his way out of court... SEEN IT HAPPEN!!!!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    TripleX wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this case will bring a high level of publicity. Many aspiring defense attorneys look at this case as the perfect advertisement opportunity. What better way to get your name out in the public where you can capitalize on future clients.

What sickens me is the level that many DA's have sunk to in cases I've personally been privy to. Even with the full knowledge that their client is GUILTY, they will exhaust all avenues of finding the perfect loophole to clear them, all the while, victims' families, friends and society as a whole will shake their heads wondering, HTF did he/she get away with it... I've sat on the stand and had DA's flat out lie, have their clients lie, have witnesses lie, all to have their client beat the charge/s... Some were successful and some not so lucky.

With the right DA, or DA's, and a horrible jury selection, this guy could walk and laugh on his way out of court... SEEN IT HAPPEN!!!!

I just wonder how this helps business when you know going in you are getting your **** handed to you from the get go? Maybe some legal eagles can explain that to us?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Hate to tell you guys this, but the Judge appointed Judy Clarke to join his team of lawyers...
    Clarke's clients have included the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski; Susan Smith, who drowned her two children;
    Atlanta Olympics bomber Eric Rudolph; and most recently Tucson, Ariz., shooter Jared Loughner.

All received life sentences instead of the death penalty....now tell me that's not BS... Also
    Remember since the judge appointed her, she gets more money (I believe)

and how is it a fair system when we have to paid for it.. because they don't have any money..
    but if one of us goes to court and can't pay... we get some lame lawyer...yea that's fair...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    TripleX wrote: »

That would be interesting to see this guy walk. Bet he would have to leave the country immediately, just to stay alive.