Home General Fishing

Abrasion resistance

2»

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    The test is how much pressure you or a fish will put on a line, whether the line is wrapped around a piling or rock, or not, and that pressure is rated in pounds. So, compare apples to apples and rate the abrasion tolerance of a line in pounds, not diameter. I think it's ridiculous to compare 6# mono to 20# braid. They might be the same diameter, but the braid is 3+ times stronger out of the box. Where is the comparison?

Look, braid is a great development for fishing, and it has it's place on the water, but it is not a cure all for all fishing. It's great on the flats for casting and pulling a snook/redfish out of the mangroves or from under a dock. It's also good for jigging, when you drop a jig down 300', you have to move it to catch a fish and when you pull up on the rod tip, the jig moves, with mono, the mono stretches before the jig moves. IMHO, braid has no place in the offshore world for trolling or even most bottom fishing. You need the stretch of mono in these applications. I've pulled too many hooks with braid to ever use it again in these applications.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Once again, Mr. Hexter hits the nail on the head.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    Once again, Mr. Hexter hits the nail on the head.

Why spend two days talking about it? I was out testing out braid (unbiased), and caught 2sheepees and drum around the jetties. The sheepees took me up, down, and sidewayz on the rocks. Obviously you want to keep the fish away from the rocks, but the way you make it sound is as if any structure looks at braid wrong it breaks. Landed all three without issue. The line was slightly abraided and needs changing....does that mean yourcase has been proven? Not to me.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 605 Officer
    If braid were clear, that's all anyone would use. I think that says it all.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Did you start a new thread to agree w everyone? Seems like you're flip / flopping like politician.

Why spend two days talking about it? I was out testing out braid (unbiased), and caught 2sheepees and drum around the jetties. The sheepees took me up, down, and sidewayz on the rocks. Obviously you want to keep the fish away from the rocks, but the way you make it sound is as if any structure looks at braid wrong it breaks. Landed all three without issue. The line was slightly abraided and needs changing....does that mean yourcase has been proven? Not to me.

I dont get that at all and you're saying the same thing everyone else has said, to an extent. We get into this debate and lose sight of what were debating... Strength, abrasion resistance, diameter, application... and on and on. As I said earlier, and you pointed out in your example, it's gonna have to be changed out or trimmed either way. You didnt prove anything to yourself either, I hope. Fishing with 15-25# braid and snatching little sheep is not necessarily a testament for braid. Not that you were using the wrong line, Im just sayin', nomsayin'.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    lol...I agree haydenfox you're right :)

Probably should ve used mono, but thats what makes it fun :)
    lol...I agree haydenfox you're right :)

Probably should ve used mono, but thats what makes it fun :)

I use braid for sheep... Cheers :beer
    I'm over it. Braid or mono. Use what you want.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    One word, tensile strength, that's all you have to understand in this argument.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    No one cares what braid you have!!

I once saw a TV fishing show where they pulled up a jewfish with anchor rope via tug of war. Do you think braid is more abrasion resistant than the rope?

@ Jetex you say one word, than say "tensile strength". You clearly have no clue about fishing or how to count!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    That is a convoluted way of thinking when you are talking about breaking strength. The amount of pressure needed to break a string, be it mono or braid, whether it is new or abraded, is measured in pounds. Any comparison should thus be made with the same pound test strings, not the same diameter string. And doing a comparison this way, mono will test better than braid.

Of course it will test better that way.

But most people don't fish that way.

For instance, when I used to fish for tarpon with mono on a Calcutta 400, I used 17lb test, maybe 20.

Today, in that same situation, I use 80 lb braid.

Casting distance is about the same. So is the diameter (actually, the 80 braid is a bit thinner). Same reel, same rod.

When a tarpon gets you in the pilings with 17 or 20lb mono, it lasts about a millisecond before it snaps. The 80lb braid at least has a chance and you can often get them out from around a piling when they get you wrapped.

I can also turn a medium sized tarpon before it ever gets into the pilings with 80 braid. Again, try that with mono and it snaps without a second thought.

Is that really convoluted?

I don't think it is at all. It's a real situation, and precisely why I no longer fish mono around structure when tarpon fishing.

Take care & I hope you and yours are well, Jack...Mike
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Lol this topic is always like watching an argument between 5 people arguing about 5 different things but all trying to argue against one another's point. I am with Tarponator on this subject. I don't care about rock rubbing tests and such. I care about real world scenarios which that particular video doesn't illustrate. I am not saying braid is master, not at all. I use braid but that has to do with the way I fish. For my inshore application, braid for me is the most versatile and tends to give me the most advantages most situations.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Lol this topic is always like watching an argument between 5 people arguing about 5 different things but all trying to argue against one another's point. I am with Tarponator on this subject. I don't care about rock rubbing tests and such. I care about real world scenarios which that particular video doesn't illustrate. I am not saying braid is master, not at all. I use braid but that has to do with the way I fish. For my inshore application, braid for me is the most versatile and tends to give me the most advantages most situations.

YES
    Let's go fishing!
    That's why I made the question as specific as possible...Pound for pound which is more abrasion resistant?

The answer is clearly mono. Its up to each individual to take that piece of info and adjust accordingly.
    Yea if you compare equivalent breaking strengths mono is way thicker, it will win for a general rubbing. The same Size nick in both lines has vastly different effects. Like I said though, I think the term "abrasion resistance" is used very liberally and IMO doesn't really portray the reality. Yea maybe when you run the lines horizontally on a rock the mono holds up better. However, that to me is not the whole real world implication of what we think of as "abrasion resistance". There is not doubt that braid has far more "cutting resistance" shall we say. Try cutting a piece of 10lb braid in you teeth even under tension and then try mono. That resistance to cutting is really the other half of the real world implication of "abrasion resistance". I just think that you cannot factor out the vast difference in the "cutting resistance" of the two lines when talking about "abrasion resistance".
    ^ Wouldnt being able to bite through mono correlate with the density factor also? I would think the only way to solve this is through a test we have not yet seen. Abrasion resistant? Are we talking about how much it takes to nick the line, or at what point and how much the line strength deteriorates after being nicked? Braid is many lines braided together so how many of those threads need to be frayed before its no longer at max strength? Same with mono, if it gets it's strength essentially based on diameter (among other things) how much does a nick in the diameter affect its strength? Which line is stronger after being rubbed, I think thats obvious. But what takes to make either line fallible is another story...
    Yes indeed! That's why I don't think rubbing it on a rock really shows anything other than rubbing line on a rock lol. It's far more complicated than just rubbing. I have to go off of my own real world experience. My experience tells me to fish braid for me, however I would really like to get some of that ande backcountry. I would like to have a couple spools of mono for certain stuff, can't go wrong with giving yourself options.
    That's why I made the question as specific as possible...Pound for pound which is more abrasion resistant?

The answer is clearly mono. Its up to each individual to take that piece of info and adjust accordingly.

You are correct.

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    The video is the truth! And you can't handle the truth!!!
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    The truth will set you free!
    You all behave.