Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

St. martins River

Was thinking of taking the wife for a little boat ride and exploration in the Homossassa area this Saturday. I have gone in the Salt River from Homossassa, and out the Little Homossassa a few weeks ago. Any problem with going in the Salt River a little further and coming out the St Martins river, try the fishing where it exits. .? Have a 19'6 bay reef Key West. Just trying to learn the area a little better, I have spent some time pushing off mud flats, it's the rocks that worry me , any major obstacles I,should look for ?

Thanks for any suggestions .

:crossed:crossed:beer
:USA

Replies

• jbehnenjbehnen Posts: 74 Deckhand
    I only been back there once, on someone elses boat, the fishing was great, but it did look like an area that could ruin your day if you were not familiar with it
  • shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 870 Officer
    I never go back there cruising with out my butt puckering.... but do it if there is higher water you will stand a much betters chance ....im on 3rd lower unit in 8 years i guess that ok
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,519 AG
    There is a rock or two.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 504 Officer
    St Martins is on of my favorite places especially the last mile or so to the mouth. It is marked with pvc pipes but the first time just go slow and/or follow someone that knows the route. I run on plane from where the Salt river joins the Homosassa all the way to the end of St Martin's in my J16. You can do this even on low tides once you get familiar. The area from St Martins north into the Fish Creek area is excellent fishing and a great place to learn to navigate and fish the shallows. If would like to follow me sometime I'd be glad to have you along and point out some good spots. I caught my personal best snook up there last May. Just PM me.

Butch
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,787 Captain
    I have been that way lot. I will not do it on low tides.
  • Fore-ReelFore-Reel Posts: 103 Officer
    Thanks guys, I think I will fish outside in the morning, and work my way in Fish Creek Bay area from outside, instead of coming thru St. martins.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 339 Deckhand
    I think the Little Homossassa may be the worst of all. I have seen a real bad limerock outcropping as it opens to the islands.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    Really want to start fishing Homosassa but you guys have me terrified!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,756 Captain
    It's good to be terrified when you start fishing this area. After a while, the terror subsides to just a healthy trepidation.

:crossed

I agree with swampmonster. The front of the Little River is a lot tougher to get through than the St. Martins. Once you can see the St. Martin Keys at the mouth of the St. Martins, there is plenty of water as long as you run directly from pipe to pipe. Just remember that the high water in the St. Martins is about 2 1/2 hr later that at Tucker's Island. Of course the wind can change all that.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,760 Captain
    I think the Little Homossassa may be the worst of all. I have seen a real bad limerock outcropping as it opens to the islands.

I run the little river in my jon year around. I take the ole fishing pontoon down it in the winter only when we have a decent tide but in summer it's usually not a problem for me.

I've run it well over a 100 times and I still sometimes hit. I also was stuck in the mud a few winters ago at an unually low tide and once I got free I had to wait a few hours for more water.

I can run out to the St Martins from there, couple places are really tricky, but to be certain I have a path on the GPS from the mouth on out. I found the only way to navigate the little river was to learn it at all tide levels and pay attention. And hope what you hit wasn't solid. :cool:

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Fore-ReelFore-Reel Posts: 103 Officer
    I did not try the St.Martins testerday as planned from the Homossassa side. Weput in at Pete's Pier in CR, and wandered and fished our way down to the Gray Mare Pass and the St.Martin keys from the gulf side. I was pleasantly surprised at how much water was available, only got real shallow as I got inside, the tide was coing in by then, so had plenty of great looking water to fish. Fishing was not so hot, but it sure looks like an area that can hold a lot of fish. There were oats all over yesterday, to be truthful, did not see many fish coming over the sides of anyone's boat, must have been an off day ?
    This is deffinately an area I will be trying again, and,will tackle the St. Martins whenI know it is high tide !

Appreciate all the comments, they are a big help to newcomers in this area .

:fishing
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Fore-Reel wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I think I will fish outside in the morning, and work my way in Fish Creek Bay area from outside, instead of coming thru St. martins.
    That is the right way to do it. Plot your course on the way back in and save it.
    That river awesome to look at but it BITES HARD if you stray
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 339 Deckhand
    One other thing to think about is don't ever follow a jet foot boat or airboat. I have had to stop and tell people you can't go where I go. Some will not be nice enough to stop and let you know that.
  • mitziboymitziboy Posts: 328 Officer
    One other thing to think about is don't ever follow a jet foot boat or airboat. I have had to stop and tell people you can't go where I go. Some will not be nice enough to stop and let you know that.
    That's funny right there.