Lobstering Off Naples (?)

I've never tried it around here, but I have some great fishing ledges that appear to be perfect for lobstering if only they were in the Keys. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it?

Replies

• fishgutsfishguts Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    They are there, few and far between but usually prety big in size. Alot of shovelheads available too.
  • SnookMagnetSnookMagnet Posts: 122 Officer
    ediemike wrote: »
    I've never tried it around here, but I have some great fishing ledges that appear to be perfect for lobstering if only they were in the Keys. Any thoughts? Anyone tried it?

If you want to give it a shot I'd chip in for gas to go with you. Got scuba gear.
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    If you get a chance to try it, let me know how you do. I have often wondered the same thing and we could save big on gas money even if they are available further south.
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    fishguts wrote: »
    They are there, few and far between but usually prety big in size. Alot of shovelheads available too.

You may not be aware that taking/harvesting "shovelheads", aka shovel nose or slipper lobsters, is prohibited, and recommending someone else to take them is not good advice.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,808 Captain
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    You may not be aware that taking/harvesting "shovelheads", aka shovel nose or slipper lobsters, is prohibited, and recommending someone else to take them is not good advice.

Since when? You cannot take eggbearering slippers or spanish lobster or harvest them in sanctuarys but I am pretty sure they have not changed the rule.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Here is what the regulation now says:

"The harvest or possession of eggbearing spiny lobster , or any other species of lobster belonging to the families Palinuridae (spiny lobsters), Scyllaridae (slipper lobsters), or Synaxidae (furry lobsters) is prohibited."

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/lobster/

I read this to say that all slippers are now on the prohibited list?
  • ediemikeediemike Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Here is what the regulation now says:

"The harvest or possession of eggbearing spiny lobster , or any other species of lobster belonging to the families Palinuridae (spiny lobsters), Scyllaridae (slipper lobsters), or Synaxidae (furry lobsters) is prohibited."

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/lobster/

I read this to say that all slippers are now on the prohibited list?

You've got the right regulation, but that statute pertains to egg-bearing lobsters. The part where it says "...or any other species..." refers to egg-bearing lobsters of those species. Spanish, slipper/shovel nose are legal. And no size or limit as well, I believe.

Here is the only listing I can find for any kind of prohibition (from MyFWC.com):

"Spanish and slipper lobster are closed year round to harvest in KeyLargo and Looe Key Existing Management Areas, Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks, Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Ecological Reserves, Sanctuary Preservation Areas and Special-use Research Only Areas. During the Regular Season, they are closed to harvest in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park Lobster Exclusion Zones and from or within coral formations (patch reefs) within the Park."

http://myfwc.com/media/1483464/Lobster_Brochure.pdf
    OK, I hope you are right. :thumbsup
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 116 Deckhand
    You can definitely harvest shovelnose in general (except for egg bearing). That rule does just pertain to egg bearing harvest and used to only apply to Florida Spiny Lobster (Panulirus Argus) and shovelnose, but then was amended several years ago to apply to pretty much all egg bearing lobster, including all spiny lobsters.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Dropped in on your thread from the panhandle area... we dive for shovels all the time... no season, no size or bag limit... the only restriction is that you cant take eggers... the rules, and (FWC has confirmed at one of our lobster tourneys) allows for spearing shovels also... not that we do it, as they are real easy to grab by hand (they are real slow and dont walk with a tickle stick like spinys either)... only advice is get a good dive light as they blend into the reef... the light reflects their purple eyes and the red and white stripped legs... look on the roof of the holes and ledges as they will hang upside down quite alot. We usually see them diving in 80-120 ft of water up here. Oh yeah, also look for the smaller patches of reef... for some reason, that is usually where we find them. Big reefs either allow them to get way up in there where you cant see or they just aren't there, I dont know. Good luck and hope you guys find em down there
    :fishing:grin
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    Id be in for a dive if your looking to split expenses, I have all my own gear.