Home General Fishing

New inshore rod

fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
I am in need of a new inshore rod for fishing the river and the lagoon. I will mainly be using it to throw artificials, and freeline small shrimp. It needs to be 7'6" long, ML or M action and have a lifetime warranty. I can spend up to $100 buks, but the cheaper the better! Currently I have my eye on some of the falcon rods and the ugly stik rod as wel las calico jack rods. The reason I don't like the ugly stik is the warranty, but I like the price. I don't know much about the calico jack rods. The Fallon rod looks REALY nice, but I am not sure how they honor their warranty. anyone have any experience with Falcon rods. Any suggestions on what rod to get are greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Don't go for the ugly stick but yes for the falcon and calico jacks
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Best rod for under 100 are the st Croix triumph 79.99 :) good luck
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    falcon makes a pretty good rod.. i like the way the blank loads up even with a lighter lure.. i can fire CALs on a weedless hook a helluvalot farther than some other rods ive used.. not too stiff, yet not a buggy whip.. i have the falcon bucoo micro 7'.. the one with the micro guides.. the micro guides basically eliminate wind knots with the slim profile and angle of the guides.. i also have a wright & mcgill blair wiggins flats blue.. 7'9" .. 100 bucks.. its a tad beefy for my tastes but its good for chucking a topwater, or some other bait on the heavy side.. its really good for livebait as well.. before i got the falcon, i had an ande tournament inshore rod i got from walmart.. it was 7' and a **** good rod for the 40 bucks i paid for it.. had it for a few years, but broke the tip off in the mangroves.. but if youre lookin to save money, those ande's are a steal at 40 bucks..
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    i have a shimano tescata rod for sale, retails for $199, backed by shimano's over the counter lifetime warranty, in excellent condition am selling for $70. you are free to come and check it out. however, this is only a 7' rod.
    PM me if you are interested.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Best rod for under 100 are the st Croix triumph 79.99 :) good luck

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    falcon makes a pretty good rod.. i like the way the blank loads up even with a lighter lure.. i can fire CALs on a weedless hook a helluvalot farther than some other rods ive used.. not too stiff, yet not a buggy whip.. i have the falcon bucoo micro 7'.. the one with the micro guides.. the micro guides basically eliminate wind knots with the slim profile and angle of the guides.. i also have a wright & mcgill blair wiggins flats blue.. 7'9" .. 100 bucks.. its a tad beefy for my tastes but its good for chucking a topwater, or some other bait on the heavy side.. its really good for livebait as well.. before i got the falcon, i had an ande tournament inshore rod i got from walmart.. it was 7' and a **** good rod for the 40 bucks i paid for it.. had it for a few years, but broke the tip off in the mangroves.. but if youre lookin to save money, those ande's are a steal at 40 bucks..

FALCON RODS ARE ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! ...I would use light line (around 8-10 lb braid) for shrimp and arti's

or Suffix Siege mono in 6-10 lbs (the only mono i use, and its for leader) it has almost zero memory and has a nice amount of stretch.
    Let's go fishing!
    i have my falcon paired with an abu garcia cardinal sx10 spooled with 8lb braid.. the rod is 4oz, the reel is 6.4oz .. extremely light and balanced setup.. its my go to rod for throwing artificials now.. im gonna be so bummed when it breaks.. its enevitable.. every rod is going to break.. jesus.. makes me wanna go back to the cheap ****
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    Shimano clarus the fresh water series under $100 and has a lifetime warranty
    i have my falcon paired with an abu garcia cardinal sx10 spooled with 8lb braid.. the rod is 4oz, the reel is 6.4oz .. extremely light and balanced setup.. its my go to rod for throwing artificials now.. im gonna be so bummed when it breaks.. its enevitable.. every rod is going to break.. jesus.. makes me wanna go back to the cheap ****

Please share with us :)
    Let's go fishing!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    ande rods are pretty nice for the price. the falcon costal xg is nice, ugly stiks, ehhhh. calico jacks look good, dont like the skinny reel seat. falcon reel seats are pretty skinny too. redbones are nice fishing rods. they changed their warranty recently. or get a used rod in good condition. ask around at bass pro or local tackle shops.
    or buy that guys 200 dollar rod for 70, thats a great deal.
    triumph for a faster tip gulf spin for a softer tip
    Let's go fishing!
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    rysher wrote: »
    i have a shimano tescata rod for sale, retails for $199, backed by shimano's over the counter lifetime warranty, in excellent condition am selling for $70. you are free to come and check it out. however, this is only a 7' rod.
    PM me if you are interested.
    Dude, this is an awesome deal so thanks for the offer! The thing is I really need a 7'6" rod for the extra distance... If I had any extra money to spend I would take you up on your offer but right now I am living on a student budget but this really is an awesome deal!!
    Jetex2801 wrote: »
    Shimano clarus the fresh water series under $100 and has a lifetime warranty

Do the guides hold up? I am scared that they will corrode, or rust in the salt...
    Just rinse it off after the trip and dry it off with a towel, should be no problem
    Let's go fishing!
    Dude, this is exactly why I need a lifetime warranty. I used to just buy cheap stuff, but then I used a friends quality gear and got hooked... I have had a couple "quality" rods break (material defects) on me in the past and the companies did not honor the warranty, so now days I make sure about the warranty before the rod... Falcon says they have a lifetime warranty so I would like to know if they honor it...
    Just rinse it off after the trip and dry it off with a towel, should be no problem

Makes sense. Thanks!
    triumph for a faster tip gulf spin for a softer tip

Sorry for the noob question, but which tip is better for what? I know that when fishing with live bait I prefer a tip that is softer so the bait doesn't fly off when casting, but when fishing with artificial baits do you think a faster tip works better?
    fishboy wrote: »
    Sorry for the noob question, but which tip is better for what? I know that when fishing with live bait I prefer a tip that is softer so the bait doesn't fly off when casting, but when fishing with artificial baits do you think a faster tip works better?

Exactly, I can still work lures with the falcon gulf spin but a fast action triumph is amazing at working lures. The gulf spin makes a more fun fight because of the soft tip (you tend to get that DragScreaming runs more often too, like in the TV shows) it all depends on what you want.
    Let's go fishing!
    Dude, this is exactly why I need a lifetime warranty. I used to just buy cheap stuff, but then I used a friends quality gear and got hooked... I have had a couple "quality" rods break (material defects) on me in the past and the companies did not honor the warranty, so now days I make sure about the warranty before the rod... Falcon says they have a lifetime warranty so I would like to know if they honor it...

i saw a video on youtube of a dude fighting a red from a kayak with a falcon bucoo micro, the red makes a run under the kayak and there wasnt much the guy could do, the rod candy canes and snaps right in two.. he said falcon honored the warranty and sent him a new one.. im not sure if they consistently honor it but thats one time where i know they did.. my wright and mcgill flats blue rod ended up snapped.. i was fighting a big trout and then snap! thats what i told W&M at least lol.. what really happened is that a porpoise slammed the trout and that sudden jolt is what broke it (dont ask me how the line didnt break first.. it all happened so **** fast) and they honored my warranty no prob, within 3 weeks i had a brand new one at my door.. the reviews on this rod are mixed, i have the 7'9 one which is just a hair too stiff for light arti's, but they have many different sizes and actions of this rod.. alot of people hate these rods but im a fan of them.. they really have some backbone and will authoratatively turn a fish.. it has 10 guides on it (as does the falcon bucoo) which makes for a really nice cast.. if casting is your thing though i would definently get the falcon bucoo.. with 8lb braid man its just a casting machine.. very accurate too.. i spent all morning yesterday pitching soft plastics under mangroves from about 60 feet away with no problem at all.. ive had this rod for 5 months and LITERALLY havent gotten a wind knot since on this outfit.. the only problem ive come to find is that the falcon seems to be a freshwater bass rod, so it religiously has to be rinsed after every trip because it doesnt have that little drop of epoxy in the guides, where the wrap ends and the metal of the guide foot starts.. and also.. keep in mind this little ande rod.. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12152611 .. **** has em for 40 bucks, and it also comes in a 7'6 model, which i didnt know about.. i had the 7'0 and it excelled at tossing extremely light soft plastics.. im sure the 7'6 is even better.. i lived and died by this rod, used it near every day for a while.. it lasted me almost 4 years i think and the only reason it failed was because i ran it up in some mangroves and snapped the top 6 inches off.. for the price, you cant beat it.. hell you could buy two and still not hit your 100$ budget.. :grin
    ive been looking for 10 minutes and ive found 95% good reviews and 5% bad reviews on the ande.. found one bad review, the guy was crying that the rod broke when he was using it offshore for grouper..
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I looked at the Ande rods @ Wallyworld & thought the overall quality, feel & components of the ~$40 rod were crappy... For ~$10 more dollars get the Tsunami they sell... It looks & feels much better/nicer... Pair w/this http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/mfg/shimano/symetre-fj.html for ~$100 COMBO !!!
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,995 Captain
    Star rods are the only shelf rods I run.

Everything else is custom.
    I looked at the Ande rods @ Wallyworld & thought the overall quality, feel & components of the ~$40 rod were crappy... For ~$10 more dollars get the Tsunami they sell... It looks & feels much better/nicer... Pair w/this http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/mfg/shimano/symetre-fj.html for ~$100 COMBO !!!

what model tsunami is it?.. the only tsunami theyve had in my walmart was that 80 dollar one.. but then again, my walmart blows
    and for the record, those ande rods are far from crap.. i never had a problem with any of the components.. loads up and fires a light lure like a champ..
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    With your criteria I'd strongly advise taking a look at TFO's Loomis Signature Series ML rod. It's better than Falcon.
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    Do the guides hold up? I am scared that they will corrode, or rust in the salt...

The guides are fine, I try to wipe them down after every trip but it has gone a couple times with out rinsing and is still perfect, I've been really impressed with the rod landed my biggest Florida Red on it (43lb)
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    With your criteria I'd strongly advise taking a look at TFO's Loomis Signature Series ML rod. It's better than Falcon.

i was in the market for a decent rod for less than 100. after looking around at everything out there, you cant really get a decent rod for under 100 bucks. i have a falcon, great rod. star rods are nice, but im not that big of a fan, ive tried almost every stellar lite and seagis they have. not a big fan, but great rods. wouldnt have minded trying a clarus, but no one had the one i would have liked. already have a compre, great 100 dollar range rod. i suggest. looked at the TFO several times in the past. and this time i finally bit. the M is more M/MH, ML is a ML/M, gotta go by the lure rating, line ratings are off. i picked up the yellow one, "M" action. I gotta say, i really like the rod. thats been the one ive been choosing first my last several trips out. my compre, and crucial are nice, but new rods are fun to use, especially when they are this nice for a cheap price. I recommend the TFO as well.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    i was in the market for a decent rod for less than 100. after looking around at everything out there, you cant really get a decent rod for under 100 bucks. i have a falcon, great rod. star rods are nice, but im not that big of a fan, ive tried almost every stellar lite and seagis they have. not a big fan, but great rods. wouldnt have minded trying a clarus, but no one had the one i would have liked. already have a compre, great 100 dollar range rod. i suggest. looked at the TFO several times in the past. and this time i finally bit. the M is more M/MH, ML is a ML/M, gotta go by the lure rating, line ratings are off. i picked up the yellow one, "M" action. I gotta say, i really like the rod. thats been the one ive been choosing first my last several trips out. my compre, and crucial are nice, but new rods are fun to use, especially when they are this nice for a cheap price. I recommend the TFO as well.

My best fishing buddy uses the 7ft M TFO. It's a great rod, he's caught some beast fish on that thing and for the $$$ I can't imagine a longer casting rod. TFO rods are among the most underrated in the market IMO, I'm close to picking up a 6'9 tactical for dock work.
  • TeamAmericaTeamAmerica Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Star Rod Stellar lite I love both of mine and have never had a issue. And star is awesome with their warranties