Home General Fishing

Daiwa Saltist vs Quantum Boca. Please help decide!

maironbrmaironbr Posts: 75 Deckhand
Hi everyone,

I am about to buy 2 spinning reels for jigging offshore Key Largo, but do not want to spend too much. I have on Trevala up to 200lb and a Penn Carnage up to 100lb.

After lots of research, I am between these 2:

. Daiwa Saltist STT6500H
. Quantum Boca BSP80PTSD

The differences I've found is that Daiwa has less drag, however, is faster than the Boca. Also, some people says it is better constructed.

Your inputs would be really appreciated.

Also, would you guys use 65lb or 80lb for jigging?

Thank you very much,

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    IMO you want a slower retrieve for Jigging (more torque & easier on angler)... I assume you're looking at the NEW Boca (the AR bearings in the last Gen. reels were crap & could not survive Jigging). I would look at the Saragosa 10-18k or move up to the NEW Quantum Cabo (the old Cabo had the same AR issues)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    diawa saltist.
    all day, every day.
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 405 Deckhand
    i like my old quantum bocas but i used them for inshore and one did have AR bearing issues. supposedly they fixed that issue with the new reels. i have heard good things about both reels though.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    2X for the Saltist!

I'm using 80lb braid. The thing is a beast on a Terez up to 200lb that I'm using.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Saltist x 100
    Built like a tank takes a beating, will last longer
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Saltist is an awesome reel.
    i like my old quantum bocas but i used them for inshore and one did have AR bearing issues. supposedly they fixed that issue with the new reels. i have heard good things about both reels though.

The older Bocas/Cabos were great for everything but Jigging (& the smaller inshore reels were hard to beat)... They just couldn't handle the constant banging on the AR bearing... Many reels failed 1st trip...
    Heard good things about the Saltist (except the gearing is a little fast for a day of speed jigging)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • maironbrmaironbr Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Hey guys! Thanks a lot for the prompt responses. I thought that the more speed on the reel the best for speed jigging (less effort by the angler?).
    And yes, I was talking about the NEW cabos and bocas. Also hearn bad things about the old models.
    Drag wise, would I feel much difference between the 55lb drag on the Boca vs the 33lb on the Saltist?

Cheers!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I don't see how you would use that much drag.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Some reel manufacturers would be in trouble if the FTC ever bothered to check their outlandish drag claims.....
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    The Boca uses carbon fiber drag washers meaning a smoother drag at higher settings also the Saltist lacks a line roller bearing, just some minor points to think about.
  • TSJTSJ Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Diawa, great drags. Quantum's break.
  • BottombouncerBottombouncer Posts: 678 Officer
    Too many bad quantum experiences for me to give them another chance. I have a Stradic 8000 w/ 55lb braid on a 100lb trevalla. I locked down the drag and winched up everything. One AJ broke my line. Since then I have added a Saragosa 14000 w/ 80lb on a 200lb terez and a Saltist 4500 on loomis pro blue. All three are solid and I would recommend either one.
    maironbr wrote: »
    I thought that the more speed on the reel the best for speed jigging (less effort by the angler?)
    Drag wise, would I feel much difference between the 55lb drag on the Boca vs the 33lb on the Saltist?
    Cheers!
    Lower gear ratio = more Torque (generally speaking) & much better for Jigging (easier on angler)... Jigging reels are PG (Power Gear = Lower Gear Ratio) & Casting/Popping Reels are HG (Higher Gear Ratio)... The Saltist is 'technically' an HG (Casting/Popping Reel), but it CAN be used for Jigging...
    Forgot to mention that for the price range the Saragosa is by far the better reel.
    Jetex2801 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that for the price range the Saragosa is by far the better reel.

Yep... & the 10K is much tougher than the 8K... If chasing monsters the 14K/18K will handle ~99% of fish you'll hook... The only fish that pretty consistently trash big 'Gosas are BIG BFT off the NE coast... Alan Hawk (Spinner Guru) has promised a detailed review of the new Cabo, so that should be interesting... Also, rumor has it Shimano is introducing a 'better' 'Gosa later this year...
    So looking forward to the new gosa