Home General Fishing

Tarpon Leadering Gloves?

91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
When leadering tarpon we tend to get pretty aggressive so we can get the fish in still green and not so worn down. We then give a quick pop on the leader and leave them with only the hook in their jaw. They all swim away in much better shape than the ones we fight all the way to getting a grip on their jaw and removing the hook.

We do a good bit of this type of fishing and I still haven't found a pair of gloves I'm happy with for this. I'm still using a really old pair of yellow gloves with a criss cross pattern of rubber grip material on them. When I grab a leader they do not slip. They are all stretched out and on their last legs. Not sure they even make them anymore, they are at least 8 years old.

I also tried a pair of these: http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Fishing-Gloves/product/100139/

While they do good job of gripping a tarpon jaw, they are very slick when grabbing the leader. I pretty much hate them for leadering. I have seen some higher dollar gloves but have been hesitant to invest without a good recommendation. I doubt I can return them after dunking in the saltwater.

Anybody have a pair they really like that do a good job of griping mono and flouro on heavy fish? If so do they run big, small...etc?

Thanks.

Replies

• DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    The yellow/orange nylon ones with the criss/cross rubber that you've been using are the deal..$2.95 at just about anywhere; it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    I had similar gloves but when they sit around in the heat they stick to everything, including themselves, then they leave pieces of the rubber behind. Goto sears and check out a pair of their mechanics work gloves. $15 for a pretty good glove
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    I use the Pelagic gloves, as pictured below being used to leader a fish and get a DNA sample. They are good, but a bit brittle given their price....

original.jpg

I tried a cheap pair of rubber coated gardening gloves and a similar pair from Calcutta, but they melted under the heat of the Florida sun. There's still some rubber in the hatch I used to keep them in. lol

Most of the folks I know use the cheap yellow ones with the criss-cross pattern.
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I have the criss cross gloves also, I keep them in cooler before I need to use them.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Do the Pelagic gloves have a good grip on wet mono and flouro? I did see a few bad reviews on them that they developed holes in the stitching quicker than you would expect for a $35 glove.

That's not a bad idea to go to Sears and see what they have.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Germ wrote: »
    I had similar gloves but when they sit around in the heat they stick to everything, including themselves, then they leave pieces of the rubber behind. Goto sears and check out a pair of their mechanics work gloves. $15 for a pretty good glove
    I clip them to a rail on the platform...they dry out well and don't stick to anything until I want them to.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,021 Captain
    Like many I use the yellow/orange gloves with the non-skid on them. I never wash them in any detergent -just a good strong hosing then they're allowed to dry. Maybe I have a different take on it since I'm out of business if I injure my hands... I keep a brand new spare pair aboard and won't tolerate gloves that are in poor condition.

Since I also occasionally work off of my customer's boats I never leave this stuff to chance. You can bet I bring a pair of gloves along (among other small necessities) every time I'm not on my own skiff....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666