Fire Extinshers and Enclosed Spaces

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,783 Admiral
I've got a Carolina Skiff J16.
It's 15.9 Ft. 16 Ft is the cut off for Fire Stuff.
Plus it's mounted under the Center Console, But it's only got 2 sides to the Console. You can look from the Bow right on thru , See the Fuel Tank and all the way to the back of the Boat. Big openings all the way thru as is 2x3 ft on both sides not a 6 inch Peephole.
What's Enclosed mean. 4 Sides and a top.. A cover on 2 sides only , maybe one side means it's Enclosed ?
I don't want to be a Test Case , But this Tank is Not Enclosed.
Heck , The Boats only 16 ft. long.We're not Manning Fire Stations if It starts Smokin , I'm standing on the Sandbar with the Cooler right quick....:grin
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• fishnhuntfishnhunt Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    16 ft is not the cutoff for needing a fire extinguisher, it is the cut off for not needing a throwable. You need a fire extinguisher (even on a vessel less than 16 feet) if your gas tank is enclosed or if the tank is permanently affixed. So if on your boat if the tank is not permanently affixed such as one of the portable fuel tanks that you can disconnect and remove easily you do not need a fire extinguisher, although it would still be a good idea.
  • fishnhuntfishnhunt Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    16 ft is not the cutoff for needing a fire extinguisher, it is the cut off for not needing a throwable. You need a fire extinguisher (even on a vessel less than 16 feet) if your gas tank is enclosed or if the tank is permanently affixed. So on your boat since the tank is not fully enclosed, if the tank is not permanently affixed such as one of the portable fuel tanks that you can disconnect and remove easily you do not need a fire extinguisher, although it would still be a good idea.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    You can get a small marine extinguisher for $20. No reason not to have one in my opinion.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    a fire extinguisher is good to have just in case you can even help others.. the LEO we met this last year goes by a rule of being able to get your personal flotation device in hand by 5 seconds.. I agree with that also (if you are standing or sitting just start counting how long it will take you to get to it in an emergency, grab it and or toss it.. ) makes a lot of sense..