Question on Placida boat ramp

Friend and I will be staying at Cabbage Key for 3 nights in May to do some Tarpon fishing. Was thinking about launching from the Placida Boat ramp just to the right of the bridge leading to Gasparilla Island.
Is that a safe ramp to leave a truck and trailer unattended for three nights?
Is there a fee at that ramp?
Our other option is Pineland Marina on Pine Island which I am familiar with but that will add another hour in travel.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• 863 maverick863 maverick Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Scminnow wrote: »
    Friend and I will be staying at Cabbage Key for 3 nights in May to do some Tarpon fishing. Was thinking about launching from the Placida Boat ramp just to the right of the bridge leading to Gasparilla Island.
    Is that a safe ramp to leave a truck and trailer unattended for three nights?
    Is there a fee at that ramp?
    Our other option is Pineland Marina on Pine Island which I am familiar with but that will add another hour in travel.
    Thanks in advance

without a doubt pineland marina . Short run to Cabbage and easy in and out ..Same cost per day on the trailor as well .
    Good People ..
    Always try to do it right and take care of what you need ..
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,972 Captain
    You can buy a permit from charlotte county for $25'ish for 3 months. If you are there for more than 2 days, it is worth it.

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/CommunityServices/ParkingPermitApp.pdf

You can fax the app, they get it back to you pretty quickly.

I have used Pineland a couple times and if I recall correctly, although it is physically closer, from placida the path is extremely well marked. If pineland is an hour further, I would use placida. I have left my car there for several days without issue.

Tight Lines
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,806 Captain
    without a doubt pineland marina . Short run to Cabbage and easy in and out ..Same cost per day on the trailor as well .
    Good People ..
    Always try to do it right and take care of what you need ..

Thanks I'm familiar with Pineland Marina, put in and out many times there through the years. Just wanted to see if the Placida ramp was an option to save an extra hour of driving. May still put in there depending on the weather.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,806 Captain
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    You can buy a permit from charlotte county for $25'ish for 3 months. If you are there for more than 2 days, it is worth it.

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/CommunityServices/ParkingPermitApp.pdf

You can fax the app, they get it back to you pretty quickly.

I have used Pineland a couple times and if I recall correctly, although it is physically closer, from placida the path is extremely well marked. If pineland is an hour further, I would use placida. I have left my car there for several days without issue.

Tight Lines

Thanks for the link, what is the actual name of that ramp?
  • pretzelbpretzelb Posts: 112 Deckhand
    I would use Eldred's..The public ramp I have had issues with people steeling handles form my trailor and some idiot hit my trailor and did alot of damage to it and never left a note.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,032 Captain
    Don't know where your starting from, but the Gasparilla Marina (around the bend from the county launch in Placida) has safe parking.