Home General Fishing

wrights&mcgill saltwater big game rods and all other models

loud by designloud by design Posts: 77 Greenhorn
hi all im looking to hear about your experience with the newer wrights&mcgill rods. i am currently looking for a longer tarpon rod (7'6-8') for medium and larger tarpon to be paired up with my battle 6000. im looking at their 7'6 heavy action big game spinning rod. if i did like this rod it might also give me a reason to pick up a few other lighter long rods for sight fishing. so my question to everyone is how has your experience with these rods been?

What did you like and dislike about them?

What models have you used and would you suggest? which would you not suggest

and how is their warranty.
thanks and heres the link to the rod i was looking at
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12089024&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414795

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    The specs look good on the 7'6" but to me it's still 6" too short. Artis are okay, but livies need all the help they can get.

I'm still looking for an 8' heavy rod with a light enough tip to throw light livies for my Penn Conquer 7k.

I used to have a Chaos rod that was perfect, but I sold it before I knew better.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    I would get a nice size mojo inshore instead imo and PP maybe a custom rod?
    Let's go fishing!
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    I suggest a St Croix Avid Series they make a 7'6 or an 8'. But of course, it's not camoflage so the fish will see you fishing with it. :grin

But to answer your question purely on the build of the rod, I don't like the heavy metal reel seat on them. Its a good quality reel seat but to me a metal reel seat gets slippery when when compared to a graphite, and for a spinning reel where the foot is painted it can chew up the paint on the foot of the reel (metal on metal) . Not to mention it is heavy in comparision. They went with split grip to try to make the rod weigh less but the reel seat is too much.

They have good guides on them, I dont like the slow feeling action like a ugly stick though.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Too cheap to have a custom built. Avid is too stiff thru the tip.
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    PP for what you are looking for, consider the G1000 Live bait series from Lamiglass. GLB 96 - 1M is a 30# line class with a 6.5 tip and a 0.61 butt and rated 3/4 - 2 1/4 oz. a light tip to throw bait, a mod fast rod for live bait, an 8' blank that also has backbone at 30#.

You should be able to get one built for $185 unless you go with high dollar guides. I don't know what a factory built would cost.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Too cheap to have a custom built. Avid is too stiff thru the tip.

Although I don't find the Avid too tip-stiff, the Tidemaster is a bit lighter with a bit of a slower action which lends itself to live bait -- and it is a bit cheaper too. Still a quality rod. I own them both.

They are no longer made but the best 7' 6" tarpon rod I ever owned was a Loomis SWR 90-20S. It's a heavy rod with a trolling butt, but I've yet to own or fish with a graphite rod with more tarpon-turning power. You can occasionally find them on eBay.

That Lamiglass blank that Abu referenced is a ballsy rod too. Fished with a custom one and it was quite nice and a great casting rod, and from a company that is going nowhere with an unmatched warranty and dealer network.

I am not impressed with the W&M offerings in the slightest. In that price range, the Shimano Terramar rod is much better, IMO -- from a company that is going nowhere and with an unrivaled warranty and dealer network.

Lastly, for tarpon, I find I prefer a longer rod (8') for throwing live bait (for instance on the beaches), but for up close fishing (for instance around bridges or in passes), I prefer a shorter rod (7-7'6"). For casting lures in open water (for instance plug fishing), I'm more split and it depends on the fish and the lure.

Hope this helps...Mike