Home General Fishing

smaller diameter guides vs. standard sized guides

DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
So lets say your rod tip is broken and you need to replace the guide with another one.....if you were to choose between a smaller diameter guide and a standard sized guide, which one would you pick? Keep in mind your ultimate goal is to enhance casting distance. I'm not a rod builder and I was just curious about what people in this part of the forum have to say.
Let's go fishing!

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    do you mean like the micro guides? if so i say go with them.. i have a falcon bucoo and i literally havent had a wind knot since i got it.. i love micro guides
  • dombern34dombern34 Posts: 124 Deckhand
    the micro's are great but, if youre using braid to fluoro the knot will hit the guides sometimes and it just gets annoying IMO. the regular guides will do it all but if you're normally fishing with straight mono or Fluoro then i would use micros and not think twice.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    I am not a rod builder either.But i can tell you changing "just the tip" isn't going to change anything.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    I am not a rod builder either.But i can tell you changing "just the tip" isn't going to change anything.

I had this rod (st. croix triumph) and the insert on the guide cracked.... I went to a tackleshop and got it fixed with a smaller diameter guide and I got at least 10 yards more of casting distance. I was just asking just to make sure and it wasn't just a coincidence. I went to a local rod builder a few days ago and he said a smaller tip will help.
    Let's go fishing!
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I had this rod (st. croix triumph) and the insert on the guide cracked.... I went to a tackleshop and got it fixed with a smaller diameter guide and I got at least 10 yards more of casting distance. I was just asking just to make sure and it wasn't just a coincidence. I went to a local rod builder a few days ago and he said a smaller tip will help.

Over the years I've built countless rods in countless configurations, and as long as you're using braid there's very little you can do to add/reduce casting distance. You can reduce the swing weight, and you can change the way a blank carries a load, but in the end it makes very little difference. If you want more distance use lighter line, or heavier plugs.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,373 Captain
    Got to agree with ODC... For my part, every time I see those itty bitty guides on brand new rods I thnk just how badly the company is (insert your favorite bad word here..) is abusing their customers. Remember folks smaller guides are less money...

At any rate I was taught many years ago to allow for any leader and the knots they come with when designing a rod for the salt and serious fish... That means that the smallest guide (the one next to the tip top will be at least a #8,and for larger rods (say a commercial kingfish rod...) it would be a number 10... Not only will tiny guides ruin your ability to have leader knots inside the guides when casting (if needed) but they'll be really really bad when you've got a 100 lb + cranky fish at boatside and may need to have that line to leader knot up inside your guides just before the fish is actually leadered.... Along with guide size there's actually a difference in tiptop sizes (you'll note that tiptops have a ring size and a tube size... the tube has to fit the tip of the rod blank, it's up to you to choose the ring size - and I always choose the larger size if available).

I built my first rod in 1971 (and still have it laying around somewhere)... That means when I started it was well before graphite blanks (now called "carbon fiber" to make it sound fancier...), Fuji ceramics and their descendants, etc. A rod is still a lever with the angler on the wrong end and all the hardware needs to be chosen for its utility (does it do the job?). I'm sure there's lots of places where little bitty guides are a good idea, but it's not in my world....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    i make my fluro leaders about 2.5-3 feet long, and even with the slimmest uni to uni knot, you are right, they wont easily pass through those small guides and would probably damage them on a cast.. i have to make sure on every cast that the knot is just outside the tiptop guide.. and its more challenging to cast with so much line out, but it just takes a little more aim and concentration.. but for me the pros far outweigh this only con i can find.. i dont feel you get more actual distance (MORE guides would provide that) but with the slim profile and upswept guides, you simply dont get wind knots.. the line, instead of wrapping around the guide, sheds off due to the low profile and angle of the guide.. at least this is the way it is on my Falcon Bucoo Micro which is a mass produced, storebought rod.. i am a big fan of the micro guides personally and i will keep an interest in them.. :grin
    after more thinkin on the subject, theoratically, couldnt guides with a smaller inner diamater help give you casting distance? on account of how it reduces line slap against the blank?
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    Using lighter materials, in this case guides, makes the transfer of energy more efficient.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Albrights (at least the ones I tie,) seem to have a smaller diameter than my U2U's.