Home General Fishing

need help with casting a level wind reel

i bought a penn defiance 25w level wind rod & reel combo. i'm having trouble casting it out long distance. i'm using 50lb braid with a bottom rig and a 2oz sinker. i can only cast it out about 20 yards. once it gets out into the air, the spool bird nests and the reel stops. any suggestions to get long distance?

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Learn to cast a conventional reel...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    you need to learn to thumb the spool and adjust the tension on the spool. They arent easy to cast and takes lot of practice
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    its not easy.. for me at least lol.. i would always get up on the pulpit where i could underhand cast, and get pretty good results that way.. you also have to work the spool with your thumb a bit to avoid the tangles..
    Germ wrote: »
    you need to learn to thumb the spool and adjust the tension on the spool. They arent easy to cast and takes lot of practice

exactly... once the terminal end of your line slows down, you have to manually slow the spool down a bit with your thumb otherwise the spool spins faster than your line is traveling and it spins into a birds nest.. try your best to get the adjustments dialed in like Germ said
  • doctorphildoctorphil Posts: 113 Deckhand
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    exactly... once the terminal end of your line slows down, you have to manually slow the spool down a bit with your thumb otherwise the spool spins faster than your line is traveling and it spins into a birds nest

Definitely this . . . and then lure weight. IMHO, most reels in this class are picky about what weight they like.
    i used to cast mine with an 8oz weight.. it aint easy and theres lots of tanglin and cursin lol.. when i frequented the headboats i would get there early and claim my spot on the pulpit (the very front) so i had no sides of the boat under me just freespace, where i could pitch underhanded.. easiest method ive come up with
  • doctorphildoctorphil Posts: 113 Deckhand
    8 oz . . . holy cow! I find that many people try to cast the crap out of a reel, but with an ideal weight and setting, these things will cast a country mile with not a lot of effort.
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Don't take it the wrong way, but you probably should have learned to throw a baitcast or conventional before buying one and filling it with braid. You can't just disengage the reel and throw; it will overrun every time and backlash. This is caused by the varying trajectory and speed of whatever you are casting. At the start of the throw, sling the bait and take your thumb off the spool. As the bait reaches the peak of it's arc or apex, you begin slowly applying more tension on the spool with your thumb, and ultimately stopping the revolving spool as the bait hits the water. It takes some getting used to, and in time you will be able to vary the pressure as needed to ensure that the reel has as much free-spool time as possible, allowing further casts. Thumbing the spool too early shortens the cast, and thumbing it too late allows the spool to continue turning even though the bait is no longer travelling (or traveling as fast as it was), which is why the line bunches up on your spool. It is better to start by applying a little too much pressure than not enough. This may sound confusing, but it's really all just feel. You don't have to watch for the bait to reach a certain point or anything, at some point it will just become natural and you'll be able to feel how to cast and thumb in the dark.
    Reelinrudy wrote: »
    Don't take it the wrong way, but you probably should have learned to throw a baitcast or conventional before buying one and filling it with braid. You can't just disengage the reel and throw; it will overrun every time and backlash. This is caused by the varying trajectory and speed of whatever you are casting. At the start of the throw, sling the bait and take your thumb off the spool. As the bait reaches the peak of it's arc or apex, you begin slowly applying more tension on the spool with your thumb, and ultimately stopping the revolving spool as the bait hits the water. It takes some getting used to, and in time you will be able to vary the pressure as needed to ensure that the reel has as much free-spool time as possible, allowing further casts. Thumbing the spool too early shortens the cast, and thumbing it too late allows the spool to continue turning even though the bait is no longer travelling (or traveling as fast as it was), which is why the line bunches up on your spool. It is better to start by applying a little too much pressure than not enough. This may sound confusing, but it's really all just feel. You don't have to watch for the bait to reach a certain point or anything, at some point it will just become natural and you'll be able to feel how to cast and thumb in the dark.

good point.. thats the most important part, knowing precisely when to start applying friction to the spool.. and youve got to be nice and smooth with your motions when you make the actual cast.. no jerky stuff!! i used to do it with a penn senator 113H .. you will definently learn with this reel.. good luck :grin
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    If it doesnt have a cast control, ie: magnetic, centrifugal, or at least a spool tension knob, you're in for a lot of misery. Every now and then I cast my TLD5 in the surf, and actually use the drag for cast control, and it sucks.

Spare yourself, and get a reel made for casting.
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    Penn Defiance reels are really not designed for casting like a levelwind baitcaster is. I'm sure you could get some better distance in your cast with practice and learn when and how much pressure to put on the spool with your thumb to avoid backlashes.... but 2 ounces of lead is not enough weight IMO to get any significant distance with a defiance. I've never tried casting a levelwind reel with braid on it either, but I know how bad a bird's nest mono will give you when you're first learning how to cast a conventional reel....can only imagine the kinds of backlashes braided line will get you if you screw up a cast. I would respool it with some cheap mono and practice casting it until you get the hang of it.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 251 Deckhand
    The easiest way is to start with a heavier weight and as you get more proficient slowly back down on the size weight you like. When I am teaching beginners at the pond behind the house on how to use a baitcaster I tell them to aim for the top of the trees instead of the water so they stop the rod earlier and the line arcs out as it should instead of slamming in the water in front of them.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    Buy a spinning reel...Done
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    SJC wrote: »
    Buy a spinning reel...Done

That's what all the girls say.