Girlfriends first camping/fishing trip

Hello again, I posted a few months ago asking about the fishing in and around St Andrews State Park got some great pointers and advice, I was just curious as to any updates on the fishing conditions? We don't have a boat but might look into a charter if we don't have much success from the beach pier or jetty.

We will be leaving Michigan and heading down May 3rd till the 10th and was wondering what the hot bite will be and what to be prepared for.
Gotta make this a trip of a lifetime for her or else I can kiss the chance of any exotic strictly fishing trips goodbye.

Anyone that has any general fishing areas or bait/lure types would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to steal any secrets unless you care to share but would love to get her excited about fishing. Is topwater an option in the surf, I feel like getting her to see the action will get her hooked. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will be sure to post our success once we get back.
Thanks again!
-Ryan

I guess I should find out favorite eating spots or shopping areas and other attractions near PCB, Thanks

Replies

• Mryin334Mryin334 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Set rig for pompano. Sand flee rake for bait. Enjoy the weather and wait for a hook up
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    You can check in with our food connoisseur and fisherman "reel stamas" and direct you to the local beach restaurants. :)
  • pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Don't forget the cooler of ya favorite cold beverage! :beer
  • Mr19-6Mr19-6 Posts: 166 Deckhand
    Stress free fishing(live or dead bait).

Tell her before hand that if she feels bored or wants to quit for the day to speak up. Leave when she wants.

Mix in some sightseeing/crusing in. Women tend to enjoy fishing more if broken up with some cruising.

Do what you can to not get skunked.
  • rtb5048rtb5048 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I appreciate it fellas, she is a 'reel' trooper, wanted me to teach her how to cast today in the snow (nothing like April in Michigan) so I don't have to cast for her when we are down there. She is also really excited to eat what she catches so pompano would be fantastic, but almost anything will taste better than the bluegill she caught her first time fishing. Her only fishing experience was this winter ice fishing here is how it went...

Amanda "Ahhhhh"
    Me "Do you have one on?"
    Amanda "I don't know.... AHH YES!"
    Me "Good job babe"
    Amanda "Oh no the hook went through its mouth I feel bad.... Can we eat it?"

I cant wait to see how she handles some saltwater fish, hope all is well down there!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,187 Officer
    rtb5048 wrote: »
    Her only fishing experience was this winter ice fishing here is how it went...

Amanda "Ahhhhh"
    Me "Do you have one on?"
    Amanda "I don't know.... AHH YES!"
    Me "Good job babe"
    Amanda "Oh no the hook went through its mouth I feel bad.... Can we eat it?"

That's great!! Reminds me of taking my wife fishing for the fisrt time when we started dating......bass fishing on the Tennessee River in Knoxville. She screamed at the top of her lungs when a fish finally bit & I was afraid she was going to throw the rod in the water when fish pulled on the line. It scared her to death & she too didn't want to hurt them. It was hilarious!! She's much better at it now; although not up to the saltwater stuff due to motion sickness.

Your girlfriend will do great & y'all will have a lot of fun.

Livin' the Dream !
  • rtb5048rtb5048 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    There is no doubt we will have an amazing time, we can find ways to have fun in the worst possible locations so being in the beautiful St Andrews State Park will be phenomenal. I am planning to break up our trip with trips to Destin, Seaside/Watercolor, take a few trips to Pier Park to let her enjoy some shopping and civilization so she doesn't hate me for all of the fishing, especially if my saltwater bad luck continues. What would be my best bet if I wanted to do a charter? I just watched an old home movie and saw that I went with Captain Hank when I was 15 with a lot of success, I have been told that Osprey Charters is a good one for light tackle and inshore fishing? Anyone have any positive/negative charter trips to help me pick someone?