Home Tropics

Harbour Island

Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
I have yet grace the shores of Harbour Island and I am thinking of going down there next week to meet some friends. Heard a lot about the Devil's Backbone on the approach. Is there actually a need for a pilot boat to bring you in or is that just for rag boaters? I draw 3', twin inboards. Anybody been? Thanks

Replies

• blackwaterblackwater Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    For the first timers I would definitely use a pilot, I had a pilot for the a few times but compared our route to the Garmin shartplotter and it was dead on, then went on our own after that, first time thru my Northstar was way off on the coarse and replaced it with another Garmin, also after going thru save your route.........
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    yes get a pilot! they know the way, tide, swells and every turn.. run it only after you know it.. fish the dump flats for bonefish, fish the south cut on windy days for muttons and get a golf cart and have fun..
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    We used to spend alot of time there...there's only one guide i would use and his Clayton Pinder, when you get to N. Eleuthera call for Clayton Pinder or A1, either one can guide you in. Let me know if you need anymore info...my uncle used to live over there!!!
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Many thanks, all
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    the first few times we went we had one, it just makes it a little safer, but you can go slow and should be okay. If you are not worried about themoney i would definitely recommend getting one, a lot of boats have hit bottom there...
  • Reel EscReel Esc Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I spent a good amout of time there last year and just went up and around everytime. If you are going to come in thru the backbone, I would not do it without a pilot. Last year went over with another buddy of mine. I ran up and aorund and he went in to do the backbone - by the time he got the pilot on the radio and on board and got to the dock, I had been tied up for an hour at Valentines - food for thought, it is farther to run all the way around, but after you get to the island most boats go out the back side/south end of the island to get to the fishing grounds. There are 2 tight spots, when you first come in the cut and when you make the turn around the flat, but it is pretty weel marked on the charts and I would just wait to follow another boat, there is a good amount of traffic.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,946 AG
    Yes on the pilot for the first couple times.

Gusty's, Pink Sands, Sip Sip, etc...

Be sure to eat at the Rock House.
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    We took a 150fter in last year and used Woody. Get some of his wifes baking as well!

Spanish Wells Pilot Service, (Little Woody) Phone: 242-333-4433