Home Tropics

Why doesn't Big Game Club have the old Big game club ?

Big game club used to also be a club. I know I was a corporate member and still have the burpie!

Why not try it again with the membership with benefits, like preferential room reservation, a small discount on rooms and slips, and try to rebuild that atmosphere of being part of something, that use to exist?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Actually Ron, that has been in the works for the last few months and at the Billfish we hope to make an announcement. Mike has been getting feed back from regulars on what it should include and then trying to work out very reasonable pricing for it. Right now discounted docks, rooms, a bag of ice per day and several other things have been discussed.
    I for one am happy you tossed this thing up here and would love to see suggestions on what membership would entail...
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    how about a special hat or shirt to signify to bar tenders not to ignore you for 15 minutes while waiting at the bar for a drink...:grin
    They do that to management as well so I don't know if that will work. We have three good ones but the "other shift" is ... well... not exactly lightning... On going process of trying to find good staff hopes to correct that... A little more complicated system over here than what we have in the states...

We are working on getting a "Catch Board" to display showing off exceptional catches on annual and on going basis among a load of improvements in the pipe line... Part of problem is permits for every little thing we want to do. Even the tournies have all kinds of fees, rules and permits for each one. Almost not worth the work. I guess they don't look at all the extra shifts and jobs the events bring as being enough...
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    Too Funny Lazy Bones.. been there and just tried to reason with it is like dealing with a hurricane.. the lost revenue alone is enough that management should do something.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Too Funny Lazy Bones.. been there and just tried to reason with it is like dealing with a hurricane.. the lost revenue alone is enough that management should do something.
    I posted above management is doing all they can. Govt regs won't allow them to just simply "replace" workers. Long drawn out process to get that done. Official reviews, then multiple probationary periods, then employee can appeal to govt council... not like we have at home...
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Compleat wrote: »
    not like we have at home...

Yet.

I'd join simply because it would be kind of cool to say you are a member; it might even be enough to convince me to make bimini my destination next week... LOL
    2003 Viking 45C
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Ron, somewhere in the FS Archive is my post bringing up the same point from back when Guy Harvey took the place over; it's a good way to take some of the peaks and valleys out of a seasonal business.
    I posted above management is doing all they can. Govt regs won't allow them to just simply "replace" workers. Long drawn out process to get that done. Official reviews, then multiple probationary periods, then employee can appeal to govt council... not like we have at home...

An Italian friend of mine in Freeport who managed a hotel there was asked to leave the island shortly after he took on the union on this subject. On the other hand, as long as the quality is maintained people need to understand that dining in the Bahamas is not a fast-food experience.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    people need to understand that dining in the Bahamas is not a fast-food experience.

We always figure when going out to eat lunch or dinner in da islands, that it's not a meal, but will probably be more like an "experience"!
  • For me that would be exciting to have the "catch board" and some of the same little things that made the Club, the "Club"
    Well, thats what we want to know... The little things... We get enough stuff to make it attractive enough we can do this...
    Pushing this one back up top. What is it that you would like to see the new club include???... We are scrambling to make it happen and make it your way...
    Has any one got a source for getting personalized plastic cards made? Looking at the machines to do it our self is really pretty expensive. We don't want our members just to be a number. We would like to have their names on the cards as well...
  • Team MayhemTeam Mayhem Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    For what it's worth, you could count me in as another one who would consider a membership. I make enough trips over there each year to think it could be worth my while. It would probably motivate me to come over a little more frequently too. I don't typically stay at the BGC but I always go there for dinner and drinks. If there was some kind of incentive pricing for rooms or slips then a membership could be worth while. To me there has to either be something cool, unique, or convenient with the membership. I like the free ice idea but I would up it to 3 bags a day or something with a little more impact.

For the sake of brainstorming, here are a couple of other ideas that may not be too costly but I would consider a nice "perk" of membership. Some may (or may not) be feasible but I'll throw in a few ideas.
    1) a couple of free drink tickets per visit
    2) a handful of coupons/tickets per year to get up to say 12 (or whatever #) conch cleaned for free
    3) a handful of coupons/tickets per year to get say 5 (again or whatever # makes sense) fish cleaned free... Would be kind of nice to have a handful of Dolphin, Wahoo, or Mutton Snapper cleaned at the end of the day. Would be one less thing to have to worry about at the dock.
    4) Discounted food and beverage
    5) The catch board is a cool idea
    6) A BGC "record book". I would have to believe one exists from a historical perspective but perhaps having a modern version for the "new" club could help build some excitement.
    7) reduced entry fee to BGC tournaments
    8) A low cost BGC members only tournament to help build comradery and sense of community among members.
    9) Any kind of reciprocal privileges at Cat, Chub, Old Bahama Bay, Blue Water or other clubs.
    Well thats great input... Management is off island... For that matter I'm in Nassau right now but I will forward the proposals that management has on this. Fish and conch cleaning are services not offered by the resort. Stictly private contract between you and the natives.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Yea which is pretty cheap...You can get all your fish cleaned plus conch for $5. Still all great ideas.

**** your a cheap ****:grin

I always pay $20 to have my conch cleaned, clean my own fish
    My personal boats name is Deep C... The :C: is for CHEAP! I do my own conch and fish and they make dew to get the boat wet so I can wash it (with home made soap) then collect the run off so I can wash my clothes! :)
  • Fun stuff, I love Bimini and BGC.
    Wish I could find my wedding pictures from over there, you would not believe who we had a best man and brides maid. We were married by the pool by Reverend Pender
    Official “Bimini Big Game Club Member” Card&Member Number

10% Off all Room rates, Food & Beverage & Dockage at Big Game Club

10% Off of your purchase at the Outfitter shop at Big Game Club

10% Off StarBrite Marine products at select Retailers

10% Off Big Game Club Dive rental equipment

10% Off of Offshore Fishing with Captain Chase

Stay 7 nights at BGC within a 60 day period and receive a Suite Upgrade on next stay

Welcome Arrival Cocktail

Bimini Big Game Club “Member” Decal for your Car or Boat

Your own Bimini Big Game Club “Member”Polo shirt

Free Member Birthday Stay on birth date – nontransferable /allowed only on birth date

Free “Intro to Scuba” Pool Dive Lesson

“Preferred” Dockage at Big Game Club Marina

Free daily Bag of Ice during stay at Big Game Club Marina

Access to “Member Only” events such as the “Member Getaway weekend”

News & Event Email Broadcasts

No “Members Only” jackets allowed!
    Yearly Membership is $400 – Family (2 persons) is $700
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    Cytranic wrote: »
    $5 bill and $15 in budlight! If i'm at seacrest with a huge mystic, Patrick and Michael will fight over who cleans it so they can have the head!

I actually got a smile out of Patrick on the last day of a good trip when I not only offered him a few fish and heads, but the 54 qt Igloo that was still servicable since I had a new one at home! In his super-deep voice, he said "Dat would be very nice, Tank you".
  • Cytranic wrote: »
    Wow....Smiles from Patrick are a rare sight. I have plenty more stores of him yelling at people...haha...I've only seen him smile and laugh once. We told him his golfcart had no breaks and he said "Haha, man whatchu tink dis is, the United States of America?"

Yes but I remember a story of a golf cart that did not look anything like a golf cart when your buddies turned it in!

Take a look by the fence and there may still be a deep freezer with the old .38 Special sticker on it!
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Official “Bimini Big Game Club Member” Card&Member Number

10% Off all Room rates, Food & Beverage & Dockage at Big Game Club

10% Off of your purchase at the Outfitter shop at Big Game Club

10% Off StarBrite Marine products at select Retailers

10% Off Big Game Club Dive rental equipment

10% Off of Offshore Fishing with Captain Chase

Stay 7 nights at BGC within a 60 day period and receive a Suite Upgrade on next stay

Welcome Arrival Cocktail

Bimini Big Game Club “Member” Decal for your Car or Boat

Your own Bimini Big Game Club “Member”Polo shirt

Free Member Birthday Stay on birth date – nontransferable /allowed only on birth date

Free “Intro to Scuba” Pool Dive Lesson

“Preferred” Dockage at Big Game Club Marina

Free daily Bag of Ice during stay at Big Game Club Marina

Access to “Member Only” events such as the “Member Getaway weekend”

News & Event Email Broadcasts

No “Members Only” jackets allowed!
    Yearly Membership is $400 – Family (2 persons) is $700

Compleat,

Just my thought, but you might consider adding a level or two of membership above what you guys are considering; maybe a gold level and corporate level.

Also, I would say the hotel discounts need to be much deeper for the slack periods like March/April and mid/late September up until Thanksgiving. Room rates are probably the the real driver for the resort. This would help entice members to brave some lumpy seas (if need be) to realize a really good deal. Hate to say it, but maybe do a deal with that awful ferry for guys who want to leave their boat for a week or two at the dock to increase marina income.
    We have several other discounting programs at this time. Deep dish discount of $500 a month dock for up to 60 feet even! The rooms came down over a hundred bucks a night since previous management so not a lot of room left to play there... Room tax set by the govt eats us alive on that...
    I do like the gold and corporate ideas though...
  • Reel EscReel Esc Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I think that would be a great idea. Is this something which is official yet or in the works. The discount and preferred dockage would be the most attractive part of it for me - what would be the preferred dockage for members?
    That would be managements call. They do have very appealing dockage programs in place as it is but I don't have that info in front of me. Our stumbling block getting this going is finding a company that can produce personalized member cards at a reasonable price. The machines to do it our selves are prohibitively expensive. The other places can make them in bulk with logo and what not but not personalized for the member. So we are still trying to hunt that down.
  • Carolina flareCarolina flare Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Compleat, check this site out for ID cards. We just used them to make our own company ID badges, (Photo, Logo/graphics, Bar-code, ours even have the HID chip for door access), obviously y'all do not need all that. They were fairly cheap, 10$ each i think, but we had RF-ID chips in ours. You can upload your own graphics, information etc.
    http://www.easyidcard.com/
    Cool! I'll check it out in the morn... Multitasking right now...