Venice Tuna Trip

Is there anybody from this area looking to go to Venice this year? I have been trying to put a couple trips together(this year) and have been coming up empty. I have plenty of friends that want to go and only a handful of those can afford it. So needless to say, I get alot of half hearted committments. The few that can commit have a tough time coordinating schedules due to work. I have got the money to go I just dont want to fund the thing myself. I like to fish 4 per boat. I would like to go soon for 2 days back to back.

If any of yall are looking to go, give me a shout. If I know at least a week in advance I can make it happen.
Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Replies

• ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,665 Captain
    I have that trip on my bucket list. What is the cost to do a trip like that?
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Most are $1100 + fuel and tip

The later in the summer the more fuel you burn. So say typically between 600-800 in fuel. We tip between 200-400. It shakes out to about $500-600 per person @ 4 people per day.

There are cabins over there that are $200 a night. They sleep 6. Split fuel and lodging between here and there.

$1,000 is alot of jack for fishing but its really a drop in the bucket for the experieince.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    We did it w/ Capt Eddie for my bachelor party. He has a 36 contender and honestly... 6 people was not bad. We stayed close the first day, and then ran like 90 miles the second. 6 people in a house boat that slept 7 at the marina (I think $175 / night with a $50 cleaning fee) came to like $380 / person / day.

boat - 1,100 / 6 = $183
    lodging- 225 / 6 = $38
    Fuel (150 gal * $5) / 6 = $125
    Tip (we were generous... I though... and did 20% on boat and fished w/no mate) = $30

Total: $380 per day.

You of course need to take into account fuel to get over there, but thats nothing to bad.

All in all it's a lot less than the family to disney world.

6 people may sound like a lot, and I was really worried about it, but it turned out being no big deal. We'd never done it and we had PLENTY of fish to keep everybody busy (even though it was a bit slow and fish were small and it was rough). Had an absolute ball and enjoyed watching others catch fish as much as doing it yourself.

IMO increasing to 6 (with no deck) was WELL worth the 33% decrease in price per head. No regrets whatsoever on that front.

My next trip will be a weather window in Oct / early Nov (perhaps during the week when nobody is booked) in order to stay close and go after a monster. If you start looking around that time frame give me a shout. I can probably get a group of three together.

EDIT: And to agree with Red Fish... you do that math by 4 folks and you come to $565 / day / person. If you go two days (which we did) 6 people allows you to go twice with each person "only" throwing in an additional $200. Food for thought.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    We did it w/ Capt Eddie for my bachelor party. He has a 36 contender and honestly... 6 people was not bad. We stayed close the first day, and then ran like 90 miles the second. 6 people in a house boat that slept 7 at the marina (I think $175 / night with a $50 cleaning fee) came to like $380 / person / day.

boat - 1,100 / 6 = $183
    lodging- 225 / 6 = $38
    Fuel (150 gal * $5) / 6 = $125
    Tip (we were generous... I though... and did 20% on boat and fished w/no mate) = $30

Total: $380 per day.

You of course need to take into account fuel to get over there, but thats nothing to bad.

All in all it's a lot less than the family to disney world.

6 people may sound like a lot, and I was really worried about it, but it turned out being no big deal. We'd never done it and we had PLENTY of fish to keep everybody busy (even though it was a bit slow and fish were small and it was rough). Had an absolute ball and enjoyed watching others catch fish as much as doing it yourself.

IMO increasing to 6 (with no deck) was WELL worth the 33% decrease in price per head. No regrets whatsoever on that front.

My next trip will be a weather window in Oct / early Nov (perhaps during the week when nobody is booked) in order to stay close and go after a monster. If you start looking around that time frame give me a shout. I can probably get a group of three together.

EDIT: And to agree with Red Fish... you do that math by 4 folks and you come to $565 / day / person. If you go two days (which we did) 6 people allows you to go twice with each person "only" throwing in an additional $200. Food for thought.

The biggest reason I like 4 is because you can have two chunking and two throwing popper/jigs. You can literally fish the entire time except when the uncontrollable bruin decides to make laps around the boat.

I would be more open to 6 if I didn't have such a hard time finding a crew of 4. Hahahahaha