Home Ask the Law!

daily bag limit/possession

onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
I do quite a bit of fishing late at night. If I catch a slot snook at 11pm on 4/9, throw him in the cooler and then catch another slot snook at 1201 am 4/10, can I keep it? If no, can I keep it if I drop the other one off in the truck? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mannn123mannn123 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    No as to the first question b/c there is a possession limit as well. Potentially yes as to the second question. Based on the stance of the FWC in their explanation of possession limits for extended trips, the term "day" is a 24 hr period from midnight to midnight. Therefore, you can theoretically harvest a snook at 11:00pm and another at 12:30am. However, in the snook rule the possession restriction does not state "in, on or above waters of the state". Therefore, having two harvested snook in your truck may be a problem.

Most species not caught off of bridges, piers, shores, etc. have the waters of the state language for the possession limit. Some fish, like redfish for example, also prohibits possession on any dock, pier, bridge, beach, boat ramp, or other fishing site adjacent to such waters, and any parking location adjacent to said fishing sites. Snook just prohibits more than one and says nothing further, which implies having two in your possession on the road is a problem.
  • GreyRiderGreyRider Posts: 61 Deckhand
    68B-21.006 Bag and Possession Limits.
    (1) In the Atlantic Region, no person, firm or corporation shall kill or harvest more than one snook per day during the open season, nor possess more than one snook at any time during the open season.
    (2) In the Gulf Region, no person, firm, or corporation shall kill or harvest more than one snook per day during the open season, nor possess more than one snook at any time during the open season.
    (3) On any vessel licensed to carry customers wherein a fee is paid, either directly or indirectly, for the purpose of taking or attempting to take marine fish, the applicable bag and possession limit specified in this rule shall not extend to the operator of such vessel or any person employed as a crewman of such vessel.
    (4) No person harvesting snook pursuant to subsection (1) shall possess or land such snook in the area specified in subsection (2).
    Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 7-23-85, Amended 3-1-94, 12-31-98, Formerly 46-21.006, Amended 1-1-02, 7-12-07.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-21