Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Publix or Winn Dixie?

I finally did it. I got a job in the Keys, Marathon specifically. It has taken me many years to realize this dream. I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm awake. Now preparing for the big move from Cincinnati. As I still have to fly down and take a polygraph and other tests I have not "announced" anything yet but I have a conditional offer of employment. I want to be able to give my boss here
notice (have a firm date) before anything goes public. I am switching some things in advance and one of them is my "grocery game". It is an online coupon service I have. Every time I have been down Im pretty sure I went mostly to Publix. Which one do you prefer????

Thanks,

Replies

• mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    In Marathon Publix for meat and deli, and bakery, Winn Dixie for everyday stuff

Congrats on the job
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • half shellhalf shell Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    good work on finding a job in the keys!
    I always go to publix when im in KCB
  • GingeryGingery Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Also, recommendations on a bank???? Prefer Local banks but open to ideas.

I have lurked here weekly and you guys have helped ease my keys obsession over the years - even though I still don't know half of what you were talking about as far as fishing goes. I fish here but it is no comparison...might as well be a cane pole. Got my eye on a little rental right in Marathon. I am soooo excited!!! Thanks for all the great stuff. I will keep reading, maybe I could even meet some of you finally. I wanted to meet some of you while I was down vacationing and interviewing a few times but after the Captain of Dave's Dream passed I felt so terrible I decided to stop - even though I only met him once.
    Greatly appreciate any help.
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    i always go to publix if it is an option!
  • gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand
    I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I think that Publix has the best key lime pie in all of Florida. Fortunately I am half a mile from there.
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Deckhand
    We always go to Publix. Way better grocery store.
    Congrats on having a dream come true!
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    In Marathon, we like Publix. Seems cleaner and higher quality.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 836 Officer
    I forgot Marathon even had a Winn Dixie, lol.
    Congrat's!
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    General rule of thumb. Publix is higher but usually a little cleaner.
    Thanks for all the congrats. I had no idea about the Key Lime pie - definately will check that out when I take my first "local" grocery trip! Any tips on this move would be most helpful.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I think that Publix has the best key lime pie in all of Florida. Fortunately I am half a mile from there.

Have you tried the deep fried Key Lime Pie at Burdines yet? I think its OK but the rest of my family goes bonkers over it.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    Publix. I feel the need for a shower if I go inside Winn Dixie in marathon.
    Check out keys federal credit union. Good and easy to work with.
  • stainlessdeathstainlessdeath Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    IMO the marathon publix is a complete horrorshow. if you feel like waiting for a parking spot, having hordes of senior citizens and european tourists stand bewildered in your way, and pay 15-30% more for the same products as winn-dixie, have at it! I can understand how someone with plenty of extra coin can justify shopping somewhere that is "cleaner". but for my money, winn-dixie wins just cause meat and produce is less expensive.
    BOOM!
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,058 Captain
    IMO the marathon publix is a complete horrorshow. if you feel like waiting for a parking spot, having hordes of senior citizens and european tourists stand bewildered in your way, and pay 15-30% more for the same products as winn-dixie, have at it! I can understand how someone with plenty of extra coin can justify shopping somewhere that is "cleaner". but for my money, winn-dixie wins just cause meat and produce is less expensive.

I usually frequent the Winn Dixie as we are on BPK....definitely better pricing compared to Publix but not a big fan of their deli dept. But they are the closest grocery store to our home. Good luck with your move!
  • gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand
    mikeloew wrote: »
    Have you tried the deep fried Key Lime Pie at Burdines yet? I think its OK but the rest of my family goes bonkers over it.

I haven't. It's not really my style. Sounds like a little too much, but I will go there for an occasional Keys Steak. :-)
    I usually frequent the Winn Dixie as we are on BPK....definitely better pricing compared to Publix but not a big fan of their deli dept. But they are the closest grocery store to our home. Good luck with your move!

BPK and Marathon Winn Dixie is night and day different.
  • keewestgrlkeewestgrl Posts: 192 Deckhand
    I do the Grocery Game too. I think Publix has better deals but Winn Dixie gives you money off at Shell gas station. It's a toss-up.
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 718 Officer
    Publix for most shopping.
    Winn Dixie for meat if you can get the butcher off his *** on sale items.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    I once worked for Coca Cola and got to see the behind the scenes at all the grocery stores. Walmarts, Winn Dixie's, and Kash and Karry( Sweet Bay) were really dirty and smelled funny in the back. From bugs in the product to non-identifiable smells, I hated going to them. WD was the worse. Their shelves and store in general never get cleaned. Publix was always clean. I never shop anywhere else for food.
  • aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    I've been to nicer Winn Dixies before. But, when there's a Publix and a Winn Dixie in close proximity to each other, I usually find the Publix is the nicer store.

I think every town in every state has the clean grocery store and the "skeevey" one. :)
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,078 Admiral
    Publix is doing much better than Winn Dixie financially, so they have more money to renovate existing stores or in a lot of cases, demolish and rebuild new stores on the existing property. Winn Dixie...not so much. I do feel that Publix is a lot more expensive in general. Once you are in Marathon, go to both and get a feel for what store is better for certain products and shop accordingly.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Thank you everyone for your info! Do you know if Publix does double coupons? Also, is there any storage facility in Marathon or close by that I might store a few household goods? Thanks again.
    There is a storage at the corner of Sadowski and US1 and a few more around Marathon. They charge premium for them tho. May want to invest in a storage shed.
  • CSGGCSGG Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    For Deli Meat in Marathon, I go to Brutus Seafood or Marathon Deli. Better prices, better selection, better service.

I go to Winn Dixie as they have better prices and I like the Shell gas discount.

Go to Sweet Savannahs for bread. WOW made fresh daily.
  • alex5000alex5000 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    i dont like public,they are a ripofff.i normaly shop at whole sale food clubs, like sams club,costco or martinez distributing..with $300, i fill up my whole car with goods
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Publix does have some good deals...BUT...I don't like when they ask you to purchace a bag of goodies, at thier outrageous prices on some items for supposedly for a good cause////think about it..they cash in while trying to make you feel like you have done somewthing worthwhile in helping someone out, but the bottom line is they make out like fat rats with what is in those bags.
    Capt Bill
  • ziffleziffle Posts: 148 Deckhand
    I have done work for both Publix and Winn Dixie stores in South Florida, based on my experience I always buy food at Publix if I can.