Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Moving to Lower Keys

Looking for some information in regards to moving to the Lower Keys. Need to be between Key West and Big Pine Key. Will be looking to rent a 2 BR house. Would prefer to be on a canal with a dock. Dont want the party seen of downtown Key West everynight, will need somewhat of a residential type area. Would like to be within reasonable distance of a grocery store, gym, and marina. Would like to be somewhere that you can ride a bike or go for a jog after work.

In regards to keeping a boat in the water, how long can you keep it in the water without bottom paint? If you pull it out once a week and clean it will that work?

If anyone has any suggestions/advice please let me know.

Thanks.

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Don't know you family situation but I think you need to al least look at Venture Out on Cudjoe. Been discussed here before & I would be happy to answer any & all questions. Can answer all your above question with a yes. BTW I pull my boat every week 10 day & powerwash the bottom. Did I mention we have a powerwash & quad ramp?
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    After a week or so, you will start to see barnacles.
  • MPetteeMPettee Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Cudjoe/Summerland/Sugarloaf. Gym on Cudjoe is pretty nice. I was a member there for a while. Easy water access. Grocery stores nearby also.
    2001 Pro Line 23 "Pole Dancer"
    2006 Scout 190 Costa - No name yet
  • OCEANFSHOCEANFSH Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    I will be heading down to look at houses and areas this weekend, does anyone have any connections or links to rentals other than craigs list?

Looking primarily at Marathon/Big Pine area.

Thanks for your help.
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Try contacting a realtor. I used Action Keys Realty and was very pleased. http://www.actionkeysrealty.com/
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • DodgemanDodgeman Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Ditto on Action Keys. Christine Rudy goes above and beyond.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    In the Marathon area, give Barbara McKee @ 1-800-583-3888 or 1-305-289-6499 She is with Coldwell Bankers Schmitt Real Estate Co
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • pinfisherpinfisher Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Most of the good long term rental deals are not with a realtor. Check Winn-Dixie and other bulletin boards. Also check with other locals there are some good deals 1/2 to 2/3 what realtors have listed. Mostly down stairs enclosures.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    I've had great luck with Bonnie at Caribbean real estate in Marathon and terrible ones with Florida Keys Rentals in Big Pine. Also I would reccomend bottom paint if you dont get davits. It will get old pulling it out every week...
  • TonyNJTonyNJ Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Kathleen Gomez ( www.islandpals.com ) from Coldwell Banker in Big Pine showed my wife and I literally, 30 - 35 houses in 3 days from Marathon to Big Coppitt. We bought in Marathon but there were a few contenders in Cudjo and Little Torch. Big Coppitt was nice but the Fighter Jet noise is a bit much after awhile. (Though very cool to see)
    TonyNJ

31 Ocean Master

17 Sugar Sand Tango - Sold
    33 Bertram - Sold
    26 Robalo - Sold
    34 Silverton - Sold
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    After a week or so, you will start to see barnacles.

Right on. A little slower in the Winter and quicker in the Summer....but the difference is negligible.
    .......Rick
    After a long search throughout the lower keys from Marathon to Key West I think we found a house we like in key colony beach. Does anyone have any info on living here or advice of good and bad about the area? Seems like the Marathon area offers the most in terms of a "city", for example Publix, Walgreens, etc.... Any thoughts? Have not signed a lease yet but planning to in the next week for a 12 month lease.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    KCB is a great area and community. There are some good restaurants and bars within waking/biking distance from anywhere in the neighborhood, also a nice park and beach. I would recommend getting some bicycles to enjoy the area so you don't have to drive. The KCB police department have nothing else going on and spend most of their time running radar on the main road and they will pull you over for doing 5 mph over the speed limit. It's a very peaceful and quiet area and I've enjoyed many nights falling asleep on the dock watching the stars and tarpon roll in the canals at night. Best of luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are a few forum members that live in KCB that are great people and know their stuff, and I'm sure would show you the ropes over a beer or three.
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 230 Officer
    OCEANFSH wrote: »
    After a long search throughout the lower keys from Marathon to Key West I think we found a house we like in key colony beach. Does anyone have any info on living here or advice of good and bad about the area? Seems like the Marathon area offers the most in terms of a "city", for example Publix, Walgreens, etc.... Any thoughts? Have not signed a lease yet but planning to in the next week for a 12 month lease.

My family has owned homes in Key Largo, Matecumbe, and Key West. I've lived on Sugarloaf, Key Haven and Key West; I'm not totally sure how Marathon offers more than Key West would in terms of a city? Heck, Key West has 1/2 dozen real grocery stores and multiple Walgreens, etc.

I just found that KW had more of a sense of community, maybe it was from being "round" and less "linear living" either east or west down the highway for everything; hard to explain. However, I'd give KW another look before going up the Keys too far.

The best scenario I've seen is a friend that lives near Marathon and keeps a plane at the airport...to fly to KW in a few minutes to go out to eat, hang out, etc...that I could get into. After living on Sugarloaf for almost 2 years, I had my fill of the highway (tourist season, accidents, rain squalls, etc)...but, I was working out of KW so that might be a moot point for you if daily travel isn't in the cards.

Just $.02 from a person that's been scooting around the Keys for most of my life.

Also, if you want a well appointed place in KW that you can see the Atlantic and Gulf from your private rooftop pool...I can likely make you a great deal :wink
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 362 Deckhand
    The house in Key Colony did not work out. Going to start looking in the Summerland/Cudjoe area. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Would like a 3/2 or 2/2 on a canal. Up to a 2 year rental.
  • dive4fooddive4food Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I just moved to Big Pine late last year. We are renting a 2/2 on a canal currently while we take our time and find just the right place to buy. There are several houses around for rent. Great neighborhood. Pretty quiet and great people. Easy access to ocean or backcountry. It is small town for sure. You will quickly meet people and see them out wherever you go. The biggest draw backs are there is only one grocery store, Winn-Dixie. They have most everything you need, but the worse checkouts known to mankind. The other draw back is the lack of shopping. Impossible to find good clothes on this island. But you can go 30-40 minutes either way and you are in KW or Marathon for "big city" shopping. I really like the location here and love how friendly everyone is. PM me if you would like my cell number and chat. Happy to help however I can.