Kudo's to Ameritrail in St Cloud !!

Snook69Snook69 Posts: 128 Deckhand
I pushed my luck with my 8 year old trailer and a badly rusted rear axle to cobia fish out of Port Canaveral only to drive over and get weathered out. Decided to bring my trailer to Ameritrail for the repairs on the ride home not really knowing if the repair would cost me the already screwed up cobia season. Talked with Mark and he said only a few days. They looked pretty **** busy I guessed a week. I decided to just fix everything and told him to replace both axles, replace the brake lines and pads and recarpet the bunks. Two days later he calls and says the trailer is ready!! Now I'm ready for the fish if the weather ever decides to get back to normal. Only the highest regards to those guys at Ameritrail !

Replies

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Makes me feel good about my choice of Ameritrail for my new boat I'll be getting pretty soon.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Exactly!!@# Got my new trailer from them about 1 month ago. They answered all my questions and gave me a tour of the factory.

Finbully, you might want to consider buying some Shark-Hide and having AmeraTrail put it on while they are assemblying the trailer. It will keep the alumnium looking good for years.
  • Snook69Snook69 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Hey SCFD never heard of that coating. My stainless still looks pertty good. I just wash it with soap and water while I'm cleaning the boat. Any advice for keeping my new axles from rusting over time? I see you always respond to trailer threads. I used to coat all my galvinized parts with grease but heard that the salt will cake to the grease and make things worse. Btw I already bring a bug spayer with soapy water to spray my trailer after I launch. Tnx
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    The Shark Hide is good stuff. Its like a clear cote for the metal on the trailer. Its on my Ameratrail.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,324 Officer
    I coated my trailer before it ever hit the water 2 1/2 years ago. When i brought my trailer up to Ameratrail last year Scott the owner was amazed how it looked. Thery offer it as a option now. It's best to apply when new but you can do it after just need to clean and prep it right.
    Here are two pics just taken!
    http://sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html

20130224_120426_zps27cb9125.jpg
    20130224_120413_zpsb42923aa.jpg
    SharkHide is supposed to be good for any metal, even painted and galvanized surfaces. AmeraTrail did mine at the factory and I just did it again. Got under the trailer with a small paint brush and got all those hidden places.
    Hey thanks guys. I would love to put that stuff on before I hit the salt again. I live near Winter Haven but work in the Disney area. Ameritrail's in St. Cloud of course and is a haul for me. Any suggestions to get it closer?
    Just ordered some from there website. Thanks again!!
    Snook69 wrote: »
    Hey thanks guys. I would love to put that stuff on before I hit the salt again. I live near Winter Haven but work in the Disney area. Ameritrail's in St. Cloud of course and is a haul for me. Any suggestions to get it closer?

According to there web-site the closest retailer is not even in the state of Florida. I've ordered from the manufacturer twice and they are pretty quick about shipping.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 488 Deckhand
    You guys have me convinced. I'll order SharkHide and treat my trailer myself. I'm also going to get their cleaner for our pontoon that stays in fresh water.
    finbully wrote: »
    You guys have me convinced. I'll order SharkHide and treat my trailer myself. I'm also going to get their cleaner for our pontoon that stays in fresh water.

Will you post some before and after pics?????
  • Sick DaySick Day Posts: 260 Deckhand
    Mark is the "man" at Ameritrail. Very knowledgeable!
    UPS dropped off the Shark Hide on Friday. I applied it this afternoon and it was very easy. I used a folded cloth as recommened and wiped it on the new axles and torsion bars. A few areas where the axles are bolted to the aluminun frame are hard to get to but 98% of the new metal was coated. I bought the quart size and used very little for two axles. Like I said before my aluminum still looks great and doesn't rust so grab a smaller ammt if you order. Just fyi you definately need a mouth/nose mask as the stuff is super strong chemically. My latex gloves lasted only approx 3 minutes before actually melting! Use with care. I will let ya know if the axles last. Still cheap insurance at $75 including shipping if it works. Tnx again guys.