Home Tropics

Isla Mujeres Advice

Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,918 Admin
Hey guys,

I am heading to Isla Mujeres next month for 5 days and then Cancun for 3 days and I am looking for some fishing advice. What areas can you fish from shore on Isla Mujeres? Looking to pick up a charter from Isla Mujeres on April 11 and then looking for some inshore spots both on the island near Cancun that I can fly fish from shore.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for fly fishing or spin casting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mark
Mark P. Wilson
Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc
Old Bahama Bay (Owner / Board of Directors) 

Replies

• CrackerJackCrackerJack Posts: 38 Deckhand
    The best charter out of Isla Mujeres is Anthony Mendillo on the Keen M but you better book him early or he may not be available. You can reach him at islamujeressportfishing.com. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bluewater35Bluewater35 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I fished with Anthony on board the Keen M last week for a few days. Great guy and captain. We got a lot of Sailfish. Book early beacuse he fills up fast.

Good Luck!:fishing
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 942 Officer
    EZPZ - Fish with Anthony if date is open. Not sure of the beach fishing, but local knowledge shouldn't be a problem once there and the charter operations you contact should give you an excellent heads up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,918 Admin
    Thanks Guys, I am starting to contact these recommended charters for availabilty. I am going to Isla Mujeres for a concert that covers Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun which is why I only have Thursday available for a charter. The rest of the time I will be looking to get a line wet from shore or the bay is possible.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,321 Moderator
    Some places South of Cancun shore based fishing isn't allowed due to it being a turtle sancuary. Bummer because I was seeing a lot of bonefish from the beach.
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    Some places South of Cancun shore based fishing isn't allowed due to it being a turtle sancuary. Bummer because I was seeing a lot of bonefish from the beach.

That figures as I hear that the bonefishing is better in Cancun than Cozumel or Isla Mujeres.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• s2kskibums2kskibum Posts: 229 Officer
    Will you have a car, or do you mind taking a collectivo south a bit? There is great beach fishing south of playa... happy to fill you in...
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    About 8-10 km. north of Cancun, is Isla Blanca, with some of the best miniature flats fishing in the world. Bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook and snapper abound. "Miniature," because the fish are small by Keys standards. Your time of year will be good for everything but the snook ("why," I don't know....I think they'd be somewhere)
    .......Rick
    Getting excited, two days and counting!
    Mark P. Wilson
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc