How heavy is this bass?

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your guys' opinions on how much this fish might have weighed. It was just over 23 inches long. Maybe about 23 1/4.

Replies

• Anonymous 1Anonymous 1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I'm with pupraiser. I'd guess 5-6lb. Looks a little thin. Awesome catch.
  • Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    I agree it looks like its around 5. Nice fish
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    4.. Is that FL?
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
  • asj410asj410 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    She was 4-15. Didn't realize just how skinny she was until I referenced some online weight tables and saw that the typical 23" fish is closer to 7.5 pounds. That's pretty bad! I don't know if that fish is just still carrying its post-spawn body or what, but 2.5 pounds under the norm seems pretty substantial to me.

And no, it's actually not FL. It's northern GA. But I really wanted to get you FL guys' opinions on the weight. You guys are the experts!

I had been waiting a VERY long time to catch a 5-pound largemouth, so this fish was the catch of a lifetime for me (and yes, I did release her). It's just really weird to think that it probably should have been closer to 7 pounds.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    I just be looking at that fish with beer goggles. she looks long (enough) but very very thin. A nice fish either way. I would put her at 4lbs at most (possibly even 3.5lbs). she's under weight but what do I know heck I could be drunk

Tight work nice fish
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    On average:

24" - 8
    23 - 7
    22 - 6
    21 - 5

If they're skinny you can subtract a lb...full of eggs add one.

Most of the ones I've been catching lately are not up to weight. Caught two fish in a tourney last weekend that shoulda gone 7 and 6 but instead they were each a little more than a lb less.
    I still don't know what to think of this catch. It was definitely the bass of a lifetime for me, but knowing that it "only" weighed 4 lb. 15 oz. while the typical 23" largemouth is around 7 to 7.5 lb....I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry...lol. I do recall thinking that the mouth and head on that fish seemed bigger than I would have expected for a 5 lb. fish. Awesome fish though. Hope I can catch an even bigger one sometime down the road!
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    How did you weigh the fish?

Try not to think of the weight but that it was probably an older fish you outsmarted. It's like shooting an old buck with a bad rack.
    I used my Rapala digital scale. I've had it for years, but that was actually the first time I had ever used it on a fish. I think it's fairly accurate though. I weighed a 5-pound weight and a 7-pound weight with it the other day, and they came out to 4-15 and 7-4, respectively.

I do like the idea that I probably outsmarted an older fish, though I don't know how much credit I can take considering that fish was probably starving! She came up and blasted my Spook in 1-2 feet of water and less than 10 feet from where I was standing. Never even knew she was there too.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    easy Killa lol you made a nice catch I fish of a lifetime yours or anyone else life definitely not. You will catch much bigger Bass. Trust me just keep honing your skills an bigger fish will come more an more often.

in time You'll regularly catch 5-6-7lbs an 8's as well
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    If you live in North Georgia scoot on over to Lake Guntersville! Throw a rattle trap and rip it through all that grass in February or March and you will land a toad if you do it enough. That lake is full of monsters.
    VERY tempting, but how would that work from the bank? Unfortunately, I don't have any access to a boat. Oh, and is this the lake up in the NW corner of Georgia?
  • ThumpThump Posts: 189 Deckhand
    You are thinking about Weiss. Guntersville is in the Northeast Corner of AL. Weiss supposedly has some nice fish in it as well. I just have not personally fished it. To be honest, I am not sure where on either lake would be good to fish from shore. A lot of the productive grass beds on Guntersville are in 10 ft. of water (give or take some). However, when those fish move up to spawn you can throw the trap from the bank or throw a weedless frog. If you do it, only look for green grass. If your hooks come back with dead yellowish looking grass go somewhere else. Oh and prepare to get your arm broke...
    Lol....I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

Just happened to catch this 4 lb. 7 oz. fish this morning. This last week has been very good to me :Rockon
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    These were caught during spawning season full of roe, im guessing 5.5 or so. My digital scale is 4oz pessimistic (weights adjusted for pictures)

23in 7lb 4oz
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1874&d=1309811129

22.5in 6lb 1 oz
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1873&d=1309811129
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1872&d=1309811129
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • BmillerBmiller Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Looks like the fish in the last pic swallowed a football!
  • FlaDawgFlaDawg Posts: 137 Officer
    Weight formula,it's pretty close to.....Length x length x girth divided by 1200 = weight
    I hunt and fish....Therefore,...I Lie...
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral
    FlaDawg wrote: »
    Weight formula,it's pretty close to.....Length x length x girth divided by 1200 = weight

this ^

get one of those cloth tape measures like they use sewing.
  • lakedouglasdawglakedouglasdawg Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Do you catch alot of bowfin in that lake? My home lake I catch 1 bowfin for every two bass, and the bowfin are huge 5-6 pounds per , and the majority of the bass I catch are substantially skinny. I caught a bass a month ago that was 25 inches long and 5 lbs. I have seen a bowfin chase away a bass in shallow water and have caught a bunch of bass with fins chopped up from the bowfin chomping on them. Frikkin menace of a species!!
    Do you catch alot of bowfin in that lake? My home lake I catch 1 bowfin for every two bass, and the bowfin are huge 5-6 pounds per , and the majority of the bass I catch are substantially skinny. I caught a bass a month ago that was 25 inches long and 5 lbs. I have seen a bowfin chase away a bass in shallow water and have caught a bunch of bass with fins chopped up from the bowfin chomping on them. Frikkin menace of a species!!

Me? Nope. No bowfin in that lake. It's very odd how skinny the bass seem to be in that lake. I've heard from a couple of other people that the bass they caught out of there were also pretty skinny. The only other species that I know of in that lake are crappie, a few varieties of sunfish, and a couple types of catfish. I wonder if the forage is just really scarce in that water. But man, a bass at 25 inches and 5 pounds is SUPER skinny!
  • Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Man it slammed that lure. Leave the lure in and you got 5 lbs?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,403 Admiral

Your catching that many mudfish ? I hope your leaving the mudfish on the bank ,well away from the water so they don't flop back in ?
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,543 Captain
    johnD wrote: »
    Your catching that many mudfish ? I hope your leaving the mudfish on the bank ,well away from the water so they don't flop back in ?

Amen !!!!
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    3-4. All head and thin body. Geeez, kind of like me i suppose, so i'd say great catch!