Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

I think I caught a virus while red fishing.........

So I got into the fish pretty dang good on Saturday. I caught redfish after redfish. I caught most of them on DOA's and gold spoons. The no see ums were pretty bad but I didn't pay much attention because I always wear pants, long sleeve shirt, buff, hat, and glasses. So my hands and a small portion of my face were all that were exposed. I didn't realize but I was getting eaten alive by no see ums.

This is what my hands looked like......
20130330_113104_zps4ac61856.jpg
It looks like I have smallpox or something. It actually went away later that evening.

I took a few pictures of a few reds.
20130330_081753_zps0082a276.jpg

20130330_090318_zps58b3f9d7.jpg

20130330_090326_zps83fd27b0.jpg

20130330_102433_zps783e9c20.jpg

I made a quick trip before church on Sunday to try out some new gloves I bought and this stuff called cactus juice. The folks at Howell turned me on to it. It's awesome. Not a single no see um this morning. Gloves were actually not bad either. Reds were right were I left them.

20130331_064015_zps5e2277ea.jpg

Caught a half dozen or so and was back at the dock by 8 am. Loaded up and to church by 9am.

Great weekend!

He is risen!
Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,322 Moderator
    Nice job! How many reds did you catch yesterday?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Sounds like a good weekend of fishing.

Your hand looks aweful! What exactly are "no see ums"? I've heard folks talk about them but don't really know what they are?

Livin' the Dream !
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    sweet... that one is a beast for a flats fish... I assume you were on the creeks of flats if you were getting eaten by the noseeums
    :fishing:grin
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 802 Officer
    Nicely done RF, You made a reply on a post last year about going fishing on my boat. I will be in PC starting June 1st- 15th fishing hard i might have some open spots if you are still interested let me know.
    Sting
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    One could go a lot of places with an intro like that... Nice fish Red. I guess you were just blind fishing with the DOA, but did you notice a lot of nervous water on the flats? Any tailing fish?
    LilOrange wrote: »
    What exactly are "no see ums"? I've heard folks talk about them but don't really know what they are?

Noseeums are biting midges - it's a super small flying insect that has already bitten you once you notice it. Once more, their bite is barely detectible until later when - well look at his hand. Read all you care to here. Only the females bite - go figure...
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    stingwray wrote: »
    Nicely done RF, You made a reply on a post last year about going fishing on my boat. I will be in PC starting June 1st- 15th fishing hard i might have some open spots if you are still interested let me know.
    Sting

I'm all about it! Shoot me a pm!
    tan man wrote: »
    .. Nice fish Red. I guess you were just blind fishing with the DOA, but did you notice a lot of nervous water on the flats? Any tailing fish?..

Most of the fish I caught were actually caught sight fishing. They were schooling in large groups. I did see a few tailers but most were just pushing wake.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I can't see the pics on the work compooter but I have an idea of how bad your hands look. My girlfriend... er fiance' i guess I can start calling her now... gets welts/hives/small pox/hiv from noseeums that lasts weeks. It's horrible looking!
    Sebastian Inlet boat ramp is the worst! I have to hose her down with deet to keep her semi safe.
    Signature
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Well done on the reds!

LilOrange wrote: »
    Sounds like a good weekend of fishing.

Your hand looks aweful! What exactly are "no see ums"? I've heard folks talk about them but don't really know what they are?

No see ums are like flying, biting chiggers......spend some more time in Florida and you will gain first hand knowledge. :)
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    tan man wrote: »
    Noseeums are biting midges - it's a super small flying insect that has already bitten you once you notice it. Once more, their bite is barely detectible until later when - well look at his hand. Read all you care to here. Only the females bite - go figure...

Interesting......thanks for the info.
    Beck wrote: »
    No see ums are like flying, biting chiggers......spend some more time in Florida and you will gain first hand knowledge. :)

Although I wish I could spend a ton more time in Florida.......based on the looks of his hand, I'll say a big no thanks to gaining first hand knowledge of those little critters!!:)

Livin' the Dream !
  • OneMorCastOneMorCast Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Great Reds, we are moving back to the area after being away for 30years, bought a place off Mullat bayou in Milton, will be going after reds as soon as the Boat is unpacked. can't wait to get in the bay, no-se-ums and all, any general areas, tips and baits would be appreciated.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    OneMorCast wrote: »
    Great Reds, we are moving back to the area after being away for 30years, bought a place off Mullat bayou in Milton, will be going after reds as soon as the Boat is unpacked. can't wait to get in the bay, no-se-ums and all, any general areas, tips and baits would be appreciated.

Welcome back and welcome aboard!

I'll have a beer!