Boat not getting power to console

Spearin_fool93Spearin_fool93 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
hey guys,

Im looking at buying a 23ft center console but the guy is saying that the only problem with the boat is that it doesnt get power to the console. Its a 1991 23ft chris craft center console, so if any has any idea on why that would be happening it would be greatly appreciated!!

:shrug:shrug:shrug:shrug:shrug:shrug:shrug

Replies

• ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Could be many things. Bad battery switch. Bad main breaker or fuse if it has one. Is the engine getting power/cranking over? Any other accessories getting power?
    How many batteries does the boat have?
  • Spearin_fool93Spearin_fool93 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    That was i was thinking it could be too, and im not sure about those questions cause i havent looked at the boat yet, but when i look at it. i will then add all that info
    I'd be leery if I was you. Worse case scenario, plan on completely re-wiring the boat if you go with it as is. Factor that into the price you might pay....
    yaa i know, im probably going to bring a good battery with me and see if i can possibly narrow it down and trouble shoot
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Sounds like the seller really knows his stuff!

I'd be more worried about what ELSE might be wrong with boat / motor than this particular wiring issue.

Good luck.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Power to the console as in the key switch or accessories?
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    i honestly dont yet @capt tater, I just found the boat the other day and am going to look at it this week, and ill be able to figure all that out this week
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    2 completely different situations then. If it's accessories there should be a wire going from the battery to the accessories area via a battery switch. If not it should. If it's the key it could be as easy as a fuse or key switch, wiring harness, bad ground etc.
    Probably not a big deal either way if you are handy.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    alright, when i look at the boat and troubleshoot some stuff, i will post again and see what you guys think
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Unless your getting it for DIRT cheap I would recommend you stay far away from it.
    What your asking is kind of like someone say "my boat don't go. Whats wrong?" There are numerous possibilities.

And judging by you coming here and asking, I'm going with you don't have a lot of experience with the mechanics (or electrics) of a boat. If you want a project/money pit then go for it. (although aren't boats just money pits anyways? :huh)

Or tell HIM to fix it and you'd be interested.

I have had a couple buddies who have bought boats that weren't running, even though I said to stay away from them, and going on what the previous owner said was wrong with the boat they bought parts. Yup, you guessed it. The new parts didn't fix it! After that they asked me to fix it and it there ended up being more wrong than "just a power pack."
    Signature
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,349 Moderator
    "Caveat Emptor"

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Alright guys, i got some more news on the boat......

He is saying that when the batteries are fully charged that nothing will turn on, such as switches,lights,bilges, or motors.....He is thinking that there has to be in a short in the console or the charging unit itself....

So anymore ideas on the problem? cause this one has me stumped.....
    i have the basic idea of electrics on a boat, but this one has got me stumped cause there could be so many things......
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    "fully charged batteries... something wrong with charging unit." What ever the 'charging unit' is it shouldn't cause the no voltage at the console.

But the issue dows sound like it may be the evaperative hematoma switch. Check for voltage there.
    Signature
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    I fish on a 32' Intrepid beautiful rig by far but she is now older. the last trip we were on one of the ladies needed to use the head and not only did that quit ( lucky for us after it was used..) but we lost the fresh water pump also.. so I got my bag of tricks out and the best tool you have is a good battery tester. we replaced the head motor first because after 8-10 years they get kinda rusty and the owners are kinda picky about keeping her up. we still did not have power so we checked the wiring all the way back to the breaker.. no power.. checked it all the way back to the main buss terminals.. no power.. wiggled the power feed from the battery switch to the feed .. fresh water pump came on.. we found the short power feed to the main breaker was not making contact anymore. to make sure this did not happen again we crimped on new ends on every cable feed there was just due to the age of the vessel and the fact of low power ruins more equipment than anything.. ps: Intrepids wiring is very good in the first place so tracing problems down is a lot easier! I have found perfectly good looking wire before that had a pin hole in the sheath that would corrode the wire underneath before so start checking everything.. replace when you need to. start checking and run new wire if your in doubt.. amazing what a wire brush and some fine sand paper can do..
    Evaperatie hematoma switch? Really? What is that?
    So your thinking maybe coorroded wiring or something lose? Cause he said has sat for a year
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Evaperatie hematoma switch? Really? What is that?

I think he's just messing w/you...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    So your thinking maybe corroded wiring or something lose? Cause he said has sat for a year
    The simplest & most common of all marine electrical problems... (other than maybe a dead battery)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Unless you know this guy, he probably knows exactly what the problem is, how much and what's involved to fix it, and he doesnt want to pay/deal with it.
    He's probably hoping you'll think its a minor problem and take the boat off his hands, hoping he'll get some decent money for it, and then the problem isnt his any more.
    I could be and hope I'm wrong, but I bet I'm not.

How much does he want for it?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 942 Officer
    Unless you know this guy, he probably knows exactly what the problem is, how much and what's involved to fix it, and he doesnt want to pay/deal with it.
    He's probably hoping you'll think its a minor problem and take the boat off his hands, hoping he'll get some decent money for it, and then the problem isnt his any more.
    I could be and hope I'm wrong, but I bet I'm not.

How much does he want for it?

I pretty much agree. Get a meter (inexpensive will do) and follow the voltage, start at the battery, then main shut off switch, console distribution block, etc until you locate where the voltage stops.

It would have been easy enough to disconnect the wire to the console at the shut off switch in order to sell it without a sea trial. If it was not repaired and sat for a year because of that, it most likely isn't a cheap or easy repair. Also check for a rotten core in the transom. I just restored a 84 Chris Craft and knew mine was bad. Got it super cheap as a project boat because of that. Lots of work, but it turned out nicely.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Run Run Run! Why even consider this headache? There are plenty of boats that at least work that are for sale. Start with one that operates and then start minor repairs....Least you know it operates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
    Well he says the boat runs, but I do know wht you guys are saying, I'm probably going to just wait and see what else comes around......thanks again for all the help