Home Evinrude

Power not translating to the prop

Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 427 Deckhand
My Evinrude can't get me past 2500 RPMs. It had been fine. Last 2 outings, I can only move up to 2400, 2500 RPMS then stalemate. I advance the throttle forward, I hear the engine wanting to move, revving, but the prop doesn't seem to move. Can't get on plane. I thought it might be prop related. I had it rehubbed and reconditioned as it hadn't been serviced in a few years and thought it could use it. Even after the re-hub, same thing. No warning lights, no alarms, no excessive shaking or weird noises. It simply wants to go, but can't. Seems like power is not reaching the hub. I did back into a post accidentally, and the prop did make contact and took the impact. Maybe I affected drive shaft possibly?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2001 135hp V6 Ficht
German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.

Replies

• screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    If it was the prop or hub the engine would rev no problem... or even WAYYYYY too high (think rev limiter).

Fichts aren't known for their extreme reliability. Check spark, compression and fuel filters.
    Signature
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand
    There could be a number of things that could be the culprit. If it is engine related, it would be best to have a trained FICHT mechanic look at your motor.

If you think it is prop related, then try a new prop first.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 427 Deckhand
    At dealership now for a couple days, waiting for the word. Not mechanically inclined, just wanted to find out what the scenarios could be so I won't be taken blindly. The dealer thought it might have been prop related too, gave me a demo prop to try and no better. Hope it's not serious.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Every time my Ficht had issues it was the computer... but I don't recall mine ever doing what yours is doing...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    If there is a major problem sensed by the engine computer (EMM) including an overheat condition, the engine is limited to about 2500 rpm and will not rev any higher so it will protect itself, yet give you steerageway in case you are in a precarious position.

You may have the SystemCheck gauge not giving you the warning lights.

--- Travis McGee

• Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 427 Deckhand
    Well, I brought the boat back home today. 2 weeks at the dealership and they have no idea when they can get to it.

I have taken the above suggestions, same result, appears to be stuck in S.L.O.W. mode?

1. Water pump, spark plugs, fuel filters, lower unit oil all done this past Jan.
    2. Tried a demo prop from the dealer, no better.
    3. I had my prop of 7 years rehubbed and reconditioned a month ago, thinking the hub could be the reason.
    4. I hooked up my laptop to it and diagnostic program showed no codes stored.
    5. Diagnostic program ran fuel pump and oil injector tests without incident.
    6. Disconnected battery leads for a couple hours, then reconnected... no change.
    7. System check gauge and lights does its test upon turning the key and goes through its motions as it always has and appears fine.
    8. Water pees out fine.

Any other suggestions other than possible EMM issue. My Clymer manual says the diode(s) in the wiring harness may be the culprit. That's probably my next direction. Bill, have you come across these diodes as the culprits in your experience? Appreciate everyone's contributions. Thanks in advance.
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    What is your battery voltage when the engine is reved up?
    Oil level?
    Fuel pressure?
    When you hook up the computer, advance the throttleand make suire the TPS% is rising/falling correctly.
    Neutral Safety switch?
    Signature
    To start with, the basic troubleshooting steps have to be taken first or all you will be doing is guessing or parts changing -- compression, spark output, TPS operation, laptop and Evinrude Diagnostics, and fuel rail pressure monitoring.

--- Travis McGee