Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

I have Fri, Sat, and Sunday off... Should I drive 4.5hrs over for Cobia??

I'm in Jax. and looking to do some Cobia fishing. Wind is going to blow out of the north all week and Cape Canaveral was my first choice but that looks like a no go. Always heard great things about Panama Beach..

Thanks, Slug-O
USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,331 Moderator
    It could bust open this weekend, but I'd be more inclined to shoot for the following weekend. Water still a bit on the cool side. Not only that, but it was so warm all winter a lot of bait never even left. I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I get the feeling it's going to be another lame year.

I'm going to try on Saturday sand I'll let you know what we see.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Y'all keep us posted
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Thanks for the information..
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,331 Moderator
    Flip side of what I said is as follows: Wind is going to be offshore through about Thur and then star coming S and SE at like 7mph, which is prett much ideal to push those cobes on the water. Sunday is supposed to get kind of stormy. Point being atmoshpere conditions this weekened (Sat in particular) look to be ideal. Problem is water temp and water clairty.

Those two could be better (temp perfect and clairty better) by next weekend, but next weekend could be nasty atmoshperher wise.

One of my best years in recent memory was 3 years ago. Caught my first fish on April 4 or 5th and we caught them the next weekend (like 20 or so of them) and every other weekended for almost a month.... SO you've got time.

Personally, I'd opt to stay put this weekend and then watch the conditions for the next three weeks and then haul butt when it gets right. Keep in mind the water here is like 62 right now and the air is getting down to 36 tonight, and we had a high of 55. It's going to gradually warm through the weekend... I love this, but the water is a bit cold, that's all....

Of course it could bust loose like crazy.

No telling....
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"