Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lower Keys Gulf Wrecks/Tarpon 3-23-13

With a 10knt wind out of the S increasing to 15 out of the SE we decided to take advantage of it and head out to some wrecks out back. The first spot we showed up on we arrived less than 5 minutes before another boat. They had just made the run from marathon and I told them no worries and to come fish with us. We fished for about 30 minutes and with no sign of cobia we decided to pick up and move. We moved over a few miles and hit another wreck. Again, minutes before another boat showed up. They were in search of Permit and we were looking to anchor, so it worked out well. We set up off the structure and they did some drifts over it and then anchored up next to us. We didn't have any cobia rise, and only caught one on the bottom. It was 36" and super skinny. I boga'd him just to be safe. The other boat didn't see any cobia or permit while we were out there, but we left before they did. Lot's of other odd life out there though, from a breaching manta ray to a baby hammerhead. Lot's of turtles, but no followers. We still caught plenty of snappers of good size and one giant nurse shark. I've been tarpon fishing a few times at night and the fish have been co-operative still. Lot's of fun on light tackle.Seeing plenty of schools moving through the backcountry as well. Tight lines.

Replies