Home Tropics

Bahamas Advice

SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
Hoping to get some opinions here. I am heading down in two weeks for spring break with the wife and kids and will be staying on the boat. If the weather looks favorable I'd like to do a quick trip to the islands. If all goes right I'd leave Lake Worth Monday morning and head back over to FL Thursday morning. My wife has been to West End and Bimini and my 14 year old has been to West End. This would be my 10 year old and 12 year old's first trip over but they all a lot of experience on the water. I'd envision a little bit of hanging around and beach/snorkel time but the majority of the day would probably be spent fishing. We are learning the reef fishing and I have a pretty good handle on catching wahoo, dolphin, tuna, etc. I am geared up for giving marlin a shot and it is definitely on my bucket list but I have never hooked one yet.

My thoughts are West End (easy), Bimini (second easiest), Grand Cay and stay at Rosies, or Freeport/Lucaya. Any ideas for such a trip? I saw somewhere that guys are still getting wahoo.. Are the tuna around yet? Marlin?

I have also seen people say Grand Cay isn't a place for the wife and kids but I have seen other threads where people say they love it there?

Thanks for the help!
2003 Viking 45C

Replies

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    If the kids want to ride a big banana float behind a boat and feel like that are at a Disney place, go to Lucaya. Rosie's is a bit rustic and there's not a lot of non-boat/fish things for the kids to do but it's a great fishing destination. Do a Search in this ection on Rosie's/Grand Cay.

West End/OBB is great for fishing, families, relaxing, skin diving, etc.

Bimini is no longer as quaint and fun as it used to be with the Angler burnt down, no more Chalk's landing in the harbour, the late night-life getting a bit rowdy, but there is still plenty of things to keep a family happy and busy.

Your biggest "problem" will be trying to make TWO crossings of the Stream in about the windiest part of the year. If you are on a strict timetable, you could easily get caught on the other side with literally weeks of un-crossable seas.......... depending on your boat of course.

You might want to focus on Florida boating plans, but with a firm idea of where you might want to go if the weather really lays down once you get here. Keep in mind, that the closer to your Florida port, the more chances that you'll have to make a quick crossing...........

Here's this week's S/Fla----> Bahamas forecast:

Tuesday

South winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet with occasional seas up to 6 feet. Dominant period 14 seconds. North northeast swell 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tuesday Night

Along the coast...west southwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming west northwest 10 to 15 knots. In the Gulf Stream...southwest winds 9 to 14 knots becoming west northwest 13 to 18 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas up to 5 feet. Dominant period 14 seconds. Northeast swell 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Chance of showers.

Wednesday

North winds 14 to 19 knots along the coast to north 18 to 23 knots in the Gulf Stream. Seas 3 to 5 feet with occasional seas up to 6 feet along the coast and up to 5 to 7 feet with occasional seas up to 9 feet in the Gulf Stream. Dominant period 10 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Wednesday Night Through Thursday Night

North northeast winds 18 to 23 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet along the coast and up to 5 to 7 feet with occasional seas up to 9 feet in the Gulf Stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Friday

Northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet subsiding to 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas up to 5 feet in the afternoon. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Thanks Gary. That is exactly what I am doing. We have no problem staying in FL but if the weather looks good there isn't a better place to be than across the stream! Last time I crossed in my boat we just pulled lures into 4-5's with occasionals knowing the window was opening. Mainly looking for info on early April fishing and where the best bets would lie. Also I have never been to Grand or Lucaya so not sure what to expect having the family with.
    2003 Viking 45C
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    i would go to west end in part bc it is closer to you. there is a long thread by a guy named paul boat who spent a couple of weeks there. he has a few kids albeit younger than yours and found plenty to do, including fishing, snorkeling, good eating and kids stuff.

look it up.

• Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    As much as I feel obligated to pitch Lucaya, I would give it a miss during Spring Break. The hotels have gotten pretty aggressive in catering to this crowd of kids bent on having a good time without the fear of getting busted for under-age drinking.

Have a look at Great Harbour Cay in the Northern Berrys; it's where we go to get away. It's old Bahamas with what I think are the best beaches anywhere. You can rent a 2br condo for around 175 with a slip at your doorstep. I have to say some of the condos are a bit threadbare, but serviceable with all the amenities. I'd guess it's about the same distance as Grand from LWI. You can check in at GHC, but a better idea would be to check in at Lucaya as you are sure to hit a weedline or two and most likely you would run into some tuna late in the afternoon under the birds. If the wahoo haven't moved off, the area around Little Stirrup Cay are the most productive in the NWP Channel. If you want any info, let me know.
    Hmmm. Marlin peaking in the next two weeks huh? That sure makes Bimini a tempting target. Hadn't thought about Great Harbor either. Condos aren't an issue since we stay on the boat. Isn't great harbor on the inside? It looks like it would be a bit of an undertaking to get out into deep water for fishing?

Any thoughts on how kid and wife friendly Grand is? A tempting thing about Grand is the ability to stay a night at OBB on one leg or the other and trolling the edge between the two.
    2003 Viking 45C
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Slipkid wrote: »
    Hmmm. Marlin peaking in the next two weeks huh? That sure makes Bimini a tempting target. Hadn't thought about Great Harbor either. Condos aren't an issue since we stay on the boat. Isn't great harbor on the inside? It looks like it would be a bit of an undertaking to get out into deep water for fishing?

Any thoughts on how kid and wife friendly Grand is? A tempting thing about Grand is the ability to stay a night at OBB on one leg or the other and trolling the edge between the two.

On GHC, it is a pain getting from Bullocks Harbour to blue water, but once you're off the bank you are close to the action, especially close to wahoo. If you have a tender you can anchor just East of the airport which is pretty well protected with the exception of a NE blow.
    My dinghy hasn't followed the boat down from Lake Superior yet. Originally planned on sending the boat back north after the winter. Ummm, that's not happening any more. Boat stays in FL! Dinghy will be hauled down by car in June.
    2003 Viking 45C
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Bimini is undergoing some nice changes... Beach is nice, fishing is pretty good, watersports franchise at big game has kayaks, paddleboards etc... Compleat angler is gone but big game about to open a new waterside place with island flavor. Ice cream truck comes by once in a while and an icecream vendor across the street. Nice pool, clean rooms...
    Tail end of the wahoo are still here and my guess is I'll punch the ticket on a blue if I can get out this weekend.
    Was hoping you'd chime in Compleat; Ice cream vendor is a huge draw for the kids, Thanks! If I tell them they will make the decision based solely on that. Imagine the cost per cone on that trip!!! Lake worth - bimini- lauderdale - back to lake worth might be a nice plan...
    2003 Viking 45C
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    I always troll home from here to Lake worth inlet and save the fuel... There are times I have wanted to go Lake Worth to lauderdale then come slow across to avoid fighting the stream but always wind up changing course and coming straight across...