Red snapper massacre on the rigs

2»

Replies

  • Capt BloodCapt Blood Posts: 184 Officer
    rocketman1 wrote: »
    We are all entitled to think what we wish on any given subject. Consider the facts and then decide what you think is right. And if it is 'right' in your mind then play out your hand in every aspect of what you do ... and see where that takes you.
    rocketman1 wrote: »
    We are temporary stewards of Earth's resources and in my mind, while supporting our fellow man, should engage in activities that yes, utilizes those resources (we eat,and need shelter, right?) and also respects the resources.

    True Dat brother...my only request is...call it what it is...
    "...forced to become a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice by the government leaders who have forsaken him..." -Rafael Sabatini-
  • okieokie Posts: 37 Deckhand
    nu 1 we know who your in bed with. just sicking are you american//
  • Capt BloodCapt Blood Posts: 184 Officer
    okie wrote: »
    nu 1 we know who your in bed with. just sicking are you american//

    "What the **** are you talking about?" 1:11 of vid...
    "...forced to become a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice by the government leaders who have forsaken him..." -Rafael Sabatini-
  • okieokie Posts: 37 Deckhand
    blood keep up the good work for the rec fishermen.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,311 Admiral
    okie wrote: »
    nu 1 we know who your in bed with. just sicking are you american//
    You know nothing, and you can't spell worth a flip either...
    Now be a good boy and scurry back into your trailer fore you catch a cold.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    After reading this thread and posts,
    A couple of questions,
    1, Why were there so many snapper being caught here in the northern gulf in the days before artificial reefs? I'm not quit old enough to have done it but the old snapper boats would run south and s west out of here (Panama City) and start dropping a lead line with a bar of octagon soap on the end and when they hit shell they would start fishing and haul in tons of snapper. Plus (and I have witnessed it) see a snapper rally where the water would turn red with all the fish near the surface.

    2, If they are so concerned with not damaging the coral, what will happen when the rig collapses on it's own??

    3, From personal experiance, fish killed from a explosion are no good to eat, the shock wave turns the meat to mush.

    just askin.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,837 Captain
    Agenda 21 - make people so dependent on the government, they beg for more regulations!
    It's not about fish, it's about control.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

    CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • Capt BloodCapt Blood Posts: 184 Officer
    mustang190 wrote: »
    After reading this thread and posts,
    A couple of questions,
    1, Why were there so many snapper being caught here in the northern gulf in the days before artificial reefs? I'm not quit old enough to have done it but the old snapper boats would run south and s west out of here (Panama City) and start dropping a lead line with a bar of octagon soap on the end and when they hit shell they would start fishing and haul in tons of snapper. Plus (and I have witnessed it) see a snapper rally where the water would turn red with all the fish near the surface.

    2, If they are so concerned with not damaging the coral, what will happen when the rig collapses on it's own??

    3, From personal experiance, fish killed from a explosion are no good to eat, the shock wave turns the meat to mush.

    just askin.

    Good questions, I'm sure Tom (who traffics rocks for wannabe fishermen - those jonesin for snappa fixes, yet too lazy to find em on there own) will have some enviro conspiracy theory to explain it.
    "...forced to become a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice by the government leaders who have forsaken him..." -Rafael Sabatini-
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Agenda 21 - make people so dependent on the government, they beg for more regulations!
    It's not about fish, it's about control.

    Exactly!
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 350 Deckhand
    All the evidence shows that laying the rigs down on their side (too deep for boats to hit) is viable. Sure, the organisms that thrive up in the photic zone (near the surface) may die and be replaced by organisms which thrive further down after the transition, but a recent LSU thesis (Courtney Saari) and SEDAR reports show that red snapper inhabiting toppled oil platforms grow faster than red snapper inhabiting natural bottom.

    The explosive removal of platforms does not just kill the snapper, it also kills a lot of the other organisms in the area and is a significantly negative ecological event in many ways. Anglers and the environment should not be suffering losses to save the oil companies a few bucks for removal. The platforms can be toppled with cost effective methods that are not harmful to the environment and snapper population.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,652 AG
    MathGeek wrote: »
    All the evidence shows that laying the rigs down on their side (too deep for boats to hit) is viable. Sure, the organisms that thrive up in the photic zone (near the surface) may die and be replaced by organisms which thrive further down after the transition, but a recent LSU thesis (Courtney Saari) and SEDAR reports show that red snapper inhabiting toppled oil platforms grow faster than red snapper inhabiting natural bottom.

    The explosive removal of platforms does not just kill the snapper, it also kills a lot of the other organisms in the area and is a significantly negative ecological event in many ways. Anglers and the environment should not be suffering losses to save the oil companies a few bucks for removal. The platforms can be toppled with cost effective methods that are not harmful to the environment and snapper population.


    I believe that is the whole thing in a nut shell.
    They lobbied, bribed, coerced, whatever whoever it took to do things on the cheap.
    Screw the Environment, eco system and anything else that would cost them money.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 350 Deckhand
    I believe that is the whole thing in a nut shell.
    They lobbied, bribed, coerced, whatever whoever it took to do things on the cheap.
    Screw the Environment, eco system and anything else that would cost them money.

    I'm not sure I would ascribe such malicious motives and devious methods to the petroleum industry to maintain the status quo of blast removals. Perhaps it is simply a matter of a company pursuing the most cost effective removal method because the government has not yet recognized the environmental consequences and moved strongly to require change. I think the NOAA and federal fisheries management needs to grow a pair and put the hammer down. Why not issue some citations and fines for all the red snapper killed in the last blast removal?
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,652 AG
    Come on, they had to know.
    I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line someone said............wait a minute, this is gonna do some serious damage.
    Call me a tin foil hat wearing paranoid if you want but I'll never be convinced they didn't know.
    As with most things, it's all about the money.
    Just my .02
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • ACME Ventures FishingACME Ventures Fishing Posts: 851 Officer
    MathGeek wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would ascribe such malicious motives and devious methods to the petroleum industry to maintain the status quo of blast removals. Perhaps it is simply a matter of a company pursuing the most cost effective removal method because the government has not yet recognized the environmental consequences and moved strongly to require change. I think the NOAA and federal fisheries management needs to grow a pair and put the hammer down. Why not issue some citations and fines for all the red snapper killed in the last blast removal?

    Seems NOAA is already on the scene. Does'nt NOAA hire the observers on site for each blast to monitor Marine Mammals around the rigs, right before and through the blast?
    The Oil Companies are trying to do it on the cheap. Guessing they take bids with the lowest bidder getting salvage rights to the steel, and as such they are really not too
    interested in leaving it on the seafloor as marine Habitat. Look how long ago the Gulf Council wrote letters about the destruction from these removals, that was back in 2009!
  • okieokie Posts: 37 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    You know nothing, and you can't spell worth a flip either...
    Now be a good boy and scurry back into your trailer fore you catch a cold.

    not bad so tell me your riecpe for the fishing industry. bal bal east trialer park boy.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,311 Admiral
    okie wrote: »
    not bad so tell me your riecpe for the fishing industry. bal bal east trialer park boy.
    What is a riecpe? Put your teeth in before you talk boy.

    Or put the PBR down before you type.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Seems NOAA is already on the scene. Does'nt NOAA hire the observers on site for each blast to monitor Marine Mammals around the rigs, right before and through the blast?
    The Oil Companies are trying to do it on the cheap. Guessing they take bids with the lowest bidder getting salvage rights to the steel, and as such they are really not too
    interested in leaving it on the seafloor as marine Habitat. Look how long ago the Gulf Council wrote letters about the destruction from these removals, that was back in 2009!

    Be glad NOAA wasn't around back when those German U boats were making reefs!!:wink
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 350 Deckhand
    One wonders what, if any, steps are taken to reduce the mortality of fish and the local invertebrates. It is known that using shaped charges can reduce the amount of explosive needed, thus reducing the lethal radius on a given species. It is also known that a bubble curtain can significantly reduce the blast pressure and blast impulse transmitted to the outside of the curtain, thus limiting mortality outside the bubble curtain.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    When they took down the two navy stages off shore here back in the early 90's they used Det Cord.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • okieokie Posts: 37 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    What is a riecpe? Put your teeth in before you talk boy.

    Or put the PBR down before you type.

    what you dont like pabst blue ribbon. your alot fun okie
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,311 Admiral
    k.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.