Lobster Limit Question

Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 CaptainPosts: 4,845 Captain
During mini-season the National Park Service passed out some lobster gauges at Homestead Bayfront Park. On those gauges they said that each person was supposed to only catch his or her limit.

I am wondering that if one person chases a lobster out of the hole and the other person nets it who gets credit for the catch? It seems like catching lobs as a team should be ok (and it probably is with most LEOs), but it is a question that interests me.

At one time I read a quote from a "Marine Patrol" person saying that to count as a limit a person should be able to get in the water and swim around pretty good. This seems to me a more reasonable interpretation of the limit laws. What say you all?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Sopchoppy RedneckSopchoppy Redneck Officer Posts: 1,421 Officer
    A person must be CAPABLE of catching whatever you are fishing for "or catching in this case" in order for them to be included in a limit. By law, each person must catch their own limit. That being said, unless the officer stays right with you and watches each fish or lobster come aboard the boat, there is no way that they can say a person did not catch their own limit! To your question, the person netting the lobster is considered the catcher and you should rotate being the chaser and the catcher :-)
    YouDontLikeMe.jpg
  • mannn123mannn123 Deckhand Posts: 133 Deckhand
    A person must be CAPABLE of catching whatever you are fishing for "or catching in this case" in order for them to be included in a limit. By law, each person must catch their own limit.

Rather a person must participate in the harvest to be counted for a limit. They have to do more than be capable of (ie. actually participate) but they don't necessarily have to do the catching. One person could tickle lobster out for example, and the other catch them. Maybe the first person can't catch one, but he/she is participating.
  • GeorgePGeorgeP Greenhorn Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    mannn123 wrote: »
    Rather a person must participate in the harvest to be counted for a limit. They have to do more than be capable of (ie. actually participate) but they don't necessarily have to do the catching. One person could tickle lobster out for example, and the other catch them. Maybe the first person can't catch one, but he/she is participating.

There is a TV show titled "The world's dumbest criminals". I am retired LEO, and a simple piece of advise. If you have two people on board and you are ask by a LEO how many did you catch, DON'T say "I caught 11 and he/she caught 1. At that point, you have backed the LEO into a corner and they must write the citation. Just say we each caught 6 and that's you story and STICK to it. Oh, and make sure that both people actually went into the water.

:beer :beer :beer
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Officer Posts: 1,357 Officer
    GeorgeP wrote: »
    There is a TV show titled "The world's dumbest criminals". I am retired LEO, and a simple piece of advise. If you have two people on board and you are ask by a LEO how many did you catch, DON'T say "I caught 11 and he/she caught 1. At that point, you have backed the LEO into a corner and they must write the citation. Just say we each caught 6 and that's you story and STICK to it. Oh, and make sure that both people actually went into the water.
    :beer :beer :beer

Agree, and don't have two adults and a 3 year old onboard with 18 lobsters, and say the 3 year old caught their limit.:facepalm