Wading...Waders, Wading Boots, Sneakers, or Barefoot?

BasstarBasstar Posts: 513 Officer
I just spent a month wading the Ft. Myers Beach area and had the time of my life!

It was so different than my previous freshwater fishing which is almost 100% from a boat.

I like the idea of wading barefoot but was told to slide my feet as to not step on a ray which was fine but a few slides into some sharp shells and stones left a nick or two and a couple of sore toes! I switched to sneakers.

But, I saw some anglers wearing chest waders and some wearing small wading rubber wading boots.

I am a total newbie in this arena and would like to hear the opinions of some of the "pros" here.

For those of you who get to fish like this regularly, I can tell you that I am definitely a bit jealous!

Replies

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,376 Captain
    For the reasons you pointed out, I'd say some kind of "sneaker". Still gotta shuffle the feet! The information agaisnt covered feet says you cant feel what your stepping on leaving you vulnerable to an angry, pinned down stingray. Its not only the feet you gotta worry about when you fluster them. They whip that tail and bust you anywhere it lands. Does the shuffle work? Im sure its better to do it than not but in my experience they let me get to close for comfort. I dont even want to kick one which happens frequently. I prefer not to wade just for this reason. Call me soft but it stresses me out, man...
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    for the winter months ,stocking foot waders and wading boots ,linked below. (wear sweat pants underneath for cold days)

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Finley-River-StockingFoot-Chest-Waders-for-Men/product/44596/

http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Flats-Boots-for-Men/product/55184/

warm weather months I wear nylon shorts that dry quick and columbia drainmakers with ankle socks.
    all though I was thinking about springing for a pair of these.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/flats-sneaker.html

wash your shoes out real good with the water hose when you get home..sometimes I throw them in washer with some towels after I have rinsed them out with the hose.

Yes shuffling the feet does help. If you wade long enough you will get hit. Those sneakers above have pretty good protection.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    wading boots
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    This is what I wear. 7mm thick diving boots (I also dive so they serve a second purpose. I had a blue crab attack my heel last trip, which would have hurt barefoot.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I prefer not to wade just for this reason. Call me soft but it stresses me out, man...

I don't know why, but I laughed really hard when I read this! You are funny! You made my day, thanks!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 513 Officer
    Thanks guys. It appears my decision to wear sneakers wasn't so off the wall after all.

I did some online "shopping" and noticed the wading boots such as these:

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Dogwood-Canyon-Rubber-Lug-Sole-Wading-Boots-for-Men/product/10201591/

These would give some ankle support and a little protection from a ray sting down low I would think.

Does anyone use something like this or are these only if one is wearing stockingfoot waders?

Again thanks for the input as this is all brand new to me.
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    I always wear some thing on my feet while wading. Too many chances for injury even when you can see the bottom. I picked up a pair of Orvis Silver Sonic waders last year for when the water gets cold. They are great. convertible from chest to waist, lots of pockets and very comfortable. If you decide to get waders make sure you buy breathable waders. The non-breathable kind get really hot and make you sweat until you have puddles inside them. I use Simms rivershed boots. They are a little big without the sock foot waders but I can still wear them and be comfortable.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Basstar wrote: »
    Thanks guys. It appears my decision to wear sneakers wasn't so off the wall after all.

I did some online "shopping" and noticed the wading boots such as these:

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Dogwood-Canyon-Rubber-Lug-Sole-Wading-Boots-for-Men/product/10201591/

These would give some ankle support and a little protection from a ray sting down low I would think.

Does anyone use something like this or are these only if one is wearing stockingfoot waders?

Again thanks for the input as this is all brand new to me.

Nothing will protect from a barb unless it is designed too. I would say to get something made for saltwater though.
  • ChevyCruzeChevyCruze Posts: 43 Deckhand
    I had a blue crab attack my heel last trip, which would have hurt barefoot.

I agree.. I got pinched on the toe by a blue crab wading around ft desoto barefoot. Stung like a MF. Took the toenail a while to grow out. I learned my lesson the hard way and always wear wading boots from **** when I now go. They were only $35. Cheaper than a trip to the ER if you step on a rusty hook.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    You will broil your nuts down there wearing chest waders.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Haha^ yeah, shorts and wading booties are all you need...
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Geeeeesus dat wuz funneeeeeeee
    Element wrote: »
    You will broil your nuts down there wearing chest waders.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    fishboy wrote: »
    Haha^ yeah, shorts and wading booties are all you need...

I've never felt a need for waders, though I always wear thinner pants to block jellyfish.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 513 Officer
    The more I have read this a couple of times, it appears that 90% of the time some sort of footwear will suffice and waders aren't necessary. I have one more scenario.

I have not fished there yet, but was talking with a couple of guys who fish some of the back bay area and they say the mud and muck around the mangroves is deep and sticky and will almost pull your shoes off and of course the mud from how it sounds would be "icky" on one's legs and feet.

Does my description make sense? How do you guys handle this, would the wading/ diving boots stay on OK in this situation, would waders be preferable, etc?

Again thanks.

BTW, if ever I can return the favor concerning bass fishing in rivers, lakes, etc., outside of Florida, please feel free to touch base. Perhaps I can help.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. It will pull off the ankle cut "water shoes" most stores sell, but high boots will not be affected. Main thing to do in that situation, as in all situations, is shuffle. Not only will it protect from rays to an extent, you will put less weight down at a time, sinking in less.