Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Minesweeper...are my numbers even close?

I've searched for this thing a few times and can't find it. I remember when I found the Paddlewheeler it wasn't where it was supposed to be...all three parts that I found anyway. Went out to that R tower one day...bunch of guys all tied off in this little bitty area lookin over their shoulders like I might steal a fish. I didn't want any part of that nonsense so I went and searched for the Paddlewheeler.

My numbers are just the public ones available to everyone. All I wanna know is are they close? I'm not asking for your numbers...not that they wouldn't be appreciated of course...but it is kinda fun to find the stuff myself. If gas wasn't so darn expensive and movin higher for sure maybe I wouldn't ask.

Here's what I have:
26 05.884 82 02.134

26 09.457 82 02.133

You see the problem here, right? It seemed like a solution actually. I figured I could go to the 26 09 site and hunt around then from there head due south since my longitude was nearly the same. I can't find squat. If you've seen it on your bottom machine, or dove it or fished it just throw an ol' dog a bone and give me a hint.

Thanks...

Replies

• tg.tg. Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Not sure if I'm going to be any help. I have that same number (26 09.....) and haven't found anything there either. But I also have 7 other numbers that are labelled some sort of variation of "minesweeper." Some are close but others are not. Haven't looked at all of them yet. Sorry.
  • nobrainsnobrains Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Thanks tg...it helps a lot because at least I know I'm not the only one who can't find it right off. If you had said go to the 26 09 site and look down dummy....that would've helped too in a different sort of way. :huh I have to figure that if you've looked around there and I have too, maybe it's not there and I can scratch that number off the list. I know those TeaCup ledges are supposed to be around there too. My problem there is I don't know what ledges look like on a machine. A big echo like bridge rubble and stuff...yeah I got that. Ledges...I don't have a clue.

I've seen some other numbers for minesweeper, maybe from a dive site...can't remember. I'll post some if I do. Once in a while when out just floatin' around I'll see a single boat in the vicinity..roughly. But, I'm also thinking maybe that's that guy's special hot spot...and it's very poor form to even get within marking distance so I motor on. It's been the same with that Cuban ship, the Santa Lucia. I've never actually seen the thing on my machine because when I'm approaching there's always a few boats already anchored. But that's a public number so I have to figure they wouldn't all be anchored there if there wasn't anything there so basically they're telling me this is the right spot. That works for me right now.
  • Snook69Snook69 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Sounds stupid but i wish I had my old Loran sometimes. Much more accurate then alot of my same GPS numbers.
  • tg.tg. Posts: 139 Deckhand
    You can actually see the cuban without the machine as long as the water is a little clearer.
  • nobrainsnobrains Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Snook69 wrote: »
    Sounds stupid but i wish I had my old Loran sometimes. Much more accurate then alot of my same GPS numbers.
    From what I hear that's not stupid at all. I guess converting Loran to GPS isn't an exact sort of thing. So you figure maybe a Loran number was a smidge off and a storm here and there shifts things followed by a change to GPS and now I'm trying to find it in 40' feet of water hoping I run dead over it! Seems I might have a better chance gettin a date with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Hey tg thanks for that tip! I'm lookin forward to that. I should try and visit the wreck during the week on one of these days when it's flat smooth and clear green like a pond. It's still amazing to me that this huge gulf can get that way. Not even a ripple sometimes.