Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Food plots

Have any of you ever planted trophy radishes in your food plots? I did this year in a 3 acre food plot that we planted in wheat and arrow leaf clover. I only planted the radishes in a small area trying to draw deer in closer to a stand location. Anyway they are eating the tops out but not eating the actual radish and they are huge. I can see where they have taken a nibble on the radish when eating the tops but I thought they would be hammering them by now. Are they not ripe enough?

Here are some pics.

0EE3E5F9-5043-4ECC-BADB-8E89E29D3118-5165-000005CC28C53637.jpg

DA4DF23C-20EC-40AE-AAE4-D234B9390DD9-5165-000005CC7720DEC0.jpg

24CAEAC1-DC59-47F2-9355-430E1C9E2212-5165-000005CC88A6418D.jpg
Can't never did try!

Replies

• ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I'm no help there but dang those are beautiful plots.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Can't give you any answers on the radishes but I second what dnf said.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Thirded. Don't think they eat the tuber...
  • StonewallStonewall Posts: 848 Officer
    I was almost positive I read an article that the deer loved the tubers after ripening with freezing temps,if I remember correctly this was in more northern climates but the deer actually would paw them up out of the snow. Maybe that's my problem a lack of frigid temps.

All our food plots look incredible for this time of year with the mild temps as they did last winter. We have 20 acres of food plots and a few of the smaller onesl look like a manicured lawn from the deer hammering them. Our larger plots are probably 10 to 12 inches deep. The deer couldn't keep up with them and now the wheat has matured to the point they are not even eating it just eating the clover we mixed in with it.
    Can't never did try!
  • ebryantebryant Posts: 47 Deckhand
    We have about 30 acres of clover, wheat, chickory, dakion radish mix. The deer pull the raddish out of the ground and eat on them. I have noticed it mostly after our season ends probally due to the colder weather.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    They will eat the radish but usually after they are done with the tops and the tops keep growing back as they eat them. I'm going to say your plot is to big for them to keep up with. Another thing is the TR does not have to have a frost on them before the deer will eat them. there are some good pics on GON of TR plots that are mowed down but then again that is all that was planted in the plots. They are also good for the soil.

I have 13 or so planted in my garden area. I have been growing them for a few yrs and collecting the seeds and then plant them in the plot at the house. I'll get 2-3 gallons of seed from these. The deer keep them mowed down. Call me crazy (because I called my dad's freind that when he told us this until we tried it) but you can cut them up like fries and fry them. They are actually good to eat. taste like a sweet french fry.

This is a gallon jug beside the TR

0130131706a.jpg
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Thanks MM, the radishes are only in about a 1/2 acre of that 3 acre food plot. I'm beginning to think there is just so much food with all our plots so lush and as you said the tops keep growing on the radishes that there is no need to eat the actual radish. I was hoping it would be like apples and pull them in like a magnet.

I'll have to pull me one up and fry it up next time I'm out there.
    Can't never did try!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    Cut the size down. Plant the front half of that plot and let the back half grow up natural in weeds and grasses/fennel and mow some strips in it. One place I hunt they guy had a few 2-3 ac plots. We'd see deer in them but rarely a good buck. This yr we only planted a 1/2 ac section in the center and let the rest all around it grow up natural any where from waist to head high. he killed a good buck in it mid way through the season and saw several more that he passed.

don't get me wrong, a big green plot sure is pretty as is yours but sometimes you have to change things up from yr to yr.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    That food plot along with one other that is 2 acres are our 2 biggest food plots and we don't really hunt them till the last few weeks of the season if we need to thin some does out. The rest of the season we are bow only. We have 14 food plots that make up the 20 acres and several are smaller good hunting food plots. We do hunt trails going into these bigger plots and try to catch a good buck scent checking the plots for does.

We are going to plant that plot in alfalfa this spring had my soil test done and am ordering my lime next week. I also need to do another subsoil test (15" deep).
    Can't never did try!
    They deer are now devouring the radishes. Was out this weekend and it was amazing, in the last two weeks they started pulling the radishes out of the ground and chowing down. Should have some healthy deer running around our property the mild winter and rain the last couple months have made our food plots looking awesome a lot of groceries out there for them.
    Can't never did try!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    That is a Japanese Daikon type radish, and YOU need to be eating them also! I grow these things and sell them like crazy at the local Farmer's Market here in Talla. I bet I sold over 50 pounds yeaterday at the market. Substitute 'em for mashed potatoes, or mash 'em up like potatoes and add about an equal amount of cooked cauliflower or broccoli. Or shred them and add to salads. I grow a variety of this radish from seeds given to me by a friend, a research agronomist from Nepal, that is very mild and delicious raw also. Also make excellent pickles I'm told.

As you can see, deer will eat hell out of 'em also. Get a custom blend of fertilizer with about 17% P2O5 in it and use this on the food plots and you'll notice a significant increase in antler mass in a couple of years. Not points, now, but increased mass :wink.
    That is a Japanese Daikon type radish, and YOU need to be eating them also! I grow these things and sell them like crazy at the local Farmer's Market here in Talla. I bet I sold over 50 pounds yeaterday at the market. Substitute 'em for mashed potatoes, or mash 'em up like potatoes and add about an equal amount of cooked cauliflower or broccoli. Or shred them and add to salads. I grow a variety of this radish from seeds given to me by a friend, a research agronomist from Nepal, that is very mild and delicious raw also. Also make excellent pickles I'm told.

As you can see, deer will eat hell out of 'em also. Get a custom blend of fertilizer with about 17% P2O5 in it and use this on the food plots and you'll notice a significant increase in antler mass in a couple of years. Not points, now, but increased mass :wink.

Thanks woodsrunner my soil test I had done actually calls for P2o5 at the rate of 90 lbs an acre.
    Can't never did try!