Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Round Island camping this weekend.

Planning on camping on one of the spoil Islands this weekend with my girl and have a couple of questions. We've done a ton of camping in Flamingo and Cayo Costa and was wondering if there is a lot of traffic people wise since I see houses and buildings in the area on Google Earth or if it's somewhat secluded like the beaches of east cape or cayo costa. I will be trailering a 12 ft aluminum skiff with a 15 and plan on using the Round island ramp and hope to find a few fish. Was wondering if I could buy shrimp there or if there is a bait shop near the marina.

Any advice is greatly appreciate my girl and I are always looking for new places to camp and fish.

Dingo

Replies

• gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    No bait at Round island. If you're coming from the south after you cross the north bridge at Ft Pierce, there's Little Jim Bait and Tackle on the right. If from the north and you cross the north bridge at Vero, there's bait at Vero Bait & Tackle at the foot of the bridge east end.
    Insofar as camping, if you come out of the channel at Round Island and head south on the ICW you'll pass several islands with crude camping and fire pit areas.
    Have fun.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    There are a lot of islands to choose from. Check out a few before deciding. I like the one with the lagoon hidden between two islands. I think its the fourth one up from the bridge. You are probably launching at the Fort Pierce ramp on N Hutchinson so as mentioned by Gerry you can get shrimp at Littlejims.You might want to bring along some firewood. The no -see-ems can get bad at sunset.
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    I love to Camp and Fish the Spoil Island and my favorite by far is the one with the small channel or lagoon on it from Round Island I think it is five or six islands down, you can't miss it though. Nice place, pick the camping spots on the small hill and you will pick up a pretty good breeze at night.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • MandMand Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the quick replies. Sucks that there won't be much bait because I will have a cast net/sabiki and whenever exploring somewhere new it's always been easiest for me to connect with livies but I will do the best I can with shrimp and arti's if anything. I was thinking of using the Round Island boat ramp but need to find out if I can leave the truck and trailer there Fri.-Sun. The lagoon Island sounds great and the fact that I there are multiple islands may give me the solitude I desire. I have given google maps a look and will probably by a top spots of the area too. Firewood is a definite go and I will be packing skin-so-soft for the No-seeums.

I've checked out a ton of reports and a few youtube videos and am pretty excited .
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    I think Round Island parking lot closes at dusk. But you can overnight at the ramp across from little jim's (Stan Blum Memorial Boat Ramp - http://www.stlucieco.gov/beaches/21.htm ) and the go north up the ICW.

Confirmed - no overnight parking at round island http://www.ircgov.com/Departments/General_Services/Parks/Round_Island_Riverside_Park.htm
  • MandMand Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info but unfortunately we are going to have to post pone it for next weekend. Had an unexpected doggie bill pop but luckily he's ok so we are just going next weekend and will be better prepared. Will be going through the forum search option and google earth to hopefully enough info to do well with the fish.

Thanks again for all the good info.