Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Upper Loxahatchee River snnok 2/25/2013

I fished the upper Loxahatchee River yesterday in my kayak and had a stellar day catching common and fat snook between Riverbend Park and Trapper Nelsons. I was using live bait. I landed 28 of the 38 snook I hooked (all released). I was using 6 lb. mono (we do not fish with braid in the upper river because it is too hard to break when you get snagged on a tree in the current) with a 15 lb. fluorocarbon leader and a 1/0 Kahle hook on short custom made spinning rod that a friend built specifically for fishing tight places on the Loxahatchee River. I did not catch a single bass, tarpon or to my pleasant surprise gar all day. I did add a two lb. jack south of the Indiantown Road bridge way up in the fresh water. My son fished up there last week and found the fish as well fishing in our Native Watercraft tandem with a friend. I had the camera but never got around to taking any photos. The fish move around but my son has identified a number of go to locations along the river that I have borrowed from him. If you go back there be careful of where you fish and pay attention to the gators. There are some big ones that are protective of their stretch of the river and the males are out looking for love in the spring and can be aggressive. Last spring I had a large gator come crashing through the brush and launch itself off a high bank in my direction as I was paddling by. It came off the bank like a giant flying squirrel and scared the ... out of me.

Fireman Bill

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Great report. That is A LOT of snook!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    cool report! Did you put in at riverbend? Live shrimp? Great job!
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Great report... That area is beautiful... I've surfed my whole life and never worried about sharks, but something about gators freaks me out a bit, espeically sitting in a Kayak... Any slots on the Snook?
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Nice job on the snook! And that's why you have to carry a gun for protection
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    GREAT report, we used to fish back there all the time. WAY cool when you can "slam" snook, tarpon, bass, and swordspine in one brush pile!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    We used to fish the spillway out west when i was a kid..Caught a lot of tarpon and snook.
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 578 Officer
    My son has done the four snook slam; common, fat, swordspine and tarpon snook in the same day and we have both done the bass, snook tarpon slam. We have never caught a slot or over slot fish west of the Turnpike but there are some very large fish from the Turnpike to Trapper Nelson's. There is no way we can stop a big fish with the tiny tackle we use in the upper river. When I launch the kayak or our skiff at Jonathan Dickinson and work west to Trapper Nelson's I bring much heavier tackle to fish that stretch of the river. I twice tried slow trolling big live mullet up towards Trapper Nelson but both times I had an osprey pick up the mullet. It sounded like a wahoo hit.

Fireman Bill
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    28-38.....outstanding! but........:hairraiser

Last spring I had a large gator come crashing through the brush and launch itself off a high bank in my direction as I was paddling by. It came off the bank like a giant flying squirrel and scared the ... out of me. Fireman Bill
    LastMango wrote: »
    never worried about sharks, but something about gators freaks me out a bit, espeically sitting in a Kayak...

Yeah, exactly. No chance now I'll ever do any kayak fishing in Florida.
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Demarzac wrote: »

Try duck hunting at an STA :)
  • zzzzzzsplashzzzzzzsplash Posts: 499 Deckhand
    Cool report, sounds like lots of fun
  • Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    Demarzac wrote: »

When you spook a Gator, whether on boat or foot, it will instinctively run for the closest safe place it sees: the water. when kayaking past them, it may seem like they are coming into the water to get you, but they are really trying to hide from you by submerging in the water. I understand it IS scary, one time I almost pooped myself when I didn't see the gator and he launched towards me into the water, but they are not being aggressive when they do this, quite the opposite. I Have a healthy respect for gators, and wouldn't dream of messing with one, but in a kayak I feel pretty safe.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Only time they will bother you is if they are fed by people. That is why I hate fishing residential areas.