Skip to main content
Home Boating

Common places for a leak?

PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I have a new to me Grady White with factory installed Bennett trim tabs. The reservoir was full when I bought the boat but after using them once in heavy seas it is now low. I see no oily discharge in the bilge and the actuators are not oily. There is not a puddle under the pump. It's difficult to get to most of the system's tubing. The easiest parts are the pump and reservoir and then the actuators. All the lines are hidden in rigging tubes and in the hull where I can't get to them to inspect them. Where are the common leaks found if any?

Replies

• Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I'm sure no expert on these, I'm having problems with mine right now too. My question to you is, are your tabs working fine right now? If so you might not have a leak. The level of fluid in the reservoir will go up and down according to the position of the tabs according to all I have read. Get in touch with Mr. M.J. Thomas from Bennett and he is very helpful with any problems you have: www.bennetttrimtabs.com

Or phone him @ (954) 427-1400
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
    No, they only go a little ways down and then you can hear the pump sucking air. The fluid level should be checked with the tabs fully retracted and when they are I only have maybe 1" of fluid, if that.
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Phinatical,

Sorry for the delay in responding!

Can you tell me how old your Grady is?

You may have a leaking O-ring in one of the actuators (rams). They are easy to replace and I would be delighted to send you new ones with instructions how to change them at no charge.

Just send your name and address to [email protected] and I will send them right out.

Tom McGow
    Bennett Marine
  • PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
    The boat is a 2001. I Filled the reservoir up this weekend and actuated them down and up several times. I do not see a leak anywhere. Maybe they were never full and I was mistaken at the fluid level when I sea-trialed the boat. I will continue to monitor them and if I find a leak I will let you know where. Thanks for the offer on the o-rings.
  • TabmanTabman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Phinatical,

A good way to test for leaks is to put both Trim Tabs fully down overnight. If there is a leak one or both Trim Tabs will retract as pressure is lost.

Tom
    Bennett Marine