Upper Keys Nautical Flea Market?

We've never been to it but plan to go on Sunday afternoon around 2-ish. We'll be looking for some cool art work type stuff for the new fixer-upper that we recently bought.

Any advice on parking?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BigguyBigguy Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Sunday afternoon should not be too busy. The bulk of the people have already been there. Across the street at that time should work
  • KeyzNCKeyzNC Posts: 143 Officer
    Just an FYI on Sunday it ends at 3 - that doesn't give you a lot of time.
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
    Custom Fishing Apparel, Specializing in Sublimation
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Hay Gary

I would go early Saturday while there is still some nice chit left the later you go ther more picked through it is. When driving down to founders park once you go across Tavenier Creek bridge about a half mile south you will see the high school on the east side of US1 you can park and ride a buss from their or take old US1 it starts right at the school it will take you all the way their and you can park right off the road.Have fun My Kids took over my place this weekend. just as well I don't need any more crap in the Garage.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 974 Officer
    I agree...get there Saturday morning early. Arrive at 8am or before.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    Yeah, the problem is that the Boss is flying into town on Saturday evening and the earliest we can get down there is 1:30-2pm-ish on Sunday.......

We'll have to take what we can get at that time.....
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Well Gary, the good thing you have going for you is that by 2:00 on Sunday, the vendors are ready to make a deal. It's an hour before they have to pack all their crap back up and they'd much rather cut their losses and move merchandise than load it back up.
    Backlash wrote: »
    Well Gary, the good thing you have going for you is that by 2:00 on Sunday, the vendors are ready to make a deal. It's an hour before they have to pack all their crap back up and they'd much rather cut their losses and move merchandise than load it back up.

Hey, good point!! We'll be sure to bring plenty of cash.....

Thanks for the parking info......
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Gmon we have been several times. Def work a look around.
    Bingo! Got there about 1:15 and found a guy backing out off Old Dixie right in front!

Wasn't in there 5 minutes and ran into our friend Jim from Krazy James Nautical Books! I've bought many books from him over the last 10 years or so and 2 years ago he came to my house and bought 52 of MY books from me! I'm currently reading one that I bought from him last month at the Pompano Beach Nautical Flea Market.

Next spot we found a great piece of art work that we knew right away would go great over the bed in the guest room. The guy was anxious to unload so we bought it and another piece for a nice combination price. The big one is kind of a 3-D metal art work thing that looks great on the wall!

008_zps450619c3.jpg

The little snapper piece was $15 but goes really well on the hallway leading into the guest room.......

005_zpsc2fd3f26.jpg

But the really good score was when we talked to an art vender who had sold us a Tripp Harrison print last month in Pompano. It's a gorgeous painting of "Stiltsville" near Cape Florida in Biscayne Bay. That print means a lot to me as I have been running through there in boats since 1980. We told him how awesome that print looks in our Keys house and we also talked about a specific print that he had today of a Chalk's seaplane landing in Bimini Harbour. Having been going to Bimini for 25 years, this also "meant" a lot to me. We walked away but continued talking about how much we liked the print and then we thought about how awesome it would be on the same wall as the Stiltsville print....... we turned right around and went back to the vendor! He gave us a really good price (framed too!) and we soon were on our way back to the car..... smiling from ear to ear! :hail

001_zps00d9f626.jpg

Here are both........

011_zpsc939f5e7.jpg

So thanks guys! We got great parking, got some great deals, some cold beer and I even got a 16 oz Bud for a buck as we were walking out!
  • capt benjcapt benj Posts: 125 Officer
    I love the bimini print, very nice.
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Looking good Gmon. This is the Tripp that we have. It reminds me of being a kid and hanging on my Grand parents Dock on Sarasota Bay. The frame on the Bimini one is exactly like every painting/prints we have in our down stairs. I'll bet it's the same guy we bought ours from,

Keyes-Whaler_11965827064d6234ec2b60b2.55105304.jpg
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    WHEW!! I was afraid I might see a wooden Bimini Big Game sign that you "picked up" in the neighborhood.:wink

Place looks GREAT!! Love the new art work. I noticed in the bedroom a small red painting of palm tree. Any chance that's by David Delacruz?
    Place looks GREAT!! Love the new art work. I noticed in the bedroom a small red painting of palm tree. Any chance that's by David Delacruz?

We bought the red palm tree piece in the gift shop at Old Bahama Bay in West End, Grand Bahama so I'm going guess that it's not by Delacruz. No name on it.......

We were very impressed by the Flea Market as it was the first time that we had visited that one. A lot of the same vendors as in Pompano, but many new ones for us as well. One vendor had a huge plastic shark in their display (they were selling dry chum) and this morning coming up the T-Pike, we passed these same folks, with the huge shark on a trailer behind them! :hairraiser