Nikon D7000 lens

Since my new camera (Nikon D7000) is to arrive within the next few days I decided I need to just go ahead and upgrade to a better lens for longer distance.

The two lenses I see are

AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Telephoto Zoom Nikkor Lens

Not really sure of what the difference is between the two,but would rather spend the extra money if need be.a firm believer in getting what you pay for.
Thank you
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
Ronald Reagan

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    Of those two the 70-300VR is the better optically and also has some handling advantages. The 55-300 is smaller and lighter and a bit cheaper though. The Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD is also supposedly pretty good.

If you will be at the 300mm stop all the time you may wish to consider the discontinued 300mm F4 prime with the screwdrive focus mechanism. It will cost about the same and optically is much better and is faster (lower f-stop) than the other options and cheaper actually than the 70-300VR if buying that new. It's big and heavy but not onerously so. Most of the pics I have posted here use that lens.

You can look at what KEH has used to get some idea of prices. I bought my 70-300 VR from KEH as well as a flash and teleconverter, no complaints at all.
  • TurkeymasterTurkeymaster Posts: 210 Officer
    Thank you Chuck...I think I will go with the 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Telephoto Zoom Nikkor Lens
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth ...
    Ronald Reagan
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    300mm f/4. A used one with ED glass commonly can be purchase for around $625 or so. In my viewpoint this lens is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM lens for reaching out there and touching something.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    KEH often has them for under $500.00. I paid a local photog $400 for mine. Plus, you can add a TC to it and have a 420mm 5.6 that produces better images than the 70-300's.
    I ordered a new 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Telephoto Zoom Nikkor Lens for 589.00 before I had rechecked for further messages.I hope I did alright.
    Thank you gentleman for all your kind help.
    Ronald Reagan
    This reads like you pulled the trigger a touch too soon.
    http://nikonrumors.com/
    Text:
    A major new Nikon US rebate program will be introduced this Saturday at midnight. I do not have all the details yet, but many lenses (including some of the Nikon's best selling glass) will be up to several hundred dollars off. You will not be required to buy a body in order to qualify for the new rebates. Stay tuned for more details. My guess is that those new rebates are the result of the company's bad third quarter financial report - Nikon is probably trying to move inventory in order to meet their goals. The current combo rebates will remain active for now.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/#ixzz2Kv4ZfGuA
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    You did fine. You can return it if you change your mind anyway.
    Hmm, interesting post regarding the rebates. I have seen the 55-300 lens sell for $249 after rebate in the past. I don't recall the 70-300VR having a rebate for the lens alone but it may happen.
    I look forward to everything getting here.I was out in one of my turkey huntin' spots this past Saturday with the little Canon power shot and really want to start taking some decent pictures as I feel I can do much better with experience and the proper camera equipment.

I blurred one as the gobbler caught me moving in the blind and the hen came out alright.I just need a quality camera as much time as I spend out in the woods photographing.

At least I can delete bad pictures...hard to imagine when photos had to be developed.

IMG_0151_zps84168143.jpg

IMG_0150_zps50e74936.jpg
    Ronald Reagan
    This reads like you pulled the trigger a touch too soon.
    http://nikonrumors.com/
    Text:
    A major new Nikon US rebate program will be introduced this Saturday at midnight. I do not have all the details yet, but many lenses (including some of the Nikon's best selling glass) will be up to several hundred dollars off. You will not be required to buy a body in order to qualify for the new rebates. Stay tuned for more details. My guess is that those new rebates are the result of the company's bad third quarter financial report - Nikon is probably trying to move inventory in order to meet their goals. The current combo rebates will remain active for now.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/#ixzz2Kv4ZfGuA

That is how my luck is,but thats alright.:)
    Ronald Reagan
    Turkeymaster:

This one is for you! Jupiter Farms, Palm Beach County. An Oceola Jake but you knew that.

cb0fHIfl.jpg

That is a excellent photo...That is how I want to take photos with the subject in focus and the surroundings blurred.

Thank you for sharing that.

We have taken a few pictures this morning and we have certain areas on the photo screen blinking black and left side bottom of camera blinking yellow (RGB).trying to figure that one out.
    Ronald Reagan
    That is my style.....usually. Isolating the subject from the background through the use of bokeh. This image was shot on a Nikon D90 using a 300mm prime lens at aperture f/4.

You may have the display set to highlight overexposed areas. It will flash those areas that are blown out. You can disable that option in the menu.
    Thanks Chuck...I will check that out right now.
    Ronald Reagan