Kayak shootout

The kayak shootout is starting to come together. We need imput from you as to how you would like to see the kayaks tested and what you look for in a fishing kayak. We will be testing them in groups of three. Thanks for your imput.:USA

FS East,
This is great and helpful information, keep it coming. I’m compiling all of your input and will launch a survey very soon so we can make the Best Boat Shootout Magazine and TV show the very best we can with the boats you are wanting to see.
Thank you!

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    A few suggestions:
    1. Without launching into a long discussion about Primary vs Secondary stability: rate how stable they felt when handling rods, reaching back for bait or gear, and when fighting/landing fish.
    2. Speed: it matters, when you see birds dipping or when bait starts jumping, how fast you can get to the action.
    3. Rate the portage experience: we have kayaks so we can launch from any river/beach/ramp where we are allowed, but if you need a small boat trailer to move that kayak... you get the idea.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    jcanracer wrote: »
    A few suggestions:
    1. Without launching into a long discussion about Primary vs Secondary stability: rate how stable they felt when handling rods, reaching back for bait or gear, and when fighting/landing fish.

x2

How much gear it can hold and be stable. wet and dry storage.

How easy is it to put a fish finder or live well on or even rod holders on.

Weight vs reliability. It's a PIA to lug a heavy yak but it's better then thin skinned one that can hole easily.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    1. Standability
    2. Storage capacity
    3. Offshore vs inshore capable (realistically speaking) anyone can take any kayak offshore but should they?
    4. Weight rigged and empty. Can it be loaded by one man?
    5. Ease of rigging. Some kayaks are rigged easier than others due to specifically designed hardware
    6. Dryness of ride inshore or ease of drainage offshore
    7. Cost
    8. Speed/Tracking
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    jcanracer wrote: »
    A few suggestions:
    1. Without launching into a long discussion about Primary vs Secondary stability: rate how stable they felt when handling rods, reaching back for bait or gear, and when fighting/landing fish..

and perhaps how easy to re-enter after a roll?
    :grin
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Native Slayer 12 vs Jackson Cuda 12
    @ pjstevko I'm curious my self...

I'm 99% sure I getting a Cuda 12 in a couple weeks as my next yak but am curious how people feel about the Slayer......
    Any updates?
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    2013 Malibu X-Factor
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 849 Officer
    yak_angler wrote: »
    and perhaps how easy to re-enter after a roll?
    :grin

Your post is WAY TOO distracting!!:cool:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"